Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

You know, knucklehead, I was going to let it go but your example of an endorsement of Memphis wasn't exactly ringing. What I originally said, that Memphis has a ways to go but is on its way, is pretty much what this guy said. The place has potential but it is not there yet. I have high hopes for it, though. When I first moved to Knoxville seven years ago there was not much going on. A few years later it had promise but not much more. However, in the past few years the restoration and growth of the downtown core has been staggering. Any city that is run well - and the mayor during that time is now our governor - can turn things around. Look at Chattanooga as well. It was declared the dirtiest city in America in 1969 by Walter Cronkite. Now it has a beautiful riverfront and newcomers and young folks can't believe that once was so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post

As I walked, the thought that came to my mind was “wow, this is just begging for renovation and (mixed-use) development”. What's been done with Omaha's riverfront comes to mind. It's kind of astonishing that in a city this big, with what appears to be a functioning economy, that this has not happened by now. In my mind's eye I see condos in those tall, closed-up old buildings. I see indie bookstores on the corner (ala Seattle's Elliot Bay, Spokane's Aunties, Denver's Tattered Cover), I see independent coffee shops sprinkled amongst the boutiques. Why not? [/i]

It seems to me that Memphis has enormous potential. I'm curious to know what you think is missing that would prevent the transformation of the city proper into a poster-child for urban renewal. Is the nature of the economy a hindrance? Are there too few good colleges/universities turning out educated people who want to stay? Is there some other “attitude problem” that I'm missing?
Quote:
We are not country but southern. We are black and white, and despite the perceptions, we got each others back. And this is my perception of why most of Tennessee hates us. We are completely different. I like ideas about the scapegoat, but it's deeper than that, unfortunately. But thanks for the discussion, I enjoy a good one without weak attempts at belittling this city.
Pot meet kettle. Nothing like trying to tear down the rest of the state. Knoxville is very southern and we definitely have each others backs. Memphis is the laughing stock of the state because we get sick of reading the stats about crime and horrible schools and the rest of the country thinking all of the state is that way. There, I said it. That's the truth. Memphis does drag down the rest of the state. Do you know how many times I have to write on this forum, alone, about how Knoxville is closer to other parts of the country as opposed to Memphis just to try and distance ourselves. And schools...don't even get me started. The rest of the country thinks we are like Memphis and that is a darn shame. So you lick your wounds and tell yourself that you got BBQ and grit and can escape to New Orleans (really?) and Chicago when need be. Thou dost protest too much but that's only this one woman's opinion. Carry on. You got to do what you got to do to live there and try to stay happy, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You know, knucklehead, I was going to let it go but your example of an endorsement of Memphis wasn't exactly ringing. What I originally said, that Memphis has a ways to go but is on its way, is pretty much what this guy said. The place has potential but it is not there yet. I have high hopes for it, though. When I first moved to Knoxville seven years ago there was not much going on. A few years later it had promise but not much more. However, in the past few years the restoration and growth of the downtown core has been staggering. Any city that is run well - and the mayor during that time is now our governor - can turn things around. Look at Chattanooga as well. It was declared the dirtiest city in America in 1969 by Walter Cronkite. Now it has a beautiful riverfront and newcomers and young folks can't believe that once was so.

Pot meet kettle. Nothing like trying to tear down the rest of the state. Knoxville is very southern and we definitely have each others backs. Memphis is the laughing stock of the state because we get sick of reading the stats about crime and horrible schools and the rest of the country thinking all of the state is that way. There, I said it. That's the truth. Memphis does drag down the rest of the state. Do you know how many times I have to write on this forum, alone, about how Knoxville is closer to other parts of the country as opposed to Memphis just to try and distance ourselves. And schools...don't even get me started. The rest of the country thinks we are like Memphis and that is a darn shame. So you lick your wounds and tell yourself that you got BBQ and grit and can escape to New Orleans (really?) and Chicago when need be. Thou dost protest too much but that's only this one woman's opinion. Carry on. You got to do what you got to do to live there and try to stay happy, I guess.
What are you talking about. Trust me, your one of the posters I do not read, unless I am quoted by you. Go on and try to belittle, it doesn't work. Also, some comprehension on your part would be great.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Jesus..But thank you. Maybe if you realized what the rest of the country thought about Knoxville, you would realize it is not what you are describing. You know, the sister/mama thing? I hear deliverance in the background. trust me I never have to escape, but it's people like you who spread crap, rumors, and no telling what else. And trust me I am happy. I do not need to try and belittle other posters such as you do. Maybe one day you can have a ying to your yang again.

All your posts ever state is how bad Memphis and Chattanooga are.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:

And the reading and comprehension part, the first quote you used was a quote from another poster, so get it straight.
Attached Thumbnails
I am planning on moving to Tennessee, which would be a good county/town for me-memphis.png  

Last edited by JMT; 06-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Let's not make it personal.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Question: do any employees that work at the HQ for Autozone, International Paper, or FedEx live outside of Memphis?

Possibly, but they drive into Memphis to work.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
This thread has gotten way off track. Let's get back on topic, please.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
This thread has gotten way off track. Let's get back on topic, please.
Okay, but a lot of insults were thrown around I want to at least defend myself. I know that the quotes were from another poster and said so. They were knucklehead_vol's rave review from someone else that HE quoted. Further - and this is important because it goes back to where people are coming from and affects the OP's evaluation of these opinions: knucklehead_vol has looked into moving to Knoxville and Chattanooga for the past two years and as recently as last year. If Memphis were all that and East Tennessee is so horrible, why is he looking at those two cities? It seems his kids are going to be starting school soon. Not that schools will affect the OP but bad schools mean bad crime and Memphis has that in spades. It's usually named the first or second dangerous city in the country. New York City's crime rate, in comparison, is EXCELLENT. In fact, NYC's crime rate is one-third of Memphis' but it is also a fraction of Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga's crime rate. Of course, they might count crime stats differently but NYC is now a very safe city compared to what it was a few decades ago.

Okay. Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming and best of luck to the OP. Ultimately, she should visit and decide what is right for her.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Okay, but a lot of insults were thrown around I want to at least defend myself. I know that the quotes were from another poster and said so. They were knucklehead_vol's rave review from someone else that HE quoted. Further - and this is important because it goes back to where people are coming from and affects the OP's evaluation of these opinions: knucklehead_vol has looked into moving to Knoxville and Chattanooga for the past two years and as recently as last year. If Memphis were all that and East Tennessee is so horrible, why is he looking at those two cities? It seems his kids are going to be starting school soon. Not that schools will affect the OP but bad schools mean bad crime and Memphis has that in spades. It's usually named the first or second dangerous city in the country. New York City's crime rate, in comparison, is EXCELLENT. In fact, NYC's crime rate is one-third of Memphis' but it is also a fraction of Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga's crime rate. Of course, they might count crime stats differently but NYC is now a very safe city compared to what it was a few decades ago.

Okay. Carry on with your regularly scheduled programming and best of luck to the OP. Ultimately, she should visit and decide what is right for her.

Wow. I am also looking into East Nashville because I like what I have heard and read. I am still looking at Chattanooga, and have added Uraguay to the list since my mentor, Chris Capre lives there and loves it. Now will any of these places be a permanent residence? Not sure. My wife wants to open a restaurant in Midtown Memphis. I would move to Chattanooga in a heartbeat. I tell my wife all the time I want to wake up take care of my business and then go hang gliding every morning (some people like to run right). But would I get rid of my Memphis residence? No way. I love it here too. So many freaking things to do it's seriously stupid. But what are the two main reasons why I would buy another residence? Because I can and what I do. I trade foreign currencies, otherwise known as Forex. Why would this affect my decision? Volitility starts at the London Open, which right now is 2:00am CST, it would be nice to have another hour to start. So EST just puts me a little closer. But yes, when looking at other property, I need to look into all aspects, and that does include schools. Now are Memphis schools bad, as a whole yes, but I have a daughter from a previous marriage who goes to White Station H.S. She has a 4.6 G.P.A. and is going into her junior year. White Station is an excellent Memphis City school. She wants to go to Georgetown University and I think she may get a scholarship. She plays softball, golf, as well as other extracurricular activities. My other two are 2 and 4. if we stay in Memphis they will go to Idlewild and then Snowden. For high school it will be private. So to say that all Memphis schools bad, you are wrong. And I have experience and done PLENTY of research lol. So I am qualified from many standpoints to say where and what a good school is.

I am glad you brought it up that I have been looking at other cities, this gives my posts even more credence as I have done research, research, research. So OP if you have any questions, I have done the research and have actually lived in both Knoxville and Memphis. Also, so you can feel good, hipster, you have single handily crossed Knoxville off my list.

If I were coming in from another state and looking at cities, my suggestions would be either Memphis or Chattanooga. Both places have an excellent culture and soul. Neither are sprawled. Large tracts of land can be bought for cheap and accessed very easily. The urban areas are fabulous in both areas. As a matter of fact, one house I am still looking at a house on Oak St in Chattanooga. The price has dropped 25,000 so I am hoping for some more. The outdoor activites in Chattanooga is phenominal. Everything is at your hands, nothing too far removed from most places. Memphis, while not anywhere near the landscape of Chattanooga, it was voted the most improved biking city in the country and was chosen as 1 of 6 cities for a 15 million $ grant and has a huge canoe and kayak community since the MS river resides next to the city. Crime, unless you are on drugs and looking for trouble or stay out late looking for trouble, you will be safe in both cities. But where ever you go, always be alert. Chattanooga has a very cool walkable downtown and I love the greenlines of the city. The arts in Chattanooga is great, especially for a city its size. And Memphis' is getting huge. Memphis' Downtown and Midtown need no description, both are awesome. I am sure I have left things off, but I watching some trades also, so if you have any questions let me know.

Now Nashville and Knoxville. Knoxville is a college town. Once the students have gone it seems the city slllllllooooowwwws down. Not a good thing for me, maybe you. The pollution is bad, and it's not great in Chattanooga either. I would guess the mountains have something to do with that. The Smokies are beautiful, but can great very crowded, and it is also paying for it in pollution. More cars=more pollution. Downtown is not very big in Knoxville nor active. Nashville is just huge in terms of sq miles and it's population is just as spread out. This causes the huge traffic problems you may have heard about. But, that being said, is why IMO East Nashville is an excellent location. From what I have seen you can get a decent size lot with house of course. It is not very dense, so I would imagine at times it is hard to believe you are actually in the city. But the downside is the huge suburban areas. I do not like them, that is me though. I do not care for shopping at malls or going to a chain restaurant. East Nashville has none of those from what I have seen. But I plan on visiting soon, maybe in the next couple of weeks. Nashville has a great music scene too.

So all are different but Memphis and Chattanooga are more alike and Nashville and Knoxville are more a like. No matter the area, you'll be happy, in this state you have a lot to choose from.

Oh, and one other thing. And this is going off on a bit of tangent, but it may address any questions the OP may have for crimes.

As far as crimes and comparing to other cities, NYC doesn't even report crimes under 1000.00. So can you see how stats can be misleading? IMO if stats are going to be kept, I think there needs to be a national uniform stats process. Memphis and Chattanooga use the FBI uniform for reporting. So naturally, crime stats are higher. How does this help? Well Memphis curbed it's crime by 26% over the last few years. It helped knowing where and what type of crimes were committed, so in essence it zero's in on where focus. And as you can see, that 26% is a nice drop. As populations grow in cities, and crimes are not fully logged, then that means big problems later IMO. One more exampe and I am done. Baltimore has a smaller population, had almost 200 more murders than Memphis, and somehow it is lower in the Most Dangerous City category. I believe even Nashville is ahead of it. How does that happen?

So OP. I hope I have answered some questions.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Wow. Again.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM

667 posts, read 516,168 times
Quote:
This is the attitude I am talking about. Why do Tennesseans do this? Anyway, for your information Memphis has more Fortune 500 Companies than any other city in the state. But nice reference.

First, don't let your emotions blind you of the truth. As I stated before, Memphis is more than Southern poverty, however, that is a significant part of its identity. Memphis has many great things to offer, some good, some bad, some neutral.

Memphis has 3 Fortune 500 company headquaters in it's metro area, Nashville has 4 (not including Nissan US HQ), Chattanooga has 1, and Kingsport has 1.

Memphis has the highest major crime rate (adjusted for size) of any major city in the state.

Nonetheless, the OP questioned about what would be good for her. We can give her our experiences and opinions. Obviously, a visit to a potential relocation city is the best way to determine that answer.

Last edited by TNEC_Dad; 06-21-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee