Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 AM

473 posts, read 701,064 times

Advertisements

hello, everyone. I've been reading threads for a few hours every day or so for a week now, and figured I'd just jump in and ask some questions.

My husband & I live nr Sarasota, FL. (beautiful, but exploding with development and all that brings!) and we've decided (after the requisite reading, online stuff, etc) that we want to move to Tennessee. (Yes, we'll be visiting all the likely areas first!!) We want to be near the middle of the state, not especially close to Nashville, but close enough to some small city/town that has a decent hospital, something like HomeDepot and WalMart, a good library. Not a backwater, but not an up-and-coming area, either. I get alarmed when I do the real estate searches and see cookie-cutter houses with 31foot wide lots! We definitely want some space around our house and prefer 2-10 acres, but it could be a good-sized city lot in the right town. We've found homes we like the looks of in Columbia, Pulaski (several), Wartrace, McMinnville, Portland, Manchester -- in other words, all over the middle of the state.

I'm a retired RN and my husband now works for Publix and would like to transfer to another one, so being within 20 miles of a Publix store would be a plus. I'm an avid gardener; we have 2 small dogs and would like a nice level area for all that. The house must be modern(ized) (i.e. updated) and have 3 or more bedrooms, 2 or more bathrooms, at least 1800sf, and preferably a 2car garage or room to build one. We wouldn't mind an old house (pre-1900) if it isn't a money pit. Would like to be able to walk to the Mom-and-Pop Greasy Spoon for a cheeseburger and some good coffee, sit in the park and enjoy the breeze, etc or get there with a reasonably short drive. We're friendly, but we're not mixers or joiners (but try to be very tolerant of those who are). More a live-and-let-live kind of attitude, y' know?

Am I asking too much? If any of you are from those towns I mentioned and could comment about the best/worst aspects of your area, it would be a great start.

We don't want to be in the next 'boom area' that'll get written up in Money Magazine! Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks to all,
Nims

(PS -- wanna buy a beautiful Florida house? or trade for one?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,341 times
If you don't want to be in the next 'boom area' area you might want to look at going a few miles north across the border in KY. Middle TN is already in full phase boom. Bowling Green is a good area to consider.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,455 times
Publix isn't in Kentucky though.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Default Where to start

My wife and I did the same search thing for 2 yrs. We made numerous trips throughout Tenn. Prior to that we visited WV, Va, Ky, NC... basically the Blue Ridge. We live in Fla... wifey is originally from Pa. and I'm from NM. We are not selling our home in Fla, were gonna do the 2 house thing.
We realized that after our first trips/ideas we were not focused enough. Although you sound like you are... let me add we thought we were too.

What really helped us after our first few "forays" , was the matrix we built. In simpler words.. a list of priorities. It was incredibly helpful in steering us to the right area. My wifey is in real estate... and when her "heart" became the filter for what we wanted... we were doomed. So... we took a step back, established our priorities, and began again. BINGO!

My point is... when you plug all your priorities into your personal formula you will get what you need. Then the "right" place will be found. Once your head is right (and it maybe already) , your heart can be free to say...
WOW... this is it!

We initially thought Middle Tn... and after our matrix, we were in East Tn. So you see... first thinking and final thinking maybe different, it was for us... however , It may not be for you.

Middle Tn is beautiful... and you will be happy anywhere you make a good educated, choice. Oh, let me add ... and even though my wifey is a RE/agent she totally relied on another agent to show us the right properties. A good agent is worth their weight in gold!

Good luck on your search!!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What really helped us after our first few "forays" , was the matrix we built. In simpler words.. a list of priorities.
I've something suggested that vary thing on this forum. If someone uses a "value-weighted" list of priorities on one side of the matrix, and a general list of places on the other legs, then rates each place for each of the priorities (at this point it doesn't have to be exact) and then calculates the grand total for each of the places, that will give them some idea of where to look further. Sometimes it will also help to clarify just what values are most important to someone.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,054 times
Hearing rumors that Publix is coming to Cookeville.We want to make sure it's true so you & your husband just come on up to Cookeville & bring Publix with you!

firepower

Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I've something suggested that vary thing on this forum. If someone uses a "value-weighted" list of priorities on one side of the matrix, and a general list of places on the other legs, then rates each place for each of the priorities (at this point it doesn't have to be exact) and then calculates the grand total for each of the places, that will give them some idea of where to look further. Sometimes it will also help to clarify just what values are most important to someone.
Alleycat, you're giving me flashbacks to my business school days and that Management Science class that I had to fight hard not to sleep through. And if that optimization matrix doesn't work, you can always try a decision tree. (I have to admit that I still use those, on occasion.)

One of the financial sites-- MSN, Money or Kiplinger, maybe-- has a computerized tool, where you rate the importance of multiple attributes on a 1-5 scale (with 1 being the least important and 5 the most). After you plug in all the values, it comes up with a list of target spots that best meet your stated needs. Change your values; change the outcome. You can sort by region, weather, key values, etc.. You can even sort by lifestyle factors, such as number of singles, number of retirees, inumber of museums, number of golf courses and so on. It's pretty neat, as a jumping-off point.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 13,511 times
Nims - I was born and raised around Pulaski, my brother until last month lived in Manchester. The nice thing about both areas is access without being over run with progress. Pulaski is about 1.5hrs from anything in Nashville and about 1hr from Huntsville, AL which is growing and expanding very rapidly (trust me it's where I work). Pulaski has Home Depot and Wal-Mart and local stores to meet any daily need you may have, although there is no Publix. Most of the people are friendly and if you want to know your neighbors just talk to them.

Manchester I know less about but seems similar. It's about an hour to Nashville or Chattanooga.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Arrow Good luck on your search!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My wife and I did the same search thing for 2 yrs. We made numerous trips throughout Tenn. Prior to that we visited WV, Va, Ky, NC... basically the Blue Ridge. We live in Fla... wifey is originally from Pa. and I'm from NM. We are not selling our home in Fla, were gonna do the 2 house thing.
We realized that after our first trips/ideas we were not focused enough. Although you sound like you are... let me add we thought we were too.

What really helped us after our first few "forays" , was the matrix we built. In simpler words.. a list of priorities. It was incredibly helpful in steering us to the right area. My wifey is in real estate... and when her "heart" became the filter for what we wanted... we were doomed. So... we took a step back, established our priorities, and began again. BING
O!
My point is... when you plug all your priorities into your personal formula you will get what you need. Then the "right" place will be found. Once your head is right (and it maybe already) , your heart can be free to say...
WOW... this is it!

We initially thought Middle Tn... and after our matrix, we were in East Tn. So you see... first thinking and final thinking maybe different, it was for us... however , It may not be for you.

Middle Tn is beautiful... and you will be happy anywhere you make a good educated, choice. Oh, let me add ... and even though my wifey is a RE/agent she totally relied on another agent to show us the right properties. A good agent is worth their weight in gold!

Good luck on your search!!
Bravo!......well said...........

Old 10-01-2007, 06:00 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
The matrix has you!

And when you're done plugging data into your matrix, we'll create a GANTT CHART for you to manage the project of moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee