Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
SNT SNT started this thread

27 posts, read 90,657 times

Advertisements

Hello Friendly People.

Are mosquitoes in Tennessee a real problem? By real problem, I mean are there parts of Tennessee that have so many in the spring/summer that it's best not to go out after dusk?

Does it get unbearably hot and humid. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts of eastern Tennessee. And does humidity get worse right alongside the Tennessee River and the two lakes?

And which parts/metro areas are the most and least religious?

Just curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,261,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT View Post
Hello Friendly People.

Are mosquitoes in Tennessee a real problem? By real problem, I mean are there parts of Tennessee that have so many in the spring/summer that it's best not to go out after dusk?

Does it get unbearably hot and humid. I'm particularly interested in your thoughts of eastern Tennessee. And does humidity get worse right alongside the Tennessee River and the two lakes?

And which parts/metro areas are the most and least religious?

Just curious. Thanks.
Yes, there are mosquitoes...but I wouldn't say they make it a bad idea to go outside late. They don't come in swarms like I've seen them out west.

Unbearably hot and humid really depends on your definition of such. It does get very hot and humid...but nothing like the Gulf Coast...and I think generally East Tennessee tends to be less so than the areas to the West. Still, coming from a northern or non-humid climate, it would probably seem very hot/humid.

Oh, and there are many more than two lakes...especially in East Tennessee. Nickajack, Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Loudoun, Melton Hill, Norris, Cherokee, Douglas, Watauga, South Holston...

Tennessee in general is pretty conservative and religious...and I would say that even in the cities, where there tends to be a more liberal center, most areas will still be "mostly" religious. You would probably want to stick closer to the city center in both Knoxville and Chattanooga if that's what you are looking for.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Great information. Thanks a ton.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:05 AM

Regarding the humidity and general climate variation in Chattanooga: If you happen to know, how would you compare it to Chicago?

The winters in Chicago are considerably more pleasant these last few years than they were 20 years ago. Is that the same for Chattanooga?

And how long does it take to get from the center of Chattanooga to the airport?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,508,186 times
I will give a nice opinion, and I am relocating.

East Tennessee summers are great. No humidity really compared to more southern states (I have lived in Florida). Mosquitoes are not an issue unless you have stagnant water issues, like in the backyard.

Winters are mild, maybe a little colder than seven years ago but nothing at all like up north, or Chicago where you are from. If there is snow it usually melts by the next day unless you are in the mountains.
Basically the weather is very good here, and some summers you may not even need your central AC running, if you have a big shady backyard.

I am in Johnson City which has a population a little over 60k people. It's a university town and religion isn't an issue unless you want it to be. It may be different in more rural areas. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM

263 posts, read 610,779 times
Re humidity and religion in TN...

A co-worker who moved to West TN from (somewhere else) a few years ago told me mid-August that living here was like living in hell.

No, dear, I told her. It's humid here. It's different in hell -- it's a dry heat.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,199,663 times
It takes about 20 minutes to get from downtown to the airport, unless it's rush hour. Things tend to get backed up going over Missionary Ridge on I-24, so I've found that the surface streets through one of the tunnels is usually much faster between 4-6PM. This is base driving time, of course, so add extra for parking (even long-term parking is only the equivalent of a couple of blocks from the terminal), traffic issues, etc.

Unless you're flying directly to hub, one problem with CHA is that you can't get there from here. Very few direct flights, so you HAVE to have a minimum of 2 legs. Here to a hub, then the hub to your destination. Other airport options include taking a shuttle to one of the three surrounding cities with larger airports. Groome Transportation will take you to Atlanta (ATL), Knoxville (TYS), or Nashville (BNA). I used to regularly take the red-eye from LAX to ATL on Friday nights. I could get home about 30 minutes faster by taking the bus from ATL to Chattanooga instead of taking the little 3-row jet.

Humidity can get bad, but NOTHING like Memphis or farther south (I grew up in Mississippi). I lived in Kansas City for a while and it compares reasonably well. It can get unbearably hot and humid for up to several weeks in a row, but then it cools off again; same as KC. Completely different from Mississippi where it hits the 90s in May and stays there until September, with quite a few 100s thrown in.

Same for mosquitoes. They exist, but (IMO) really aren't that bad unless you live near lots of shallow stagnant water (swampy area).

I'm going to stay out of the religion issues.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Sadly, ATL is not a hub for United. Additionally, my main office is in New York and my family is in Chicago. But that's good to know for the times that I do fly into Atlanta.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,403 times
Western Tennessee has it rough when it comes to humidity. Mosquitoes depend on where you are. Near Reelfoot Lake they are pretty bad.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 AM

286 posts, read 697,372 times
Mosquitoes aren't bad. Different story for humidity and religion.

Once you venture outside of Davidson County, it's like a sweatier version of Footloose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee