Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,038,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Mine is on file BUT it is a hand drawn sketch and not even close to scale....

Another thought...you must have a "general" idea where the lines are now.... If this drainfield winds up needing to be replaced in a new location....would the pool be in the way for a new drain field....
We've never lived in the house and we only saw it once - the week after the closing, so why or how would I have an idea where the drain field is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
By the time NY Annie is done how much do you want to bet she settles on a hot tub by the house! ;^)
We DO plan on installing a hot tub but that is not until after the pool IS installed. We have 4 acres, it just may mean the pool will not be as near to the house as we want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,029,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
As MD has stated...The builder will more than likely not remember where the lines are. You will probably never even find the builder or who installed the septic system if there is no record on file....
Mine is on file BUT it is a hand drawn sketch and not even close to scale....

My suggestion was to .....
1. Pump out the tank....heaven knows when it was pumped out last - this will locate the tank and also it's condition.
2. He could also have a darn good idea where the lines are....

Lines could be found exactly with the right equipment, cameras, etc...but would be very costly....

Another thought...you must have a "general" idea where the lines are now.... If this drainfield winds up needing to be replaced in a new location....would the pool be in the way for a new drain field....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We've never lived in the house and we only saw it once - the week after the closing, so why or how would I have an idea where the drain field is?
I tried to be helpful and give some helpful "ideas" to the information provided to everyone...then you pick it apart and come back with an attitude...

Bless your heart....

Last edited by Bones; 02-06-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM

643 posts, read 2,377,019 times
NY Annie,

While it is important to know where the leach lines are so you can have your pool, I think you have to step back and get the big picture view of the situation. What you really need is someone to go to your yard and flag where the lines actually are. Even if you found a diagram with the leach lines, handing that to the pool builder and having him go in there with a backhoe is just asking for trouble. What happens when the pool builder digs up your septic system based on an incorrect diagram? Would you sue him or the person who made the diagram? The judge would likely throw the case out.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,330,333 times
Geesh Annie,
Leave the NY tude in NY. If in real life you treat your neighbors like this, you can pretty much figure you will have a isolated lonely existence. Maybe that is what you want, I do not know.

You asked a question, you were given sincere answers and suggestions. Just seems like you weren't told what you wanted to hear, and this is just the beginning to buying a house sight unseen.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,199,402 times
1. Finding the builder or even the person that installed the septic system will likely only get you something like, "its over in that area".
2. When a septic system is put in, there is a "reserve section" that has to be kept free in case the 1st drain field fails. So no pool there either.
3. Looking for the "green spot" can be a futile exercise, there isn't always a green spot.

Having a septic pumper come out will tell you exactly where the tank is, since they have to find it to pump it out. They will also be able to tell you the "general area" where the field is likely to be. If you have ever seen a septic field installed, you would know that the field trenches are not always nice straight lines equally spaced. I don't think anyone ever records exact measurements after they have dug the field lines. All they care about is getting 300' (or so) of drain field dug so it will work.

County Health Dept should have a sketch of the general area where the tank and field are, as well as the area set aside for replacement field lines. If the septic is in the back yard , put the pool in the front yard.

BY the way, when you bought the house, you were likely given a clear septic letter that would have shown the sketch of the septic system. Look thru your closing documents and you might find it.

Glad I could help.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,606,043 times
Annie has posted in the Nashville forum several times, and I have never known her to have a "tude."

I know she is frustrated in trying to find out some difficult info from a long distance, but I think these personal admonishments are unnecessary.

Y'all know you've seen MUCH worse than what she wrote.

I don't know why she can't get this stuff by telephone, but for McNairy County to not have freakin' e-mail addresses for the relevant departments on its website is ridiculous in 2012.

I mean, I guess she could do it the hard way and start e-mailing random people like the county solid waste director, etc. and ask them, but they'll just say, "We don't serve Bethel Springs. We don't cover septic tanks," etc etc.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 AM

643 posts, read 2,377,019 times
Annie mentioned she is hard of hearing and that written communication is easier. I did not think she had an attitude either. I do think she is frustrated, but I also think if she followed the advice from Bones she can get the pool she wants with the least amount of frustration and problems down the line.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Barking, thank you. That answers a whole lot of questions. I was willing to accept "over in that area" - because then we'll move the pool somewhere else. I also had no clue there is a reserve section. Dang it, us city folks just have no idea. We have 4 acres - I cannot imagine being unable to find a place free of septic/reserve - maybe that's a city attitude, I dunno.

I lived in one house with a septic and the septic guy had a small explosion and fire when he tried to cut off the top to install a pump outlet. No one told me to stop using bleach! and I asked when we moved in if there was anything I needed to know.

We did get a very clear: there is no sketch/plan of the septic system on file with the state, ergo my assumption that when the house was constructed, there should have been someone that actually installed the system and that company should have some kind of records - still. It hasn't been that many years.

I have to do everything by e-mail. First, I am technically deaf, but I do have speech recognition thanks to some very expensive hearing aids. However, recognizing words with any kind of accent is beyond difficult. I have hung up on friends who do not tone down their NY accent for me. I have even hung up on my dear sweet patient husband who gets caught up at work and talks too fast, like a NYer. I remember my days in college (TN) and there's no way I can try to have a conversation with anyone in TN at this time over the telephone so why frustrate THEM along with me. My frustration level right now is through the roof. I finally found someone who was willing to work with me via e-mail to take my husband's plans for the pool/deck and work with them, give me an estimate, deal with the elevation issues and stay away from the well. Only to find out the one thing we needed, we don't have and can't find out.

If I've come across snappy, I am sorry. Will I alienate new neighbors? Absolutely. I've lost friends along with my hearing. I don't ask for a lot in dealing with MY handicap and I don't shove it in people's faces. But try taking 2 weeks to get a simple question answered when you could do it in 20 minutes. I go through this daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
1. Finding the builder or even the person that installed the septic system will likely only get you something like, "its over in that area".
2. When a septic system is put in, there is a "reserve section" that has to be kept free in case the 1st drain field fails. So no pool there either.
3. Looking for the "green spot" can be a futile exercise, there isn't always a green spot.

Having a septic pumper come out will tell you exactly where the tank is, since they have to find it to pump it out. They will also be able to tell you the "general area" where the field is likely to be. If you have ever seen a septic field installed, you would know that the field trenches are not always nice straight lines equally spaced. I don't think anyone ever records exact measurements after they have dug the field lines. All they care about is getting 300' (or so) of drain field dug so it will work.

County Health Dept should have a sketch of the general area where the tank and field are, as well as the area set aside for replacement field lines. If the septic is in the back yard , put the pool in the front yard.

BY the way, when you bought the house, you were likely given a clear septic letter that would have shown the sketch of the septic system. Look thru your closing documents and you might find it.

Glad I could help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Annie has posted in the Nashville forum several times, and I have never known her to have a "tude."

I know she is frustrated in trying to find out some difficult info from a long distance, but I think these personal admonishments are unnecessary.

Y'all know you've seen MUCH worse than what she wrote.

I don't know why she can't get this stuff by telephone, but for McNairy County to not have freakin' e-mail addresses for the relevant departments on its website is ridiculous in 2012.

I mean, I guess she could do it the hard way and start e-mailing random people like the county solid waste director, etc. and ask them, but they'll just say, "We don't serve Bethel Springs. We don't cover septic tanks," etc etc.
I have been e-mailing random people, in B.S., county and state level. No replies at all. I'd say THAT is rude. Is that a TN attitude? ignore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
Annie mentioned she is hard of hearing and that written communication is easier. I did not think she had an attitude either. I do think she is frustrated, but I also think if she followed the advice from Bones she can get the pool she wants with the least amount of frustration and problems down the line.
Thank you both. And now that Barking has given me information, I will take Bones' advice and try to find a septic company with an e-mail address. Again, it has to be done via written word. It limits me - and yes, frustrates the bejeezus out of me.

BTW, if any of my NY friends found out I use "NY Annie", they would literally choke. I have a saying, "I may live in NYC, but I am not now nor will I ever be a New Yorker" and NYers tell me I have a New England attitude which is probably accurate since I lived there the longest - 30 years.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,935,892 times
Annie, didn't you have a property manager or handyman looking after the place? Someone local that could answer some of your questions or help point you in the right direction?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM

DubbleT, yes i have a property manager, had to switch mid-stream and I am not pleased with the new company. They do the basic job, found me a new tenant when the old one asked to get out of the 2nd year, inspect and arrange for minor repairs. Beyond that, they just are not responsive. It took weeks to arrange for the pool guy to go look at the OUTSIDE of the property. They only had to notify the tenant, not work out a schedule as he wasn't going to disturb them at all. But both he and I wanted to be fair to the tenant and not have someone roaming around the back of the house without letting them know ahead of time.

I'm just not trusting them enough so I will do my own research until I get what I need. I deal with frustration every day of every week; I will get through this and soon we'll both be retired and relaxing in our pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: