Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM

56 posts, read 96,433 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 10, relocating to TN. We are a sustainable farming family that looks to be as self sufficient as possible without interference from BIG AG or Chemical Dumping. Does anyone know of where in TN would fit this need, we will be farming full time with the possibility of my husband doing senior level system IT work periodically. We also homeschool and are conservative Christians. Any advice for folks that haven't been to TN before? Are there really cheap places that can be good as a family farm with lots of acreage? Not necessary to be near large cities.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Organic mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
You can organic farm any where in the country that has a decent growing system. No one going to regulate you or tell you how to farm. The only time you will meet regulations is if you are going to SELL what you produce, then there are specific things you have to do if you want to be labeled as organic.

But more information is needed. How much land do you need- what is lots of land ? 30 acres, 100 acres? 500 acres?

What is your definition of cheap ? Without a price range and a land size no one can help you

Did you want land with house and barns , fence on it or are you simply looking for land ?

Home school- you can do that anywhere as long as you meet state education plans, etc. Conservative & Christian- plenty of churches in TN , that will be no problem.

I found this website for eastern TN which might be interesting for you. If you search on Google you can find more. Good luck

real estate farms for sale in east tennessee farm acreage in greeneville rogersville greene hawkins cocke county

Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Smile Chattanooga, website, Williams island / plateau

MOM.: WELCOME , Here is the NEW link for CHATTANOOGA Welcome to Chattanooga.gov . West side of the city in the river is WILLIAMS island.. I believe there is a educational farm , just what you are asking.
This would be across from BAYLOR upscale school.. LINK HERE http://williamsislandfarm.com/

... Prior posts up top on the SEARCH tool bar may have help.. I would suggest at least a 15 acre tract,
that should qualify for LOWER TAXES as the farm rate... Up on cumberland plateau , OR wALDEN RIDGE AS KNOWN towards DUNLAP is the farm soil, lower housing prices area.. Also knkown as the Dayton mountain region.. Lots of farmers markets there to sell out of back of truck .. Also north Soddy has weekend Flea market on rt # 27 , four lane hwy, that sell local produce..

I also noticed a small store that was in that topic on ROSSVILLE bldv,, a few block south of MAIN st
in Chattanooga, that specializes in starter plants, etc. If I find the name or link will add. ?

This region North west of the city of Chattanooga is what you are asking for..... Here is also the GORGE TRUST LINK http://www.trgt.org/
view more scenry, or contacts for land stewart- ship volunteer efforts, etc etc... This region is very family outdoor positive neighbor active.

Last edited by SPLIT; 07-04-2012 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: farm LINK

Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
You might want to look out towards Maury and Hickman counties. Not too far from Nashville/Cool Springs if you need to have a day job.

You would also be close to probably the biggest market for organic food. The yuppies of franklin and brentwood. There are few organic farms and lots of farmers market, lots of homeschoolling resources and more IT jobs.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Thank you, we are now looking at Perry county or possibly a surrounding county. Does anyone know of any property with a house that is forsale in those areas?

THank you!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Click on the link- it's website with homes for sale in Perry county.

Look over on the left hand side of the website when it comes up. There is space to click on features you would like , including lot sizes.

Looking through it quickly I did find one home for $ 89,900 on 6 six acres and another for $ 299,999 on 49 acres. No idea what the houses are like of course or what the land might be like.

Perry County, TN Homes for Sale & Real Estate

Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
You might also want to look into the more economically distressed counties. Hate to say that, but it'll give you a better return on investment. In East TN, look up Hancock, Hawkins, maybe Claiborne and Scott?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Thank you all for the recommendations. Can I ask what is the Gorge Trust? We are thinking within an hour or so from the major airport would be good too, I will look up those towns.
Thank you again!

Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Also, if I want to start looking for milk cows, sheep, pigs etc. where could I look? It sounds like craigslist is NOT the place.
Thank you !

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM

The Gorge Trust is a not for profit organization dedicated to protecting the Tennessee River Gorge Canyon.

No, Craigslist is not where you go to purchase livestock. You're really going to have to get yourself more
" in the loop " if you want to keep livestock and keep them alive and healthy.

Click on the links, it's a list of livestock auctions. Also, start looking for farm animal veterinarians. They are invaluable resource for who might be selling what when. In addition, look up the county agricultural extension agent for any county you might be interested in. Also a good resource for farmers.

Tennessee Livestock Market Contact Information

Tennessee Livestock Producers - Sheep & Goat Sales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee