U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,685 times

Advertisements

I moved from upstate New York to Florida and have been here a year. I do not like it here. Too much crime. I am thinking of moving to Tennessee and would like to be in the country, but not too far from activities. I am 55 y/o and need to know what would be an affordable, friendly, safe area to move to where I could also meet people around my age, but also want to be around younger people also. I am an active person with many interests. Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 AM

225 posts, read 1,106,383 times
Hi Bernadette,
Look at Rutherford, Wilson, and Williamson Counties. You will get the most for your money in Rutherford and Wilson counties. Mt. Juliet is growing by leaps and bounds in Wilson County. Still lots of "country" area but close to shopping (great new mall) and restaurants. Murfreesboro in Rutherford County is much larger and is a true city. Murfreesboro is also a college town which makes it just a neat place to live. Unlimited shopping, restaurants, yet minutes out from the city you will find the country living you are looking for. Williamson County, Franklin, Thompson Station, Spring Hill, or Leipers Fork are all gorgeous with lots of rolling hills and beautiful scenery. You will pay more for housing in these areas over Murfreesboro or Mt. Juliet. It really depends a lot on your lifestyle and how many conveniences you want nearby.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,918 times
The Memphis area has alot of activities and there are nearby rural communities you may like to live in .

Old 09-28-2006, 07:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,649,466 times
Thumbs up Soddy Daisy Half-back

B; We did the same thing 2 months ago. 25 yrs Poughkeepsie and Troy , ny. Then 12 yrs Melbourne. Now in Soddy Daisy , north 20 miles of Chatannooga. Semi retired late 50's. Many churches here and would suggest you find church first, then your neighborhood. Recreation is very high on list. Riverfront if you like boating / fishing, or Walden ridge top if you like hiking / views. City of Chat is great for every weekend activity, They have many web sites to search. Also the daily newpaper "TIMES FREE PRESS " . com , gives you all your other answers. Housing slight cheaper the more NORTH you go oout of the city. House insurance only 30 % of Fla, car insurance cheaper, house taxes also. Water bill $ 14 / month. Electric $35 /month during 95 degree AC month Aug. Dental ins harder to accept NEW Patients, example CIGNA out of Fla, so ASK ahead or switch for Jan of new year ?? Mostly Empire Blue Cross has HQ here in Chatannooga easy roll over.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,680 times
Hi Bernadette,
My family and I just moved here from coffee county,Tn.
It is a great place to live with low crime. I lived there for 35years and love it. There is lots to do and your only about 50 minutes south of Nashville. We still own a home there and I wish we could move back but as luck has it my husbands work is here now. There are some really awesome people there. You would have no problem making friends and finding lots of recreational things to do. They just built a new rec center in town. A great place to meet friends. The cost of living and homes are definately alot better than here! I couldn't believe the difference in cost. Wow.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,341,585 times
Tri-Cities also has what you said you are looking for, not only that, but close to Asheville NC, Abington VA and easy access to interstates for travel up and down the east coast.
Sounds like TN has lots of options for you! LOL. Take a trip, drive around, check it out. Only you can decide the best place for you.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 PM

36,892 posts, read 38,322,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernadetteC View Post
I moved from upstate New York to Florida and have been here a year. I do not like it here. Too much crime. I am thinking of moving to Tennessee and would like to be in the country, but not too far from activities. I am 55 y/o and need to know what would be an affordable, friendly, safe area to move to where I could also meet people around my age, but also want to be around younger people also. I am an active person with many interests. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Bernadette-

We're the same age and I'm assuming you might be single and either retired or close to being retired, too. You might want to look for a town that offers educational courses for retirees and volunteer opportunities but not live in a retirement community so you can be with people of all ages. Through the classes, you'll meet people around your age and through the volunteer opportunities you'll meet all kinds of people.

I've noticed a lot of towns have volunteer opportunities related to annual events/festivals. The good thing about those is if you don't like it, after the event is over, you're done. But the annual event is probably a good way to meet other people in the town especially if you are doing something on the day of the event rather than working behind the scenes before the event.

Classes though, give you an opportunity to be with people and discuss your interests. And I'm not just talking regular classroom training either. I've noticed, for example, that the civic center in the town where I'm looking has water exercise classes at the indoor pool, the Art Center in town has all kinds of art classes and I even found a school for retirees that offers heavy duty science classes in addition to a variety of other types. That latter school has 5 nearby trips a semester and it has a fiction book group, a nonfiction book group and a movie group. It also has a group that meet to go walking together at different spots in town.

And affiliated with the University of Tennessee, is the Smoky Mountain Field School, where you can take courses if you are an outdoors enthusiast. They meet in different places in the national park for hikes and learning experiences on the weekends.

If anyone is interested in any of these things, let me know and I'll post some links.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 49,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And affiliated with the University of Tennessee, is the Smoky Mountain Field School, where you can take courses if you are an outdoors enthusiast. They meet in different places in the national park for hikes and learning experiences on the weekends.

If anyone is interested in any of these things, let me know and I'll post some links.
Hi Laura,

New member here looking to retire in Tennessee.......... I am interested in the website(s) concerning the Smokey Mountain Field School. We have been looking at Maryville and Oak Ridge as possible relocation spots.

Thank you,
Kim

Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 PM

36,892 posts, read 38,322,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Kim View Post
Hi Laura,

New member here looking to retire in Tennessee.......... I am interested in the website(s) concerning the Smokey Mountain Field School. We have been looking at Maryville and Oak Ridge as possible relocation spots.

Thank you,
Kim
Smoky Mountain Field School is affiliated with UT-Knoxville:

http://www.outreach.utk.edu/smoky/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee