Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:27 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Went on an errand to Norris this afternoon (10/05/07) so while I was up there I thought I'd bring the camera and check out the foliage. I was thinking it's further north than Oak Ridge, maybe the leaves are doing something. As you can see, things are still pretty green. Will do this in 3 posts.

The first two photos were taken near Weir Dam.

The Grist Mill near the Lenoir Museum

Near Norris Dam - As you can see, in addition to the trees being pretty green, the water appears to be way down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Norris Dam and Marina

This is Norris Dam and the marina at the base - Everything still looks green to me.

Last edited by LauraC; 10-05-2007 at 04:55 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Shag Cockadoodle Doers - What are they?

Okay. The white shag-looking fowl was carrying on like a rooster. The thing never stopped cockadoodledoing. It was furry for a bird, you know, plush like a deep shag carpet. Never saw anything like it before. The black one looked just like it but it was quiet. The rusty colored one was also quiet but it was hyper and more feather-familiar looking. I'm pretty sure the bird with the neck is a peacock. Any identification help would be appreciated so I don't sound like a dodo if I have to talk about them again. And what's that curly melony looking vegetable (second photo)?

And these are sheep not big goats, right?

These bird and animal photos were taken in the Museum of Appalachia (Norris) parking area.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay. The white shag-looking fowl was carrying on like a rooster. The thing never stopped cockadoodledoing.

Had to be the female.....

Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Thanks for sharing those excellent photos! I'm ashamed to admit that I've never ventured to the Museum of Appalachia, but maybe I can drag my girlfriend down there sometime soon. Love the grist mill pic in particular.

FWIW, the chickens pictured are called silkies, or silkie bantams. The larger bird is a female peacock, or peahen. The big melony things appear to be green-striped Cushaw squash. And the sheep are indeed sheep!

Fall colors are starting to pop out here in NE Tenn.; I've seen several maples ablaze in the last couple of days in both Greene & Washington counties. I'm becoming guardedly optimistic about the coming foliage display.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Boy that brings back child hood memories........ nice photo's where is the museum?

Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Boy that brings back child hood memories........ nice photo's where is the museum?
The museum is located in the town of Norris. If you come to Oak Ridge you head north starting on 95, the Oak Ridge Turnpike, which changes to 61 as you go through the town of Clinton. This is a traffic light multi-lane road. The Museum of Appalachia is on 61, on the left, if you are coming from the south.

Welcome to the Museum of Appalachia

I prefer a different roundabout route, though, so I can see more. From 61, I get off (exit ramp on the left with traffic light) on I-75N. I exit I-75N at Route 441 (exit number 128) then get on 441 heading south and east and down. 441 (a curvy high elevation road) goes past the west and east entrances to Norris Dam State Park, the Norris Dam overlooks, the marinas, Norris Dam, Weir Dam, the Grist Mill, Threshing Barn, and a cute little photogenic Baptist Church. You will eventually see a yellow sign for the Museum of Appalachia on your right. Turn right onto that cut-off road and make a right at the end. You'll be back on 61, the entrance to the Museum of Appalachia will be on your right. In other words, you will have made a loop and do not have to go back the way you came. When you come out of the museum, make a right to be back on 61 heading back, through Clinton, to Oak Ridge.

If you get off at any of the scenic things on 441, you'll know you are going in the correct direction when you get back on 441 if you think, south, east and down.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
FWIW, the chickens pictured are called silkies, or silkie bantams. The larger bird is a female peacock, or peahen. The big melony things appear to be green-striped Cushaw squash. And the sheep are indeed sheep!

Fall colors are starting to pop out here in NE Tenn.; I've seen several maples ablaze in the last couple of days in both Greene & Washington counties. I'm becoming guardedly optimistic about the coming foliage display.
Thanks for the information about the birds, vegetable and sheep. I will be going to the Tennessee Fall Homecoming this coming weekend and hope to have more photos then.

And thanks for the info about the foliage east of me. Will be in Sevierville, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge on Wednesday.

Guess what guys, I also read that Parsons Branch Road inside of Cades Cove was re-opened in September.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
We saw those fuzzy chickens at the museum, too. They are very funny!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Thumbs up The museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The museum is located in the town of Norris. If you come to Oak Ridge you head north starting on 95, the Oak Ridge Turnpike, which changes to 61 as you go through the town of Clinton. This is a traffic light multi-lane road. The Museum of Appalachia is on 61, on the left, if you are coming from the south.

Welcome to the Museum of Appalachia

I prefer a different roundabout route, though, so I can see more. From 61, I get off (exit ramp on the left with traffic light) on I-75N. I exit I-75N at Route 441 (exit number 128) then get on 441 heading south and east and down. 441 (a curvy high elevation road) goes past the west and east entrances to Norris Dam State Park, the Norris Dam overlooks, the marinas, Norris Dam, Weir Dam, the Grist Mill, Threshing Barn, and a cute little photogenic Baptist Church. You will eventually see a yellow sign for the Museum of Appalachia on your right. Turn right onto that cut-off road and make a right at the end. You'll be back on 61, the entrance to the Museum of Appalachia will be on your right. In other words, you will have made a loop and do not have to go back the way you came. When you come out of the museum, make a right to be back on 61 heading back, through Clinton, to Oak Ridge.

If you get off at any of the scenic things on 441, you'll know you are going in the correct direction when you get back on 441 if you think, south, east and down.
Thanks LC..... will be put on my too do list when I'm their in April. What type of camera are you using?........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee