Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times

Advertisements

Which of these 2 cities do locals think has the highest crime areas?

I used to live in Nashville and i can spot about 8 or 9 different housing projects on a map buy just knowing the area from when i lived there......tell me what streets are the housing projects in Memphis on?

Just studying the hot spots for crime in each city......I live in Orlando right now and have no way of finding out a local point of view on this subject....thank you everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Memphis has more crime than almost any city in the country. It is much worse than Nashville in that respect, hands down. It is impossible to explain the hundreds of areas of Memphis that have crime or housing projects. They are all over the city.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Memphis has more crime than almost any city in the country. It is much worse than Nashville in that respect, hands down. It is impossible to explain the hundreds of areas of Memphis that have crime or housing projects. They are all over the city.

Thanx for the response.....what area is the worst in Memphis?....North, East, South, West?........I remember hearing people in Nashville even say that Memphis was bad....and i remember them saying not to go to Joe Johnson in Nashville or South 8th Street.....and i found those areas on the map by knowing the streets in Nashville from when i lived there .....im just trying to figure out on a map what actual streets or neighborhoods are bad in Memphis and try to see them from googlemaps.......thanks again

Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 AM

I cannot emphasize that enough, it is impossible. There are bad areas all over Memphis. North, south, east, everywhere. I guess if you had to pin it down, "north memphis" is bad, as is "south memphis." And "southeast memphis." But there are bad areas to avoid all over. There is no way you can list areas to look up on google maps. The list would have thousands and thousands of streets and intersections on it. Memphis had a LOT of crime and a lot of bad areas.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
I've lived in both Memphis and Nashville, and even though I generally prefer Memphis over Nashville, Memphis definitely does have more crime. Pearlbob is right, too, that in Memphis the crime is everywhere. In Nashville, the high-crime areas seem to be fairly localized: Antioch, Dickerson Pike, and areas around Gallatin Road and Nolensville Road seem to be mentioned often. But in Memphis, you're never more than a few blocks from what looks like a crack neighborhood.

But even though my home in Memphis was burglarized 4 times in 18 months (and that's with a security system), it didn't stop me from absolutely loving the time I spent there. I would not hesitate to live in Memphis again.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

But even though my home in Memphis was burglarized 4 times in 18 months (and that's with a security system)
Wow 1 time I start to consider moving 2 times I burn the house down as I leave.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Which of these 2 cities do locals think has the highest crime areas?

I used to live in Nashville and i can spot about 8 or 9 different housing projects on a map buy just knowing the area from when i lived there......tell me what streets are the housing projects in Memphis on?

Just studying the hot spots for crime in each city......I live in Orlando right now and have no way of finding out a local point of view on this subject....thank you everyone
I used to live about an hour south of Memphis, in the Mississippi Delta (Marks-Clarksdale-Batesville) but I kept a close eye on what happened in Memphis.

It's a city I would never want to live in no matter how much money a radio station offered me. It's dangerous, dirty, full of drugs and crime.

Sure, every big city has it's downsides... but it just seems memphis has way more then it's fair share. I wouldn't feel safe walking around there at night.

A radio DJ was killed back in 2004 after being raped and strangled. Then a year ore two later, one of the radio stations had their offices shot up by gunfire late at night.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:44 AM

421 posts, read 1,691,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
and i remember them saying not to go to Joe Johnson in Nashville or South 8th Street.....
Yes,S.5th,6th,7th,&8th is the large public housing (James Cayce homes) just east of Titans stadium.You wouldn't be driving through there though unless you were detouring from a game or cutting across to Shelby Park.

Jo Johnston,Jefferson St.and 8th Ave. N are just to the NW of downtown and yes,avoid that area for the most part.(Farmers Market & Bicentennial Mall are right there though & are ok during the day)

8th Ave. N turns into Clarksville Pike as you continue north across the Cumberland.There is a WIDE swath both east & west that you'll want to avoid until you get many miles out(past Bordeaux/Whites Creek) into Joelton.(Bordeaux is where the store owner was shot execution style a couple of nights ago...)

This is to add to the areas mentioned by JMT...

firepower

Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM

104 posts, read 417,455 times
What about Germantown in Nashville? Lot's of yuppies supposedly moving in there but to me it looks rough, passing through?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
A radio DJ was killed back in 2004 after being raped and strangled. Then a year ore two later, one of the radio stations had their offices shot up by gunfire late at night.
Not to downplay the amount of crime that may occur here in Memphis, but 2 incidences in a 3 year period should not be used as examples for crime. A random woman being raped and killed is unfortunate, but it happens in every major city, everywhere, every week.

The majority of serious crime in Memphis takes place in areas you will NEVER live. The rest of the crime in Memphis is petty crime that every city has; you just have to be street smart and pay attention to your surroundings. (ie - do not leave things in plain site in your car, in your yard, etc). And eve then, that stuff happens in certain areas of the city, not everywhere. The stuff you here about on TV, the shootings, murders, etc...do not take place everywhere. They sure as heck don't take place anywhere around where I live, and I live in the middle of the city.

People tend to have a very warped idea of "memphis crime." I don't own a gun for protection, I don't wear a bullet proof vest to the grocery store, and I am glad to live where I do as opposed to some rinky-dink country town that has nothing to offer. I take bad in order to get the good that exists here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee