Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM

41 posts, read 90,884 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old young lady that has been born and still living in New York City. I live in Staten Island where it is a little different than Manhattan, but it still is a chaotic city. However, for some unknown reason, something has been telling me that I don't know belong here and need to move to Tennessee. I have never been to TN (or any Southern state for that matter), but whenever I look at pictures of TN, I feel homesick. I can look at pictures of Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. all day, but I only get that sad feeling when it comes to the state of Tennessee.

I am not your usual New Yorker either. I like to live a slow life. I like to stay home all day cleaning, cooking, gardening, etc. I spend most of my days sitting in my backyard on a chair drinking tea, I love greeting people and talking to them, I would stop whatever I'm doing to help someone that needs assistance, etc. Most of my friends think that I have depression problems, but I don't. I just enjoy living a comfortable and slow life. My love for country and jazz music also makes my family question me lol

I think that the time has come where in about a year, I'm going to make the big move. I am planning on visiting TN in September to get to know the state more. I would just like native Tennesseans to help me out. Where would be a good area for me? I want a comfortable town, but I would also like to be close to a decent sized city. I'm not a nightlife kind of person, but it would be nice to go out with friends to a nice music club to enjoy drinks.

The most important thing for me is to feel safe. Right now, I have been living in my home for 7 years and still have not talked to my neighbors! So, it would be nice for me to feel like my neighbors are sort of like a family.

Also, (this might be important).. even though I am White, I am also a non-practicing Muslim. I don't follow the religion that much (sort of Agnostic in a way), but I have heard that in TN a lot of people always ask "What church do you go to?" So, how would I reply to them?

Please, share anything else that you may want to add! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I'm not a native Tennesseean - but we are moving from Staten Island to our retirement home in southwestern TN in 3 months. I did live in eastern TN a long time ago while in college. Where in TN are you planning to move?

Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM

I'm not sure. I was also thinking of living in the Southwestern part of TN, somewhere near the Mississippi river, but a few people have told me to stay away from the Memphis areas. I was also interested in towns around Nashville, but am not sure about that either.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Starting east and working west, prices for houses go down - generally. Prices in/around Nashville are pretty high. If you're looking for something similar to Staten Island, you won't find it anywhere, IMO. but you will find mountains/hills in around the northeast corner (Johnson City, Greeneville, Bristol) and it's also a bit more "eastern" - so less culture shock than heading on over to the west. That is my opinion and I'm sure some Tennesseeans may think differently but I'm going on what I know of Staten Island (been here 15 years) and my short time many years ago living in the northeast of TN. I spent 2 years looking at houses before we bought 2 years ago. We wound up in western TN (about 1 hr east of Memphis) because we were looking for very secluded - and we found it.

If you grew up on the southern tip of SI, you'll at least have some familiarity with septic systems and you'll find that and wells for almost any place you look at that is not within a city/town limit.

If you're near Ft. Wads, stop on over and we can chat.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
There is nothing wrong with "the Memphis areas." I would not limit yourself based on rumors.

Right now you have a dreamy, idealized version of what it would be like to live here. Your best bet would be to visit for an extended period. During July. Rent a car so you can drive the roads, talk to people and see what it's like.

Other questions that are more important than where you go to church include:

1) What do you do for a living?
2) How much do you want to pay for rent?
3) What kind of housing do you want to live in?
4) Have you done any research on Tennessee at all?

The state is very long, and encompasses two time zones. Its three grand divisions are quite different, and some parts of Ohio are closer to Knoxville than Memphis is.

You should be realistic and plan a trip here. There is plenty to do across the state at all times of the year, but answering the questions above will help us get you to a starting point.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
I lived in Tennessee for a bit. From Chicago so probably not as extreme as your move will be. A few suggestions.

Stay in a larger city
Knoxville
Nashville
Chattanooga

The smaller towns are very quaint but I'm afraid not as progressive. I would look at Nashville first then Knoxville

Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

The state is very long, and encompasses two time zones. Its three grand divisions are quite different, and some parts of Ohio are closer to Knoxville than Memphis is.

You should be realistic and plan a trip here. There is plenty to do across the state at all times of the year, but answering the questions above will help us get you to a starting point.
Another interesting note is that there is only a 50 mile difference in the driving distance between Bristol to Memphis and Bristol to Windsor, Ontario, Canada!

Good luck in your search. Personally, I love the Nashville area and hope to be able to move back there one day!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Paralegal Studies, I have an associates degree in Medical Billing, and I am planning on getting a Child Care license to open up a Day Care Center. I would spend up to $900 a month on rent (I woul like to buy a home in a few years.) I have done research and Franklin interests me a lot, but I'm not sure if I can afford it there just yet. I did research on Nashville and it seems like an ideal city for me. I mentioned the Memphis area because I have a relative that lives in Germantown. I haven't seen or talked her in 11 years, but I guess that it would be nice to have a familiar face nearby.

To be honest, I don't want to stay in a large city. I feel sick where I live now, very out of place. From the research that I have been doing, it seems like TN cities have good Southern Hospitality. I plan on coming in September, but am not sure if I should move it up to August.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
There is a massive difference between say, Knoxville or Nashville and NYC. I'm a northeastern transplant and I am here to say there is no comparison. I don't mean that in a good or bad way. It is just that southern cities tend to be much smaller in size and feel. In fact Knoxville, where I love, is more like a very large town. I grew up in a small town in the northeast and Knoxville is a good comparison. You need to visit first. Period. Just because NYC is not to your liking, it doesn't mean you should avoid Knoxville or Nashville. In fact a small town in Tennessee may throw you into major culture shock. It's a different world. In fact, you are talking about going out with a friend for a drink, a low-key affair. Well, in a lot of these small towns there is NO alcohol for sale. Not at a restaurant. Not in a store. It's something to think about.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There is a massive difference between say, Knoxville or Nashville and NYC. I'm a northeastern transplant and I am here to say there is no comparison. I don't mean that in a good or bad way. It is just that southern cities tend to be much smaller in size and feel. In fact Knoxville, where I love, is more like a very large town. I grew up in a small town in the northeast and Knoxville is a good comparison. You need to visit first. Period. Just because NYC is not to your liking, it doesn't mean you should avoid Knoxville or Nashville. In fact a small town in Tennessee may throw you into major culture shock. It's a different world. In fact, you are talking about going out with a friend for a drink, a low-key affair. Well, in a lot of these small towns there is NO alcohol for sale. Not at a restaurant. Not in a store. It's something to think about.

Thanks for your post, it's very helpful. I've actually visited my grandparents in Europe a few times in a very small farm town, so I get what your saying about the small towns in TN. I wouldn't mind staying in a small town if it was a short drive to a major city such as Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, etc. (no more than 40 minutes). But I have been researching online since last night and Knoxville seems like a good contender. I guess it's best for me to start out in a city and then move into a smaller town when I decide to buy a house a few years down the line. After all, I am a young and it would be easier for me to make friends living in the city and also, find a job.

I am very curious as to why a lot of people in the Northeast shun Memphis so much. I'm used to the "ghetto" since I've been around the many broken down neighborhoods in NYC numerous times, yet they make it seem like North Memphis is a city from hell. Why? Is it that bad where a person would have to fear for their life if they make a wrong turn and end up in that part of town? Or does it just get a bad rap because it's a "dangerous" area in a friendly state?

Last edited by NYC_Gal_88; 06-18-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee