Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM

121 posts, read 313,975 times

Advertisements

Where do you live in Colorado? We are here at the moment (oilfield transfer from South Louisiana) and we leave June 9th from here! I CAN NOT WAIT TO MOVE! While I think Colorado is actually one of the most beautiful states I have ever visited we are so glad to be leaving. We were only living here well because we had no choice :-( It was either get transferred or my husband lose his job he has had for 20 years. I was in complete culture shock moving from South Louisiana to Denver. The people were NOT like from the South at all. I have met a few people here that are nice and will talk to me when I see them but for the most part people aren't friendly at all. This was a HUGE thorn in my side since I talk all the time (I am Cajun haha) and got my feelings hurt alot when people would just turn away. Combine that with the amount of Liberals here and it made us want to move more. Also I thought I'd NEVER say this but I want some humidity in my life ;-) Ok that being said we are moving to Maryville this summer. We have researched the Eastern part of TN for two years now in regards to schools, crime rates, etc. Maryville was a fit we like but there are also some other towns we aren't ruling out. We go in March to buy a house and register for school so if you wanted any info on that side of the state I can try and give you what I have in my notes. I will just say this you might want to visit a few times before moving to get a feel of what area you will like. We have gone so many times it actually hurts to return back here ;-)

Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
I spent last summer in Wyoming where the heat was very dry - had to drink a LOT of water and realized half way through the summer that I had no desire to put salt on my food.

We're back in Tennessee now and I am not looking forward to summer. Many people love the heat and humidity but I find it very very tough to deal with.

Real estate is very reasonably priced. There is an abundance of outdoor recreation. The state is lovely (middle and eastern at least). As someone mentioned there's a fair amount of drugs and trashy people and closed-mindedness, but there are also many good people as well.

Visit - go to places you think you might be interested in living. Talk to people. Walk around. Listen to people in stores and restaurants. Listen and watch critically, but also keep an open mind.

You can read all the stats in the world but you really do have to see the place for yourself. People need jobs and decent salaries and good schools and recreational/social opportunities, but as one who learned the hard way once in my life, it is ultimately the people who make or break a place.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRenee View Post
we are so glad to be leaving. We were only living here well because we had no choice :-( It was either get transferred or my husband lose his job he has had for 20 years. I was in complete culture shock moving from South Louisiana to Denver. The people were NOT like from the South at all. I have met a few people here that are nice and will talk to me when I see them but for the most part people aren't friendly at all. This was a HUGE thorn in my side since I talk all the time (I am Cajun haha) and got my feelings hurt alot when people would just turn away. Combine that with the amount of Liberals here and it made us want to move more.-)
I have a feeling this is going to be me in a year, only the opposite...Culture shock of the south. Me, Pining for Northern California, 7-day week farmers markets, cycling heaven, wine and liberals. (and for sf, I'm a conservative!)

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I have a feeling this is going to be me in a year, only the opposite...Culture shock of the south. Me, Pining for Northern California, 7-day week farmers markets, cycling heaven, wine and liberals. (and for sf, I'm a conservative!)
Depends on where you are moving to in Tennessee. You are far off the mark for some areas of Tennessee, that's for sure. I have to say you have some very stereotypical views and people with preconceived notions don't usually do that well when moving anywhere.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Depends on where you are moving to in Tennessee. You are far off the mark for some areas of Tennessee, that's for sure. I have to say you have some very stereotypical views and people with preconceived notions don't usually do that well when moving anywhere.
I don't find that stereotypical and a case of preconceived notions... they don't like some things about Tennessee & the South in general.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I don't find that stereotypical and a case of preconceived notions... they don't like some things about Tennessee & the South in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I have a feeling this is going to be me in a year, only the opposite...Culture shock of the south.

Really?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Without ever being here, it is certainly a preconceived notion. According to you, they don't like the South. Kind of rush to judgement since they haven't been here, dontcha think? By the way, I made the comment because there is a farmer's market here 7 days a week. We have a very liberal mayor and a fairly liberal city core. There are a lot of bike enthusiasts in the area and the 43 miles of greenways and an experimental bike share at UT are part of that. So how is that a culture shock? Hummm?

And why are you speaking for them?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,413 times
I took their comments to mean they are living in Tennessee and want to move to Northern California because they do not like the South. I take your comments as a reaction to not liking the South. Plenty of people do not certain areas of the country, even areas of the country where they were born and grew up. There's no shortage of native Tennesseans living in other parts of the country because they "got tired of living in the South".

Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I took their comments to mean they are living in Tennessee and want to move to Northern California because they do not like the South. I take your comments as a reaction to not liking the South. Plenty of people do not certain areas of the country, even areas of the country where they were born and grew up. There's no shortage of native Tennesseans living in other parts of the country because they "got tired of living in the South".
No. They've never lived in the South. They live in Northern California now.

I don't like the South? Are you kidding?

You might want to get everything sorted out before commenting.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've been there. I will be giving up a lot, but it's only one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee