Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You have to inform outsiders about the pronunciation, though. It's not Mary-ville, as it might seem...but Murrrvul.

(Truth be told it's probably closer to Mare-uh-vul)

Also, I agree with your frustrations with crime reporting statistics. It's hard to make apples to apples comparisons when you have varying definitions.

But Fulmer does live there. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:23 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
But speaking of crime. How is it in East Nashville. I know, it's got a worse rep but whatever. What do you think?
Spotty.

Some areas are still dangerous (there are still projects in the area, after all), but the number of safe areas seems to be increasing (along with gentrification). Property crime is more of a widespread issue than violent crime. None of the people I personally know living in East Nashville have not had any experience with violent crime.

North Nashville still takes the cake as far as bad reputation...but it will be interesting to see if that perception changes with the emergence of Germantown, Salemtown, and Hope Gardens as desirable urban neighborhoods.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Spotty.

Some areas are still dangerous (there are still projects in the area, after all), but the number of safe areas seems to be increasing (along with gentrification). Property crime is more of a widespread issue than violent crime. None of the people I personally know living in East Nashville have not had any experience with violent crime.

North Nashville still takes the cake as far as bad reputation...but it will be interesting to see if that perception changes with the emergence of Germantown, Salemtown, and Hope Gardens as desirable urban neighborhoods.

Yea I know Todd Snider lives in East Nashville and he likes it. I have heard a lot about Germantown in Nashville it seems. Btw, talking about Sue the other day, about to go and get some.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I thought I'd add the list of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. Memphis has two on the list and Chattanooga has one. None for NYC.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

I just realized that is from 2010. So this is the latest on their website. Memphis is 19 and Nashville 56. Chattanooga and Knoxville are not on the list.

Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout

Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Well this article came out last week. Based on FBI stats, Memphis is the fifth most dangerous city in the country.

An analysis of FBI crime statistics by 24/7 Wall Street reveals that in many of the most dangerous cities in America, such as St. Louis and Memphis, violent crime actually went up. That goes against a national trend of lower crime rates compared to 2010.

Wonderful.

Most Dangerous Cities In America Based On Analysis Of FBI Statisitcs

And New York City is not on the list. Of course NYC has a very low crime rate.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM

41 posts, read 90,875 times
Quote:
Well this article came out last week. Based on FBI stats, Memphis is the fifth most dangerous city in the country.

An analysis of FBI crime statistics by 24/7 Wall Street reveals that in many of the most dangerous cities in America, such as St. Louis and Memphis, violent crime actually went up. That goes against a national trend of lower crime rates compared to 2010.

Wonderful.

I can't believe that Memphis has more crime than NYC, since NYC has 9 million residents and Memphis only less than 700,000. To be honest, that kind of frightens me.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Gal_88 View Post
I can't believe that Memphis has more crime than NYC, since NYC has 9 million residents and Memphis only less than 700,000. To be honest, that kind of frightens me.
Higher crime rate, not more total crime.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
My advice is to stay as far away from memphis as possible.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Wonderful.

Again, we can argue and argue this. Is Memphis is rough? Hell yea. But is it as bad as these stats? No. Remember correctly actually live here. The Fort in Knoxville is much worse as I remember. And yes I did live there. Of course NYC isn't on the list they don't report crimes as they should. I live two miles from Beale on a corner lot, my kids played outside all day. Yes, that is wonderful. Thanks for updated stats btw.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Higher crime rate, not more total crime.
Lol. Thanks. The Sue was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee