Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:10 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw953 View Post
Hi. We really enjoyed your insight on the cities in TN. We've always heard how beautiful the state is. We are from southern NJ and would like to escape to somewhere cheaper to live...yet not sacrifice great schools or beautiful beaches and culture.

Our property taxes are reaching close to $7000/yr for our 2100 sq.ft. 1 acre home. We are guessing Knoxville and Franklin may be our best bets for a nice relocation.

We really could go anywhere within 30 mins. of a Home Depot, where we both are employed. What are the homes selling for in these areas? We do prefer larger lots and more privacy, yet not so isloated from the world. My husband loves to fish...so being close to a lake would be nice. Any suggestions for us?

We were also considering S.Carolina, Georgia and Texas...but just not sure where the best places are for the money..great schools etc.

Your advice is much appreciated.
It might be better if the moderator breaks this thread into two posts so that you questions get more consideration.

From what you mentioned, I would put Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet on the list of places to investigate further. Also, Cookeville and some of the larger small towns in Middle or East Tennessee (the ones within a short drive to one of the lakes). There's a Home Depot in most of the larger towns in Tennessee, I believe.

There's a lot of great lake fishing in Tennessee at both the large lakes and the smaller lakes in the state parks (I like little Brown's Creek Lake myself for my kind of fishing).

Last edited by alleycat; 09-15-2007 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,824 times
Can you do a positive and negative for Morristown TN ?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:12 PM

38 posts, read 190,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've lived in Belgium, France, the Philippines, and China. I've visited over 30 other counties. Of the people I talked to in those places, I can assure you that more of them had heard of Nashville than Atlanta. The Olympics did increase Atlanta's stature, but Nashville had the head start thanks to its role in American music. Believe it or not, even many French singers have homes in Nashville. Johnny Hallyday has a song called "Quelque chose du Tennessee", and I have a magazine article where Eddie Mitchell said that Nashville is his favorite city in the world.

Likewise, Memphis was more well-known than Atlanta, thanks largely to Elvis.

I hardly met anyone who had ever heard of Charlotte. Since part of my area of expertise is cultural geography, believe me I was curious to find out what American cities are famous in other countries.
Wow, that is very cool to know about Nashville. I had never even seen Charlotte until 2003. No news coverage or even pics, all I knew was that it was somewhere in North Carolina and had major sports teams. What else have you found out about TN cities on your adventures?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 PM

38 posts, read 190,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No, I didn't choose anything from your list. I just happen to live in Nashville.

I was just saying that what qualifies to make one city "outshine" another is in the eye of the beholder. For example, while Charlotte seems to be a city I would enjoy, personally, I don't want the "development pattens . . . growth . . . " that has taken place in Atlanta (and I've lived in Atlanta for a few months). For you, however, the factors that a bigger city offers are probably more important (shopping, nightlife, impressive skyline). For example, someone else might choose to have a Trader Joe's and Neiman-Marcus . . . for me, I'd rather have a new park or a new walking trail. So when you say one city "outshines" another, it needs to be at least implied that it based on a personal list of criteria. That's all I was saying. Again, I'm not arguing with your personal choices.

I'm glad places are different. I would hate for everyplace to become like Nashville just as much as I would hate for everyplace to become New York City. Some people live in small towns and can't wait to move to the "big city"; some people live in big cities and can't wait to move to a small town. Both are right.
Lol, this is totally my personal list of criteria. Your opinion is just as subjective as mine because we both live in TN (me, all of my life). We can agree to disagree, but I'm still confused. If you didn't chose Nashville as the city in TN that suits you, which city does suit you?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:34 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorector View Post
Lol, this is totally my personal list of criteria. Your opinion is just as subjective as mine because we both live in TN (me, all of my life). We can agree to disagree, but I'm still confused. If you didn't chose Nashville as the city in TN that suits you, which city does suit you?
I never said it wasn't. In fact, I made a point of saying it was my personal opinion.

But . . . have it your way.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 AM

Location: I currently live on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau in Crossville
3 posts, read 6,963 times
Default TN is a GREAT place to live !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw953 View Post
Hi. We really enjoyed your insight on the cities in TN. We've always heard how beautiful the state is. We are from southern NJ and would like to escape to somewhere cheaper to live...yet not sacrifice great schools or beautiful beaches and culture.

Our property taxes are reaching close to $7000/yr for our 2100 sq.ft. 1 acre home. We are guessing Knoxville and Franklin may be our best bets for a nice relocation.

We really could go anywhere within 30 mins. of a Home Depot, where we both are employed. What are the homes selling for in these areas? We do prefer larger lots and more privacy, yet not so isloated from the world. My husband loves to fish...so being close to a lake would be nice. Any suggestions for us?

We were also considering S.Carolina, Georgia and Texas...but just not sure where the best places are for the money..great schools etc.

Your advice is much appreciated.
Hi ! I moved to Crossville TN about 3 years ago from Florida with my husband and 3 children. Crossville is located about 40 minutes from Knoxville and about an hour from Nashville ! ALl of TN is beautiful and wouldn't move from here if you paid me. The schools are very good, which was something I long researched before coming here. Knoxville has much opportunity for employment and there are other towns with Home Depot's as well. As for housing, I am a full time Realtor and the cost of homes here vs say NJ, NY etc are much cheaper. For example, I have a 3/2 on an acre, my taxes are only $258 per year and my insurance is only a little under $500 per year vs $10,000 a year in Florida. Moderator cut: realtor advertising
You will love TN ! No doubt !

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-16-2007 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-16-2007, 07:44 AM

117 posts, read 447,417 times
Why is having the music industry based on Country Music a negative?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrm777 View Post
I was wondering the same thing about the blue collar workers myself. I find this insulting.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,279 times
Default Consider Hendersonville TN

I would consider Hendersonville TN it is located on the lake and a Home Depot is in the city. Check out the older neighborhoods near the lake. Our house is about 2700 sq ft and our taxes are around 1,600 and we have a wooded 1/2 lot.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:57 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrm777 View Post
For the very simple reason that there is other music out there besides Country. Not everyone is impressed with country music.
A negative that was forgotten for Chatanooga-
What is that smell there?
I've never been to Memphis or Nashville but I have lived in Knoxville and love it.
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee