Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM

366 posts, read 493,036 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

Previously I began a thread where I asked for some ideas on a conservative community that may meet my needs.. I read the responses, researched and actually followed up with physical visits to several of them.

However I found more than one to be a bit too progressive for my liking. No I do not mean to insult anyone who lives in those communities, but my central purpose in moving is to live in a community that reflects is consistent with my values. This country is vast, I would think we can all find our personal Shangri-La without finding the need to impose our views on others. So my purpose is simply to find somewhere where I will fit in and be able to live out my life quietly.

In particular “I believe the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.” To wit, I support limited police protection, fire protection, water, sewer, roads however I believe social services should only be provided by individuals and charities, and they should receive no public funding from the community.

That being said I was deeply interested in Cookeville and visited there but ultimately found it too progressive for my tastes. Bearing in mind I consider Cookesville a moderate to progressive community can anyone suggest a more conservative area of Tennessee I should look at.

I thank you for any consideration you give this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Rural Appalachia sounds like it fits more of what you are looking for.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Rural Appalachia sounds like it fits more of what you are looking for.
So so far I have been preceding by looking at real estate via Realtor.com, contactng areal estate agent and then following on-line newspapers and calling members of the Township or City Council to feel them out on issues as feel as following the City Council and Township and County actions and researching it as far back as I can obtain on line.

If I was trying to look at property in Realtor.com for rural Appalachia as you suggest what would I put in for search criteria?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 PM

196 posts, read 732,165 times
Default cities

Tracy city, Beersheeba Springs, Altamont. Try those areas..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
Tracy city, Beersheeba Springs, Altamont. Try those areas..
I shall; thank you.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM

263 posts, read 613,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Greetings all,

In particular “I believe the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.” To wit, I support limited police protection, fire protection, water, sewer, roads however I believe social services should only be provided by individuals and charities, and they should receive no public funding from the community.
The problem you're going to run into with your philosophy is that, in general, social services are provided by the federal and state governments and have very little to do with local governments. Thus, no matter where you live, if you live the US, you're going to be living under a system that provides some degree of help to the poorest among us.

If you're trying to get away from people who rely on government assistance, the lastplace I would suggest is rural Appalachia. The counties and towns you'll encounter in that area tend to be among the poorest in the South and tend to rely the most of government assistance.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
I agree with the last post. Many, many, many people in rural Appalachia rely on the government for assistance because there's absolutely no sort of economy to mention in many places. But that in mind, I would also look at Rogersville, Blountville, Erwin, Mosheim...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
The problem you're going to run into with your philosophy is that, in general, social services are provided by the federal and state governments and have very little to do with local governments. Thus, no matter where you live, if you live the US, you're going to be living under a system that provides some degree of help to the poorest among us.

If you're trying to get away from people who rely on government assistance, the lastplace I would suggest is rural Appalachia. The counties and towns you'll encounter in that area tend to be among the poorest in the South and tend to rely the most of government assistance.
Actually one of my issues is with communities that take local taxpayer money and give it to local charities or create their own local social service Government agency. . This equates to stealing the just earnings of honest men and forcefully redistributing it to those the Government deems worthy. In many cases honest men are forced to support lifestyles they oppose on religious or other principles.

Kindest regards...

Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
I would suggest going off grid in Montana.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Muddy Pond. There is a Mennonite community there that is very conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee