Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM

52 posts, read 95,342 times

Advertisements

Iam currently in Chattanooga I like it here. So far things seem logical in the places Ive been in Tennessee. Ive been thru Nashville too I liked Lebanon, and Springfield.From what Ive seen a week is not egnough to explore Nashville, Chattanooga,Knoxville.

Ive spent 2 days in Chattanooga and I could spend more days just on that. Nashvilles traffic wasnt to bad I was in it friday at 4pm took me 30min to get thru Nashville to me thats not bad. In Los angeles the same distance on a friday night would of taken 2 hours easy. Whats funny though when Im not in the car people seem suprised Im from California, though maybe they are just being polite.

Ive heard though if people say y'all come back that really means good bye. But some folks Ive met ask when Im coming back, and if I can stay for church next week, even giving me job search sites. Im not sure if that means they want me to stay or go lol.

As for weather I actually like it, its warm but not too hot, unlike where I stayed in Florida it cools off at night. The weather people said it was going to be a heat wave coming to Tennessee and it turns out folks are saying its more of a cool down. Though they say this is average for this time of year. I went to Atlanta today Seems like that needs another week on its own. So far though the only thing I would miss is seeing relatives in California, but theres always flying or the train.

Ive heard from locals though that there is still kkk type activity in the east part of Tennessee is this true? Because I want to avoid places like that. Is Knoxville and surrounding areas safe from that? That question is hard to ask but hate and ignorance still lives on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post
Ive heard from locals though that there is still kkk type activity in the east part of Tennessee is this true? Because I want to avoid places like that. Is Knoxville and surrounding areas safe from that? That question is hard to ask but hate and ignorance still lives on.
I'm sure if you went looking for it you'd find it, just like you would in Indiana or Alabama or just about anyplace else. Hate and ignorance aren't exclusive to TN or the South.
What you are more likely to find in here in east TN, in the more rural areas, is a lack of exposure to other races. Sometimes people do take a second look at hispanic or middle eastern people because they haven't been exposed to many other people of color and some of them can be confused or uncomfortable with that. If you'd never seen a woman in a hajib or burqa before wouldn't you look twice? It shouldn't be mistaken for hate or racism. Again I don't think that's any different than rural areas in most other places where the population is mostly white. Cities are cities, you shouldn't have any problems there.

AS far as "y'all come back" and "bless your heart", well, you're kind of going to go on context. Usually it's sincerely meant, unless you've just done or said something really clueless, offensive, or stupid. Then it's a snark.
Might as well mention southern hospitality and friendliness too, since that's usually the other stereotype that gets thrown around without being understood. Southern hospitality means good manners, being polite, making sure all the social niceties are observed, it is not the same thing as wanting to be best buddies.
If people invite you somewhere they MAY want to get to know you better, or they may be doing the polite thing and simply introducing a newcomer around. Being friendly comes natural to most southerners, making friends OTOH is not usually rushed into on short acquaintance, southerners can take their sweet time about some things,lol.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
DubbleT pretty much said what I was going to say. Welcome to TN

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 PM

Well Iam back in California I already miss being in Tennessee I want to go back lol. I only got bit 3 times by mosquitos. Its nice opening doors for older folk and not get mad dogged like you did something wrong. Memphis was kind of a scary place but Memphis is a big city so I'll let it slide.

Chattanooga was really great I liked it trash, sticky floors and all,which really is nothing like how California can get. The Tennessee river was really great. I got over my fears and drove thru Arkansas. On the way back I had it pictured California plates in Arkansas wouldnt go over to well but it seemed like they didnt care. For some reason I even felt at home in Arkansas even though it was my 1st time there.Both Arkansas and Tennessee made me learn that I do like the country more than I like city life.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Iam currently in Chattanooga I like it here. So far things seem logical in the places Ive been in Tennessee. Ive been thru Nashville too I liked Lebanon, and Springfield.From what Ive seen a week is not egnough to explore Nashville, Chattanooga,Knoxville.

Ive spent 2 days in Chattanooga and I could spend more days just on that. Nashvilles traffic wasnt to bad I was in it friday at 4pm took me 30min to get thru Nashville to me thats not bad. In Los angeles the same distance on a friday night would of taken 2 hours easy. Whats funny though when Im not in the car people seem suprised Im from California, though maybe they are just being polite.

Ive heard though if people say y'all come back that really means good bye. But some folks Ive met ask when Im coming back, and if I can stay for church next week, even giving me job search sites. Im not sure if that means they want me to stay or go lol.

As for weather I actually like it, its warm but not too hot, unlike where I stayed in Florida it cools off at night. The weather people said it was going to be a heat wave coming to Tennessee and it turns out folks are saying its more of a cool down. Though they say this is average for this time of year. I went to Atlanta today Seems like that needs another week on its own. So far though the only thing I would miss is seeing relatives in California, but theres always flying or the train.

There are KKK types in California if you look for them.

Why are you sticking to the larger cities in Tennessee? Have you thought about the smaller cities?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
There are KKK types in California if you look for them.

Why are you sticking to the larger cities in Tennessee? Have you thought about the smaller cities?
The larger cities just gave an idea on what part of Tennessee I would want to live in. I know I've thought of Pikeville, Hamilton, Cleveland. I didnt want to go for small towns as I figured the smaller the town the more hate they would have for someone from California. It seems though that they dont care just as long as I dont expect starbucks, heck I'd be happy if I never saw another starbucks lol.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
The larger cities just gave an idea on what part of Tennessee I would want to live in. I know I've thought of Pikeville, Hamilton, Cleveland. I didnt want to go for small towns as I figured the smaller the town the more hate they would have for someone from California. It seems though that they dont care just as long as I dont expect starbucks, heck I'd be happy if I never saw another starbucks lol.
When I moved into my home I had just about every neighbor on the street come by and introduce themselves and ask if I need help or anything. One neighbor even drove us to the local boat dock and helped me cut my overgrown grass. They all know we are from California and they still are being very friendly and neighborly. When I go into town and talk to people about being from California they always say "Welcome to Tennessee" or "Welcome to Cookeville". I have not run into anyone who said or did anything negative because we are from California.

BTW ... Starbucks is also in Tennessee and even in Cookeville but you won't find me their. I like just a regular cup of joe.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Quote:
Your fears are totally unnecessary. But in a worst case scenario, you could learn the local dialect and tell everyone you're from Bakersfield.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
I spent 3 years looking and narrowed it down to Mid or Eastern, TN. Definitely NOT Memphis or close to it. Nashville was nice and I liked the town of White House just north of it, but the traffic was heavier than I wanted as I was escaping fro0m CA traffic as it was. Chattanooga was nice but there are only a few major roads and they all were very busy when I was there, again reminding me of CA too much. The Tri Cities were either busy City or very rural. Knoxville was the best in my opinion and I picked a "town" near there. Minimal traffic yet i can hit any of the malls in a very short time. Down town in 20 minutes and then leave.

Pricing, Chattanooga lowest but the Knoxville area just worked best for my wife and I. Take your time it is a long way to move.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I spent 3 years looking and narrowed it down to Mid or Eastern, TN. Definitely NOT Memphis or close to it. Nashville was nice and I liked the town of White House just north of it, but the traffic was heavier than I wanted as I was escaping fro0m CA traffic as it was. Chattanooga was nice but there are only a few major roads and they all were very busy when I was there, again reminding me of CA too much. The Tri Cities were either busy City or very rural. Knoxville was the best in my opinion and I picked a "town" near there. Minimal traffic yet i can hit any of the malls in a very short time. Down town in 20 minutes and then leave.

Pricing, Chattanooga lowest but the Knoxville area just worked best for my wife and I. Take your time it is a long way to move.
If it was just me moving to Tennessee I would lean more east Tennessee, I really enjoyed what little bit of the smokies I was able to see. I really liked Bristol But as I've said before my dad and his girlfriend would be moving with me, I know they will enjoy the Chattanooga area more. But once settled in Tennessee I could try and look for work in Bristol, Knoxville.

Its been really tough out west to find any job. Hopefully I can do better in Tennessee. I would be happy mopping floors if that would get my foot in the door. The main thing to me looks like getting out of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee