U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 PM

48 posts, read 273,529 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to change cell phone providers (currently have Sprint) and would like to know which company provides the best service/coverage in TN. I'd like coverage in town and if I go to the country or fishing or camping. Sprint never works in remote areas and I'm simply no longer satisfied with their service. I'm considering Verizon or Cingular. Which providers, in your opinion, from your experience do you feel offer the best service? I want to make certain I go with a company who'll give good service before and after I relocate. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 PM

11 posts, read 59,302 times
Verizon seems to be the largest provider here, that is what I have and the service seems decent.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 AM

Smile Thanks Jillian!

Both Verizon and Cingular appear to have a decent coverage area in TN according to the maps, but it's better to get first-hand info. I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:37 AM

Thanks TNgirl! I never heard of US Cellular, but I'll check them out as well as the link you provided. I appreciate the info very much.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 PM

359 posts, read 1,570,237 times
I'm real pleased with Verizon.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 PM

408 posts, read 1,904,765 times
I think Cingular works well. I guess it depends on where you are going in TN also. There are a couple of spots up here in Northeast that it appears no phones work because there are no towers. Cingular also has a big call center in Johnson City so you would think they would try to work cover more here.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 PM

211 posts, read 265,098 times
Sprint offers free roaming so it's often not a problem. Off of the main roads, cities, towns, etc service is poor; but then again it is for Cingular too. Verizon seems to be the best choice, though they are expensive.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 PM

408 posts, read 1,904,765 times
Cingular has no roaming charges too. My phone number is actually a Nashville # and I am in the Tri-cities area. I'd hate to see the phone bill otherwise.
I've never had blackout spots with my phone until I came up here. I could pick up a signal (unless the phone system was down) from anywhere around Nashville or Knoxville and the surrounding areas. Up here in Northeast TN, the main spots I loose is through the Mountain/Cherokee Forest area and a particular out in the middle of no where type road. That road is supposed to be getting a tower soon though.
When I was with the realtor a few months ago, he couldn't pick up diddly with his phone. I forget what he had. None of the ones listed in the post ring a bell as to being the one he had.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 AM

359 posts, read 1,570,237 times
No roaming charges with Verizon, either.

Think about using your cell as your only phone, then 59.99 a month doesn't sound too bad. I've been doing it that way for years.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 AM

389 posts, read 3,467,674 times
I don't live in TN yet, but I will let you know that I had nothing but BAD experiences with Cingular. I had my service with them for many years (before they were even Cingular) and the service kept getting worse and worse. I would have dropped calls repeatedly and the customer service was asbolutely terrible, both over the phone and at their stores where it took hours to get helped (I don't quite know why it took so long, they seemed adequately staffed, but it always took hourS whenever we had to go in there for anything). We used to live in WI and when we moved to Florida, the service just got worse, we couldn't even think about using our phones until we were about 45 min away from home! We had stuck with them for so long in WI because they really did have the cheapest plan at the time, but what good are 1000 min if you can't use them So we switched to Verizon and are really happy with them. The customer service has been great and we haven't had a dropped call yet (over a year)! We get really good coverage everywhere we have been (even a very remote location in N. Cali. where nobody else's phone got a signal.

That's just my two cents, and hopefully this info will save someone the frustration that we went through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee