Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM

41 posts, read 101,518 times

Advertisements

What's the best area for "green" living in TN?

By that I mean:
Natural/holistic birth services (midwife/birth center/homebirth friendly/etc)
Holistic medicine (or at least not-pro-vaccine doctors for kids)
Farms or stores selling raw milk, fresh eggs, grassfed beef, or all of the above
Attachment/holistic/natural parenting groups are a plus
Not too concerned about school system ratings, since we plan to homeschool when our child is old enough (so homeschooling activities/groups would be another plus)

Prefer a small town with low crime, where we can get 1/4 to 1/2 acre of land (preferably not in a subdivision) within 30-45 minute drive of all or most of the services I listed above.

Job-wise we would want to be close (30 minutes drive) to a UPS center or hub, and a Cracker Barrel store (those are the 2 places my husband works right now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
LOL the Cracker Barrel thing threw me at first.

We like to keep the crunchy types in one area.

About The Farm - Home Page

The Farm

The Farm is total immersion.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM

249 posts, read 654,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravissima82 View Post
What's the best area for "green" living in TN?

By that I mean:
Natural/holistic birth services (midwife/birth center/homebirth friendly/etc)
Holistic medicine (or at least not-pro-vaccine doctors for kids)
Farms or stores selling raw milk, fresh eggs, grassfed beef, or all of the above
Attachment/holistic/natural parenting groups are a plus
Not too concerned about school system ratings, since we plan to homeschool when our child is old enough (so homeschooling activities/groups would be another plus)

Prefer a small town with low crime, where we can get 1/4 to 1/2 acre of land (preferably not in a subdivision) within 30-45 minute drive of all or most of the services I listed above.

Job-wise we would want to be close (30 minutes drive) to a UPS center or hub, and a Cracker Barrel store (those are the 2 places my husband works right now).
Please stay away from SE TN if you are anti-vaccine. I happen to like my herd immunity.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM

6,337 posts, read 11,500,302 times
You might check the Johnson city and Cookeville forums to see if they might be a fit. There is a large Mennonite community surrounding Cookeville that might mesh with your values.

I'm curious why you aren't gravitating towards Asheville or Boone NC?

Last edited by JMT; 03-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Corrected your spelling of Cookeville. :)

Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 AM

41 posts, read 101,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You might check the Johnson city and Cookeville forums to see if they might be a fit. There is a large Mennonite community surrounding Cookeville that might mesh with your values.

I'm curious why you aren't gravitating towards Asheville or Boone NC?
Thank you for your helpful reply. We picked TN to focus on right now because of the lack of state income tax & lack of car inspections (2 things that I despise LOL) - but really anywhere between PA and FL is a possibility. I will look into the Asheville area now that you mention it.

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
Emissions tests are required on vehicles in the biggest counties in Middles Tennessee and in the Memphis area.

Washington doesn't have a state income tax, and the Olympia area is known to be more WAY more crunchy than most of TN.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,829,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravissima82 View Post
Thank you for your helpful reply. We picked TN to focus on right now because of the lack of state income tax & lack of car inspections (2 things that I despise LOL) - but really anywhere between PA and FL is a possibility. I will look into the Asheville area now that you mention it.
You should definitely check out Berea, KY. It sounds exactly like what you are looking for and is still a small town unlike Asheville.

The town kind of has a split personality between hippies and rednecks. It's a very unique place.

There's also a Cracker Barrel there and its about 35-40 minutes from Lexington for UPS.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM

231 posts, read 592,545 times
Default Best place fopr green/crunchy/holistic family

Not real certain what a "crunchy" family is. It doesn't sound as though Tennessee would be your best pick of a new location though.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM

I thought of another one - look up Narrow ridge earth literacy center.

It is way in the midlle of nowhere but you will find kindred spirits.

Shalako - Crunchy people like crunchy granola and other hippie things.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Oops, I just remembered about the jobs. Sounds like Berea is probably the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee