Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2006, 11:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times

Advertisements

I noticed alot of people here asking about how much snow we get here in East TN and I found some snow pictures of the last few years, in different counties, so here they are!
These were taken in February 04 in our yard in Greene Co.

Here are some that were taken Feb of 06 in our neighborhood in Gray (Washington County)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times
Is it true that they close schools and the such when it snows in the South? It takes 50 mile per hour winds and 12 inches of snow for our schools to close!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 AM

First snowflake falls, buses bring kids home, Yes, it is true. Being raised and gone through school in CT, this is VERY funny to me LOL!!!!

Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 AM

203 posts, read 765,971 times
Those are some great pix, mbmouse! Thanks for sharing. I have one question, though. How often does it snow like that and how long does it stay on the ground?

My family and I are considering moving in a couple of years. Georgia has been our main focus, but we are definately looking at other states in the same vicinity. We just can't live where it snows much more than a few inches a year. We are all Northern California born and bred - we like warm.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 AM

130 posts, read 475,106 times
where is this that there would be so much snow? is this the norm?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 AM

Hi CAtoGA,
It doesn't snow here near enough for me! hahahha It is usually only a few inches at a time, we are thrilled to death if it is more than an inch. It usually is all gone by the next day. However, there are many days in the winter where I feel frustrated because in my opinion if it is cold to the point where I have to put on a big coat, hat and gloves, dang it! There should be snow on the ground! hahahaha So it's not just cold when it snows, there are plenty of days in the winter months when it is cold, but no snow. Now in the 10 years I have been here, it has never gotten to 0 degrees, but it has hit the teens for a day or two.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryn View Post
where is this that there would be so much snow? is this the norm?
The top 3 pictures were at our house in western Greene Co, in 2004, that snow was gone by that night. Looks like a lot but it was wet, notice the road in the top picture, clear as a bell.
The bottom 3 pictures were taken this past February at our house in Gray (Washington Co) and it was gone within two hours. Poor kids couldn't even make a snowman, was just a dusting.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 AM

203 posts, read 765,971 times
Thanks for the info. I guess my next question is - do you get any tornados in your area? I have lived through earthquakes no problem, hurricanes used to scare me, but I've decided that since you can basically see them coming with enough time to prepare, I could deal. Tornados, on the other hand, there's very little warning. What can you share about that?

Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 AM

I have lived in East TN for 10 years, only once which was back in 98' was there even a warning for a tornado east of Knoxville and even then there never was one, just conditions right for one to possibly form.
We are very protected here in the valley (foothills of the Smokies and Clinch Mnts) from major weather, such as hurricanes that come inland NC, Blizzards that come down from North VA, and tornado's that come up Tornado alley. (that alley stops just the west side of Knoxville.)
Weather, cost of living and schools were the main reasons I moved here from FL. I was just so sick of boarding up my house and leaving 2 and 3 times a year for hurricane scares in FL. Never been an issue here and hope it never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee