Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Not to downplay the amount of crime that may occur here in Memphis, but 2 incidences in a 3 year period should not be used as examples for crime. A random woman being raped and killed is unfortunate, but it happens in every major city, everywhere, every week.

The majority of serious crime in Memphis takes place in areas you will NEVER live. The rest of the crime in Memphis is petty crime that every city has; you just have to be street smart and pay attention to your surroundings. (ie - do not leave things in plain site in your car, in your yard, etc). And eve then, that stuff happens in certain areas of the city, not everywhere. The stuff you here about on TV, the shootings, murders, etc...do not take place everywhere. They sure as heck don't take place anywhere around where I live, and I live in the middle of the city.

People tend to have a very warped idea of "memphis crime." I don't own a gun for protection, I don't wear a bullet proof vest to the grocery store, and I am glad to live where I do as opposed to some rinky-dink country town that has nothing to offer. I take bad in order to get the good that exists here.
And forgive me if I used those two incidences to try and show how bad crime is. Althugh crime IS BAD in Memphis, I should've used more examples.

I guess I brought those up as those incidents were close to home.. the DJ, Rebecca Glahn, killed was my age. I was working at WQMA 1520 in Marks, MS at the time.

Now, that being said... I've spoken to people who definatel,y agree with me that the crime rate in Memphis is kinda high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
. . . and I am glad to live where I do as opposed to some rinky-dink country town that has nothing to offer . . .
Well, you were making some good points until you got to this point . . . which sounds juvenile . . . and cheapens your entire post.

Oh, well.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
It's a Memphis thing -- a defense mechanism, I think. If you visit the Memphis board, you'll see that people who live in Midtown Memphis have to insult other parts of the region every time they want to make a point. As I often say, if I spent my evenings looking over my shoulder, I'd probably develop some kind of pre-emptive defense also.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Well, you were making some good points until you got to this point . . . which sounds juvenile . . . and cheapens your entire post.

Oh, well.
I was sad to see that comment, too, but not surprised. I don't mean I wasn't surprised at Pearlbob personally, but as strumpeace said people in Memphis often resort to those kinds of comments when they talk about Nashville which is clearly a cleaner, more progressive, faster-growing, and SAFER city than Memphis. And it drives Memphians absolutely bonkers that Nashville got the NFL team, gets more national concerts, has more skyscrapers, etc.

Besides, Memphians know that Nashvillians can't respond to that kind of juvenile potshot. After all, it's not politically incorrect to poke fun at rednecks and country music fans, but there's not much negative that someone can say against Memphis without sounding racist.

Memphian: "Nashville is nothing but rednecks and country music."
Nashvillian: "Memphis is nothing but ghettos and gangsta rap."

Only one of those statements would be called racially insensitive, no matter how much truth there is in it. And it ain't the one about Nashville.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
When was I talking about Nashville? Haha. Who in their right mind would think that Nashville is a tiny country town with nothing to offer???!!!

I was comparing Memphis to any small, country town in the country since we get so many people wanting to live an hour outside of Memphis is a tiny town in order to avoid the "big scary city." I was NOT referring to Nashville. that's too funny.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
No, you were probably talking about a little podunk town like Kingston, where I look forward to moving and spending the rest of my years! But it's okay. I wouldn't trade my little do-nothing existance for big-city Memphis action, ever! lol

Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Right, I was referring to that. Just kidding.

But seriously, if the person is comparing Nashville to Memphis, I would assume he/she wants to live in a major city, and since he was asking about inner city type neighborhoods in Nashville, I'd assume he wants to live inside the city somewhere safe, and not way out in the country and commute.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:17 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times
Quote:
Right, I was referring to that. Just kidding.

But seriously, if the person is comparing Nashville to Memphis, I would assume he/she wants to live in a major city, and since he was asking about inner city type neighborhoods in Nashville, I'd assume he wants to live inside the city somewhere safe, and not way out in the country and commute.

I lived in Nashville and the only dangerous areas were in Joe Johnston projects, South 8th projects, on trinity lane, and just south east of Nashville in those projects....everywhere else was not bad at all

Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
according to this...
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Nashville has a higher crime ranking than Memphis...

according to this...

City Crime Rankings by Population Group+

In cities with over 500k residents, Memphis ranked 3rd and Nashville ranked 7th in the " most dangerous " section.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:43 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times
Actually Memphis is more Dangerous.. you didn't read the stats right

1 being the worst, 10 being somewhat "better".. Memphis is 3rd and Nashville is 7t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
according to this...
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Nashville has a higher crime ranking than Memphis...

according to this...

City Crime Rankings by Population Group+

In cities with over 500k residents, Memphis ranked 3rd and Nashville ranked 7th in the " most dangerous " section.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee