U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,633 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Jackson, TN and was wondering if anyone had any information that would help me make up my mind. I have read all the facts that online pages have to offer, but was hoping to hear a little about the city from people who actually live there. I am 26 years old, single. I am not looking for a party town, but i don't want to live in a town that is dead either. The way i work i will have long spurts of time on my hands and would like to enjoy myself while I am off. I really like Tennessee and think its the best state for me to move to. If you have any other cities in mind that you think are nice, feel free to share those as well. But I am not wanting to live in a really big city. But at the same time i dont want to live in a small town either. I would like to live in a city that is big enough to actually shop in and etc. but small enough that traffic isnt horrendous all the time! Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Carlie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 34,035 times
Jackson's a fun city I guess... I go there every now and then. But let me tell you, the trafic there is horrible. Especially around the hwy 45/I40 area... I have no idea what the city planners were thinking when they planned those roads but it's constant congestion.

lots of places to eat and their mall is pretty average with most stores you'd want. That's about it though lol. Got quite a few clubs aswell

Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 11,848 times
Jackson's Great if you don't mind getting robbed.

I lived on the upper Northwest side above I40 in an upper middle class neighborhood (approx home price $275,000). In one day thieves cleared out my house and five of my neighbors while we were at work.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I think we were being targeted for our social status. I'm just glad my daughters weren't at home because I'm not sure what the thieves would have done.

I have since moved to Austin, TX and we are much more happy here and have yet to see any crime in our neighborhood.

Best of luck on your move

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 17,624,634 times
In all seriousness. Look somewhere else. Jackson is going down the sh**chute real fast!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:09 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,245,003 times
My 2 cents.
Positives
Friendly locals
very low housing cost, and cost of living
lots of young adults with all the colleges

Negatives
lacking outdoor rec
Lots of backed up traffic for a town it's size
weather - storms as mentioned, & muggy summers. Sept through May is nice though.

Visit before you settle. Sorry I can't think of other places in the area to consider.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,716,123 times
I don't go to Jackson too much anymore, but has it had a large influx of Latin Americans? My brother, who still lives near Jackson, seems to think middle TN has had a larger influx than west TN.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,023,667 times
Crockett County's Hispanic population has grown exponentially over the last decade. Besides the opportunities for agricultural work, the Pictsweet company in Bells has many Hispanic employees. I'm not sure if that has had an effect on Jackson.

(For those of you lurking and unfamiliar with West Tennessee, Crockett County is a small county northwest of Madison County. Bells and Alamo are the largest towns there. Jackson is in Madison County.)

Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,555 times
i live on steammill ferry in jackson... i have had atleast 6 ppl get killed on my road alone.. find somewhere else

Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,137,666 times
Consider Knoxville before Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee