Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
I don't recall exactly, but I'm sure within the last 5 years. They bought out some stores owned by a chain, I think it was Albertson's. Maybe it was just that Albertson's wanted out of the TN market. I know there used to be a store in Murfreesboro that was in the chain (I think it was called FoodMax), but it just closed. It's now a gym. I believe that the Publix is new to Smyrna and the one on Murfreesboro Road in Nashville near the K-mart closed. Mostly, I remember hearing about them from commercials on the radio.
Publix bought out several Albertson's in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,770 times
Publix bought out two Bi-Lo's in Murfreesboro. There are two now in Smyrna and the one in Antioch, I believe closed, but they are going to put another one somewhere there.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:56 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolic View Post
Really? I am surprised that Publix would move into Knoxville see how much Food City is building in the area.
I am sure the same thing was said in Georgia with Kroger. But Publix quickly took market share.

The march will slow due to the economy and the need to build the infrastructure. The closest warehouse is Northern GA, last I read.

But it will continue unless Kroger decided to buy them out.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I can understand what you are saying, but isn't Publix creating local jobs? The more stores they open, the more local jobs will be created. Eventually a warehouse will have to be established here as well creating many more local positions.
Very true. The only thing not local about Publix would be the Corporate Headquarters.

When Publix moves in its not like the jobs move overseas. Any jobs lost by Publix expansion(Closing of Food City, Kash & Carry, Food Lion ,are those up there?) are just moved to Publix no loss of jobs. Well maybe a store manager, Publix only hires those jobs from within. But as Publix expands any new person from TN can move up and get that job.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
But it will continue unless Kroger decided to buy them out.
I would guess that would be harder to do with Publix since it's an employee-owned company.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I would guess that would be harder to do with Publix since it's an employee-owned company.
Not really for the most part it is still a family business even though technically a a private corporation. The board is controlled by 2 families. Jenkins and another one, Barnett if my memory is correct. I know the family of the founder George Jenkins is in to its 3rd generation at least. Statistically I read somewhere that is when families usually sell the family business, I might be a generation off.

There have been rumors of selling for years and years so doubt it will happen.

I worked for Publix 11 years. All through middle, high and college. It really is a great place to shop and work.

**disclaimer** I am still a stock holder

Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Somewhat off-topic, but since we're talking about Publix . . .

I occasionaly get carded at Publix for buying beer (as does everyone because of the state law). It's silly since at my age I look nothing like an 18-year old so the clerk and I usually joke around about it. They told me at the Publix I go to that the oldest person they've carded so far at that store was a 96-year old woman.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM

So funny you bring that up.

My sis-in-law just started working at one of the Publix's in Chattanooga as a cashier and she was told everyone gets carded. She felt silly, no one told her it was a law just that it was policy up there.

She said she carded someone that could barely walk. I found the story so funny.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,247 times
The little old lady should take it as a compliment

Old 12-17-2008, 01:16 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I can understand what you are saying, but isn't Publix creating local jobs? The more stores they open, the more local jobs will be created. Eventually a warehouse will have to be established here as well creating many more local positions.
Very true. The only thing not local about Publix would be the Corporate Headquarters.

When Publix moves in its not like the jobs move overseas. Any jobs lost by Publix expansion(Closing of Food City, Kash & Carry, Food Lion ,are those up there?) are just moved to Publix no loss of jobs. Well maybe a store manager, Publix only hires those jobs from within. But as Publix expands any new person from TN can move up and get that job.
Knoxville is actually a market where in 2007, Kroger had the most grocery sales, followed by Wal-Mart, and Food City was in third, but all were separted by about 2% in gross sales. There's also a few Ingles, Food Lions, and a couple more. A Publix should effect them all, perhaps Wal-Mart less than the others. So if Publix is talking with Food City specifically, it's probably a more strategic, trying to avoid each other's neighborhood's talks rather than hostile talks. Food City and Publix are actually very similar models of grocery stores. Publix is much larger with almost 1,000 stores compared to Food City's just over 100.

Food City is also a privated held family and employee owned grocery store based on the Tennessee/Virginia border. But a Publix expansion that results in market share and store loss from Food City, would indeed result in a net loss of jobs in Knoxville and the rest of East Tennessee. While the overall number of jobs working in grocery stores would probably not change, Food City buys the bulk of its produce and other 'generic' brands (that aren't repackaged national brands) locally in East Tennessee from farmers and local retailers. Misty Mountain Spring Water, Kern's Bread, Terry's Snacks, Kay's Ice Cream, and Lay Meats, are several exclusive Food City brands from local companies in Northeast Tennesse. Most of these companies went out of business in the past, and restarted because of the success of Food City. Food City is local to East Tennessee in more ways then just corporate headquarters. But Food City's local connection including distribution points should allow them to keep prices lower while continuing to advertise as the local alternative, and I would be surprised if Food City were hurt as much as other chains in the Knoxville area by a possible Publix expansion.

Last edited by Trevor92; 12-17-2008 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Grammatical changes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee