Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Wow! This should be titled the "Whiny, Pushy People Looking to
Save a Buck and Not Adapt Need to Look Elsewhere" thread.

Nice posts Pineywoods and LauraC.

Too bad people won't take your advice, but will buy a huge chunk of land, throw up a monstrosity that they will insist is "downsizing," then leave when they realize that the locals are not about to adapt to THEM.

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-02-2007 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Exactly. There are 300 million people in the US, and only a few dozen who post in the Tennessee forum. I would hardly call that representative of some mass migration. In addition, Census figures clearly show that Tennessee is NOT growing as fast as places like Florida even though if you were to look at the Florida forum you'd think the entire state is moving out.

lol. And with good reason.

I like Tennessee, and dont need to change, or expect any one to adapt....

It is a clean friendly state, I have lived here almost 3 years and no one has stolen my car (unlike S Florida) I am polite and practice what goes around comes around...I am not from NYC, lol, just the suburbs, so please dont think all NY people are rude/aggressive!

My neighbors are mostly retired, when my dog ran off they all offered to help, and when I bought the house they even sent welcome cards, visited with cookies.

It is nice to learn there are some decent places, and people left in this country. In Florida I was beginning to wonder!.

sunny

Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Research, research, research. Its the way to learn about anything. I find Laura's information useful, as I do that of some other's.
We will not move without hubby first having a job. I see too many people move and then want to find a job. Hubby works for a company that is worldwide and they hire from within first..alot this is not a guarantee the first dealership will hire him.
We plan to rent for the first year, in case things do not turn out as we like. I think too many people rush into a move and will immediately buy a home. That is not for us. We want to be able to do "hands on" research before we totally commit.
The best way to fit in with the locals, anywhere, is to treat folks the way you wish to be treated.
I read at least a dozen newspapers online daily. From front to back. I check real estate websites several times a week. I've found all the online sites for libraries, town halls, fire and police depts, schools and much more. I search for photographs of various towns. And not just ones on City Data. I check on webshots, smugmug, ect.
The internet offers so many things one can search for in any given town or city. Google Earth is also a very helpful tool, as it allows you to look at different area terrain.
I'd never blindly move to someplace.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 73,682 times
Remember when you didn't have to research an area to live? You just saved your money, packed your bags and went! Not in today's world. I am retiring in a few years and it will take me that long to decide where I want to be. It's tough because moving is so stressful and I don't want to make a mistake. The most positive thing I have found in the Tennessee forum is that even though some are resistant to newcomers and others are very welcoming, all seem to agree that they love where they are living.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Great advice Alison L!

I think doing research on a area was true years ago, as it is today. And believe it or not, not everyone who moves here loves it. Different people like different things.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 AM

423 posts, read 1,405,158 times
Laura, regarding the forum picnic next April, is it set in stone? When? Where? I'd love to come, and drag my hubby with me. I am the social coordinator of the family, and Mark is all-task. So when I say "drag" I mean that literally!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 PM

445 posts, read 1,683,166 times
Default Research

who would move without doing research? I guess people would do so but my goodness, to uproot and change everything without first having good reason to do so and to make sure you can make it in a place is for fools.

It took us a couple of years to settle on the area we did settle on. We looked at three states and had a home before in another but we decided while that was good for vacation, it would not work for retirement.

Halleluyah, LauraC. Consider copying your post and placing it in it's own thread Things to consider before you buy land or something of that sort.

You took a good chunk of your time to come up with all that and type it up and it should get all the credit it deserves!

Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Robbied: A lot of us have been on this forum for a year, or much more, and we see people that move here without doing research all the time.

This is not the first post LauraC has made like that. It's at the point where I can recite some of this stuff in my head. It's a culmination of reading all of the posts that we see on here over and over and over, again. She didn't make this stuff up. She derived it from posts we've read for a very long time.

She's just so darn eloquent and thorough when she does it.

We've even joked that we were going to make copies of her posts and put them on the "Welcome to Tennessee" signs at the state line.

Of course, the people that it refers to, well, they will ignore it.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 PM

445 posts, read 1,683,166 times
Default it should be an attachment

Laura's posting should be an attachment that the state should require of all the companies who send the glossy brochures and postcards to all of the Florida residents and every other state they mass mail to.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Robbied: A lot of us have been on this forum for a year, or much more, and we see people that move here without doing research all the time.

This is not the first post LauraC has made like that. It's at the point where I can recite some of this stuff in my head. It's a culmination of reading all of the posts that we see on here over and over and over, again. She didn't make this stuff up. She derived it from posts we've read for a very long time.

She's just so darn eloquent and thorough when she does it.

We've even joked that we were going to make copies of her posts and put them on the "Welcome to Tennessee" signs at the state line.

Of course, the people that it refers to, well, they will ignore it.
LauraC Rocks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee