Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,793 times

Advertisements

TN regularly watches for out of state furniture purchases. NC is usually where they come up with people trying to skirt the tax.

If you've ever looked at NC's income tax forms, they charge you an extra 0.1% income tax because they assume you purchased things out of state. The alternative is to submit all your receipts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 AM

178 posts, read 444,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

It says this in the Amazon letter: "The total sales price of purchases you had shipped to Tennessee in 2011 was $XXXX." Am I to think if you purchased items to be sent to someone in another state, by Amazon, it's not taxed? If that's true and you are buying gifts for people in another state, don't have Amazon ship them to you, have them shipped directly to the intended recipient.
That is correct. You only have to pay Sales Tax on items that were initially taken possession of in TN. I have an online store. I am in TN, so if I sell to TN residents, I collect sales tax based on the delivery to a TN address. Example: My next door neighbor can buy something from me, but if she pays me to have it shipped directly to her sister in Iowa without taking possession of it in this state, then she does not have to pay sales tax. If she buys it and ships it herself, then she has to pay the sales tax because she took possession of it. (I think there are loopholes for that, such as taking it out of state herself in x amount of time, but can't remember how that goes.)

Something I'd like to add to others reading this thread for the first time- this is not new. It's always been everybody's 'responsibility' to go to the Dept of Revenue in their own state and pay taxes on anything bought from another state. It's just not been traceable, hardly anybody knows about it, and it's not actively enforced.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:33 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
The only change from the recent law (to go into effect in 2014 as mentioned earlier) is that Amazon will start collecting tax at the point of purchase. You ALWAYS owed the "use tax", equal in amount to the sales tax, whenever you bought something out of state and brought it in state. You could get an exemption for any sales tax you paid in the other state, though. So if you live in Chattanooga and buy several rolls of carpet in GA and pay 6% GA sales tax, you owe 9.25%-6% = 2.25% when you get home.

If you order from Amazon in 2014 they will automatically add TN state sales tax. If you try to cheat and and have the item shipped to your friend just over the line in GA, you still legally owe the tax when he brings it over the state line and gives it to you. It's all a matter of enforcement.

Some people avoid taxes by hiding money in the Caymans, some people do it by other means. It's all illegal and the honest folks have to pay for your theft.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 AM

455 posts, read 638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Some people avoid taxes by hiding money in the Caymans, some people do it by other means. It's all illegal and the honest folks have to pay for your theft.
What's illegal about having money/property in another country?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
What's illegal about having money/property in another country?
Nothing is "illegal about having money/property in another country". It's when you legally owe taxes on income or some other source of money and hide this fact by hiding the money in a place where the IRS can't look. Some people hide money oversees so the IRS can't see it.... other people buy stuff online to hide from state tax agencies to avoid paying sales tax... other people hide store merchandise in their underwear so the store clerk can't see it.

Same thing, different scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee