Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 AM

130 posts, read 566,172 times

Advertisements

I'd go with Nextel because their coverage is very consistant and predicatable. No matter where you go you know you'll get marginal, if any, signal.

Oh, and their customer service is second only to AOL.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I don't live in TN yet, but I will let you know that I had nothing but BAD experiences with Cingular. I had my service with them for many years (before they were even Cingular) and the service kept getting worse and worse. I would have dropped calls repeatedly and the customer service was asbolutely terrible, both over the phone and at their stores where it took hours to get helped (I don't quite know why it took so long, they seemed adequately staffed, but it always took hourS whenever we had to go in there for anything). We used to live in WI and when we moved to Florida, the service just got worse, we couldn't even think about using our phones until we were about 45 min away from home! We had stuck with them for so long in WI because they really did have the cheapest plan at the time, but what good are 1000 min if you can't use them So we switched to Verizon and are really happy with them. The customer service has been great and we haven't had a dropped call yet (over a year)! We get really good coverage everywhere we have been (even a very remote location in N. Cali. where nobody else's phone got a signal.

That's just my two cents, and hopefully this info will save someone the frustration that we went through

Maybe it is location? Maybe you just had a bad experience? I too have been with Cingular for more than 10 years, back when they were Bellsouth. (That's what they were here, it had to be something else in your area). I've never had any trouble what so ever with my phones with them. We have a family plan with them now and none of us have trouble. I've only had maybe one or two dropped calls over all these years. I've used my phone from various locations in and out of the state and so far the only place I have had trouble is up here in the Mountains and middle of nowhere type spots where there are no towers.
I've rarely had to use customer service and the only time I had any trouble was when the phones we ordered last time were out of stock and we had to pick new ones.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I too have Cingular and have been with them since they were Bell South. I have not ever had any troubles with droped calls. I get coverage just about everywhere, well except IN my old house, but had a metal roof and was kinda in a valley, so that might have been it because if I walked in the yard, worked fine hahahaha. But I am in Tri-Cites now and use it everyday, all day and never have a problem. I can even call others on Cingular, no charge, (no minutes deducted) and have roll over. My bill is the same every month, cutomer service has always been good, but I don't call customer service very offten so not the best one to judge that from.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:05 PM

167 posts, read 944,588 times
Does anyone in E. TN use T-Mobile? I've had them for 3 years and they've caused me more grief than I care to remember, but we're under contract for another year and a half. I'm really hoping when we move South we'll be outside of their coverage area so we can get out of the contract! Sounds like Verizon is the way to go when we get there...

Old 09-09-2006, 09:41 PM

22 posts, read 70,938 times
My family just drove across country from Northern California to North Eastern Tennessee. We drove across on Hwy 40 and came back on I-80. We have Cingular and had no service loss anywhere on our trip.I called home several times and also called places along the way and had no long distance or roaming charges.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,099 times
Like some of the other folks here I've been with Cingular since they were Bell South.I live in Central Tennesse in the country and my phone keeps a full signal all time. (guess they raised the bar for me lol)I'm a retired truck driver and I've used my phone all over the country with no problems at all.I've had very good service with Cingular.Lot of people around my area have Verizon and they don't work very well.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Maybe your realtor had a phone from Cricket.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:40 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
Maybe it is location? Maybe you just had a bad experience? I too have been with Cingular for more than 10 years, back when they were Bellsouth. (That's what they were here, it had to be something else in your area). I've never had any trouble what so ever with my phones with them. We have a family plan with them now and none of us have trouble. I've only had maybe one or two dropped calls over all these years. I've used my phone from various locations in and out of the state and so far the only place I have had trouble is up here in the Mountains and middle of nowhere type spots where there are no towers.
I've rarely had to use customer service and the only time I had any trouble was when the phones we ordered last time were out of stock and we had to pick new ones.

Maybe, but we had the same problems in WI and FL, so either way, they did us no good

Also an update....we just got back from TN and we closed on the land we bought, we had our Verizon phones and had great service everywhere except for about a half hour stretch through GA.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 AM

130 posts, read 475,106 times
Go Verizon All The Way!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,169 times
Default Cellular Phones

I hope no one signs up for Verizon, I have been a customer of theirs for 5 years, and now they have ripped me off. I upgraded to a new razor phone and of course had to sign up for 2 more years service. Well the phone just quit working, I have never dropped it or left it outside. Verizon ( I have not even had the phone a month) says it has moisture in it and will not replace it. I say yeah right and just how did moisture get in it since I have never had it anywhere other than in my purse pocket or against my ear. Sounds like a Verizon scam to me. They make cheap phones and then come up with some reason to not warranty them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee