Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:27 PM

219 posts, read 811,257 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I have been getting lots of good posts on TN in general. Especially Cookeville, Greenville and the Tri-City area.

Let's get to any negatives now. Anyone that moved to TN that wished they had not? List the pros and the cons please.

Also, anyone that has lived or lives in the areas I mentioned above and does not like them? Pros and cons again please.

Last edited by johnbain; 02-17-2008 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Here's a relevant thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ving-east.html

Hope it helps!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 PM

219 posts, read 811,257 times
aw come one people..post would ya

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
aw come one people..post would ya
They must all love it!

(Just kidding.)

I could post some negatives about Nashville, but I just don't know the areas you mentioned well enough to post any negative about living there.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
I have nothing negative to say about East Tn. in general. I have been here a year and a half and love it here. I cannot comment on the areas you mentioned as I have never lived there.
Pam

Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,970 times
My only complaint is that I wish the utility wiring were underground and not overhead via poles.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Dont actually live in Cookeville, but spend most of my time there, working, shopping. Its a nice town, not too big not too small. Speciality shoping is not all that, but Im not a big shopper. Traffic on friday is awful. No liquor store, have to drive to Jackson Co. Thats about it for negative.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Hi everyone. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I have been getting lots of good posts on TN in general. Especially Cookeville, Greenville and the Tri-City area.

Let's get to any negatives now. Anyone that moved to TN that wished they had not? List the pros and the cons please.

Also, anyone that has lived or lives in the areas I mentioned above and does not like them? Pros and cons again please.
I like Tennessee very much. The only thing I don't like is the drug-related crime by the users. But, was I living in a bubble before?

You will read about more theft here (car, home, stores, business) than you may be used to where you live now. Is there more theft or did the newspapers where you used to live just not report shoplifting/car break-ins? In fact, car break ins - did the police even bother to come out to your house?

The other thing I read about more here is uninsured drivers and (not necessarily related) people who drive while impaired. Since car insurance rates are comparatively low, that may indicate Tennessee newspapers just do a better job of reporting such police incidents. I know the newspaper in my former state never reported DUIs and DWIs unless a fatality was involved. Here they put the person's name and address in the newspaper (and sometimes a photo) when no accident is involved. I like that but it may give a false indication that there is more of it here just because the newspapers do a better job of reporting on it.

If someone gets caught shoplifting a set of wrenches in your current town, does the newspaper report it? Here the theif's name and address and a description of what he stole and the name of the store he stole it from, goes in the newspaper.

If there is more theft and impaired drivers in Tennessee, why is my car and renters insurance with the same insurance company (same car), lower than where I used to live? Just some food for thought.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM

851 posts, read 2,458,771 times
Default Nothing else to report

I think the reason the theft seems like alot. The newspaper just doesn't have hardly anything else to report on, like in other states. Where I live the shootings and the murders are front page so you don't notice the theft as much.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
The reasons I didnt like TN (Clarksville) were as follows:

1. The summer heat
2. The crime
3. The lack of fine dining
4. The lack of good-paying jobs
5. The lack of good shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee