Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:46 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
this is a beautiful weekend, I hope we'll all get out of the house and take in some of the neat things Tennessee has to offer! (I, for one, plan on hitting the Greekfest here in Knoxville. I can eat my weight in baklava...)
Aw, for a minute there I thought it was a Geekfest and I got excited.

My area trees are still very green. It's like watching a pot waiting for water to boil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:49 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Great. Now I'm wishing we could have some wet, cold weather...
Hahhahahaha!!! Here's a pic of my cat. The one that has no front claws and cries to go outside She is gonna have to gargle before we snuggle! (actually she is a snuggle kitty and gets on my chest and lap everynight).

and awaiting a "Snack" to appear:

Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
Call me crazy, but I never eat ocean fish caught off the shores of Tennessee.
Nobody told you about the underground ocean in er, Waterville?

Since I don't eat seafood I haven't actually noticed if there are any seafood restaurants (not counting Red Lobster chain) around but would be curious if there are. Would you pay more for a seafood dinner (lobster, clams, mussels, crabs, ocean fish) in a Tennessee restaurant compared to Florida, NY or Maryland? This is the first time I have not lived on the coast.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:09 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Nobody told you about the underground ocean in er, Waterville?

Since I don't eat seafood I haven't actually noticed if there are any seafood restaurants (not counting Red Lobster chain) around but would be curious if there are. Would you pay more for a seafood dinner (lobster, clams, mussels, crabs, ocean fish) in a Tennessee restaurant compared to Florida, NY or Maryland? This is the first time I have not lived on the coast.
That's an interesting question. I'm not sure . . . but I always assume so (except maybe for "New York prices"). There's more transportation and storage costs involved.

Funny, when I was a small kid in Clarksville there was one place in town then that had a lobster tank. To us they looked like giant crawfish (well, they still do) . . . we couldn't imagine eating one of the things. Later I learned that people in Louisiana actually ate crawfish. Catching crawfish in the creek used to be part of every kid's summer fun.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Uh, can I come to your feeder?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Funny, when I was a small kid in Clarksville there was one place in town then that had a lobster tank. To us they looked like giant crawfish (well, they still do) . . . we couldn't imagine eating one of the things. Later I learned that people in Louisiana actually ate crawfish. Catching crawfish in the creek used to be part of every kid's summer fun.
I know. When I hear that people eat crawfish, I say, "Crawfish? That's bait!"

Old 09-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Great. Now I'm wishing we could have some wet, cold weather...
Glad I could help. ;-)

I'm going to make some homemade chili today whether it's hot or not!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 AM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,138 times
Smile Can I join in your fun group???

Hi Everyone!! Can I join in with your fun group??

My husband and I had originally planned to retire to Oak Ridge in March of this year, but things happened and we delayed retirement - now our goal is set for relocating in April of next year......just six more months!!

Even though my husband grew up in Oak Ridge and we have been there many times, I have spent hours and hours researching the area and reading these forums. I am soooo excited and thank you all for all of the wonderful info that you have shared - particularly LauraC!!

We were living on the Outer Banks of NC up until March of this year and are now living in the Florida Keys........all I can say is that it is a nice place to visit, but you definitely don't want to live here!! By the way, it is 90 degrees and sunny as usual.....it's what they refer to down here as a "Chamber of Commerce' day!

We are flying out of Key West in 11 days - headed to Oak Ridge for a week of neighborhood hunting and just deciding exactly where we want to settle down for retirement. We also plan to attend the Tennessee Fall Homecoming in Norris.....my husband hasn't attended in about 25 years so he is really looking forward to it.

Though I am looking forward to wearing shorts and sandals down here in December and January, I am sure that I will be ready for real 'seasons' after just one year of living here.

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE East Tennessee and can hardly wait to call it 'HOME'!

I look forward to chatting with you in the days and weeks to come as we prepare for our actual move to 'heaven on earth'.

Beachbette

Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbette View Post
Hi Everyone!! Can I join in with your fun group??

My husband and I had originally planned to retire to Oak Ridge in March of this year, but things happened and we delayed retirement - now our goal is set for relocating in April of next year......just six more months!!

Even though my husband grew up in Oak Ridge and we have been there many times, I have spent hours and hours researching the area and reading these forums. I am soooo excited and thank you all for all of the wonderful info that you have shared - particularly LauraC!!

We were living on the Outer Banks of NC up until March of this year and are now living in the Florida Keys........all I can say is that it is a nice place to visit, but you definitely don't want to live here!! By the way, it is 90 degrees and sunny as usual.....it's what they refer to down here as a "Chamber of Commerce' day!

We are flying out of Key West in 11 days - headed to Oak Ridge for a week of neighborhood hunting and just deciding exactly where we want to settle down for retirement. We also plan to attend the Tennessee Fall Homecoming in Norris.....my husband hasn't attended in about 25 years so he is really looking forward to it.

Though I am looking forward to wearing shorts and sandals down here in December and January, I am sure that I will be ready for real 'seasons' after just one year of living here.

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE East Tennessee and can hardly wait to call it 'HOME'!

I look forward to chatting with you in the days and weeks to come as we prepare for our actual move to 'heaven on earth'.

Beachbette
So far, you can still wear shorts and sandals here. Right now it's 78 outside.

I'm going to PM you.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Welcome Beachbette:

LauraC, I'm a big seafood lover. I am finding some fish (cod) and chips here. No, it is not more expensive. In fact, we have a saying in New England that the closer you get to the shore, the more expensive it gets. It's the tourism factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee