Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 37,479 times

Advertisements

Help!!! Can't afford to live here in Washington and I need to move to another place..I've done alot of research on E.Tenn.and would like to move there soon...but there are still some questions I need to ask about this area.
First of all I would be buying a place with at least an acre..I want to be able to have my ponies and chickens..BUT..I've heard that if you live in the South you will have more species of snakes,along with chiggers and ticks..anyone out there please let me know if I can walk around my property to tend to the animals ,gardens etc.and not have to worry all the time if chiggers are in the shady areas...ticks going on me when I walk in the woods or snakes crossing my path ..living in W.Washington this would never be a problem..maybe an occasional gardner snake every now and then you might see one...no chiggers here and ticks are rare.Do the animals get these ticks in them too?Any advice would be greatly apreciated..thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 07:19 AM

8 posts, read 17,401 times
can not answer your questions, but am considering moving to Sewanee, TN, from CT... want about 2,000 ft elevation and cultural events, and University of the South has a good reputation.. will be visiting there in Dec of this year, as well as other towns to see if it is a good fit for me.

I expect at that elevation, at least some critters will not be in attendance... I hope.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,377,609 times
We see snakes on occassion but very rarely poisionous ones, i've not seen any this year as dry as its been, chiggers and ticks are across the state but the only area that they were out of control was in crossville, keep your grass mowed and take a shower after you work outside and you'll be ok.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,235 times
Get yourself some guinea hens and they will eat the ticks. Rcm is right, keep your grass mowed and shower and you should be fine. We have ticks here in Maine and only notice them if the grass is long or the dog goes in the woods. Never had any on my horses.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Smile No need to worry about creepy critters.

Zeeya, we live in N. GA just 145 miles southeast of Knoxville. The last tick I saw on anyone in the family or our dog was in Massachusetts! We are in a mt. valley and have no problem with snakes or many insects. Our family pet doesn't even need a flea treatment here.

I think you are safe. Oh, the grass cutting tip is your best defense. A tick can live for several years on a weed or untouched blade of grass just waiting for a critter on any number of legs to brush by and latch onto its yummy host. So, so tall grass - no pesky ticks!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 10-19-2007 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: jumbled sentence - not T.S. Elliott!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
I have to cut in here. I've found several ticks in my daughter's hair. She is not out much, since she is not outdoorsy.

I don't want misinformation to get out there.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeya View Post
Help!!! Can't afford to live here in Washington and I need to move to another place..I've done alot of research on E.Tenn.and would like to move there soon...but there are still some questions I need to ask about this area.
First of all I would be buying a place with at least an acre..I want to be able to have my ponies and chickens..BUT..I've heard that if you live in the South you will have more species of snakes,along with chiggers and ticks..anyone out there please let me know if I can walk around my property to tend to the animals ,gardens etc.and not have to worry all the time if chiggers are in the shady areas...ticks going on me when I walk in the woods or snakes crossing my path ..living in W.Washington this would never be a problem..maybe an occasional gardner snake every now and then you might see one...no chiggers here and ticks are rare.Do the animals get these ticks in them too?Any advice would be greatly apreciated..thanks so much.
We have chiggers, ticks and the occasional snake; usually a black garden snake. Not every yard has critters, and we certainly aren't out in the sticks, but this is east Tennessee. We have a professionally landscaped yard, but still have these; I think, due to the neighbors wild yard. My parents are from Virginia and copperheads were pretty prevalent there also when I was a kid. My husband has a saying about snakes: red and black, venom lack; red and "yeller", kill a "feller".

We looked at some property a high school friend is selling that is near Rogersville; 5 acres, very private, spring fed pond, etc. but when we were covered in ticks we decided to pass. Some places are worse than others.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:58 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Cool They are in all 48 contiguous states, it seems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have to cut in here. I've found several ticks in my daughter's hair. She is not out much, since she is not outdoorsy.

I don't want misinformation to get out there.
Hik, does she like to lie in the grass? My boys used to get a few ticks each every summer in Michigan as they sat in the grass to play with cars and trucks. That was not much fun for the little tykes or their mommy!!

Glad you are watching out for the little one.

So, there you are, Zeeya, ticks live in all climes it seems. The trick is to avoid them and eliminate the environments where they would live in your yard - and wear socks and boots when you walk your property and pasture land.

Hope you find a nice spot. Best to you.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,661 times
If you have chickens, they should eat most of the ticks on your property. They do here on our place. Several years ago, I lived near Darrington, Washington, [across from White Horse Mountain] and that area and East Tennessee are alot alike. To me, anyway.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
There are ticks and poisonous snakes. That is the truth about the area.

Is it terrifying? Yes, until you get use to it. Most snakes, rattlers included, do not bite unless cornered.

Everything in life is a trade-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee