Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

I spent at least $100 on school supplies for Lauren this year, and it was manadatory. We couldn't afford it, the year before, and I can't even begin to tell you how her first grade teacher treated her because of this. But that was one very strange teacher.

Kindergarten and second grade teachers have been fabulous.

But anyway, I didn't know there was a school left that didn't require parents school supplies. You are very lucky, MBMouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
We just bought property in Kingston. Schools there, allegedly, are pretty good. I'm not familiar with Wilson County schools.

At any rate, I'm not concerned really because:

1. I intend to be much more involved in my son's education once we move, due to the extra time we'll have once we move to TN. (I don't reckon we'll have to work two jobs each, just to pay the mortgage!)

2. There are plenty of private schools, and they're (allegedly) much more reasonably priced than private school here in NJ. (Here you've got to be wealthy to send your child to private school--literally upper crust).

My son is 2 now and if you wind up in Roane County, when your little one reaches school age he'll be an old hand at it and can give her some advice! lol

Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Here is something else to take into account when looking at average report card scores of a school, the grading scale.
Here in Washington County schools, this is the scale:
A-93-100
B-85-92
C-75-84
D-70-74
F-Below 70

In CT the grading scale is:
A-90-100
B-80-89
C-70-79
D-60-69
F-below 59

In FL the grading scale is the same as CT:
A-90-100
B-80-89
C-70-79
D-60-69
F-below 59

So in comparing only these three states (I used those three as those are the 3 I have lived in, attended school in or my children have attended school in)
the grading is tougher in TN schools. If you are an A honor roll student in CT it is the equivalent to a B honor roll in TN. Or, if you flunked out of school in TN, you would have passed in FL schools.
Interesting that TN ranks bellow CT schools but it seems like the grading scale is harder in TN. And seeing as GPA's are in direct correlation to grade percentages, wouldn't that mean that a person with a 3.0 GPA in TN would be equivalent to a 4.0 GPA in CT or FL? And as colleges base entrance into their school on not only SAT test scores but on GPA's, doesn't that mean someone from TN would have to work harder and do better on tests than someone from CT or FL to get into the same colleges?
Oh and I also checked, in CT, Middlesex county 7th grade English and math are using the exact same text books as my son in Gray school does so I can't see that the curriculum is that much different if they are teaching from the same books.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
The grading scale may be tougher here, but I wouldn't base much on that.

A high score on some of the TCAP tests here would not pass or marginally pass in other states.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile Great to see so many parents involved in their local schools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I spent at least $100 on school supplies for Lauren this year, and it was manadatory. We couldn't afford it, the year before, and I can't even begin to tell you how her first grade teacher treated her because of this. But that was one very strange teacher.

Kindergarten and second grade teachers have been fabulous.

But anyway, I didn't know there was a school left that didn't require parents school supplies. You are very lucky, MBMouse.
Hiknapster, I can't tell you how many hundreds of dollars I would spend in one school year buying supplies for my students because of so many not having the family income to do so. You would be amazed how much money fully-invested teachers spend out of their paychecks just to be sure every child has the supplies they need, get to attend field trips that they otherwise wouldn't, and just to purchase a few spare pairs of mittens and warm hats for those kiddies who are without. They do it because they love their kids and want the playing field at school, at least, to be level.

You are so right about teaching to tests. It is a real killer of student and teacher enthusiasm for learning. For many, you have stripped them of any challenge because you are wasting their time just reteaching again and again what they already know. For all, it is PRESSURE! Individual teachers are held accountable and up to the scrutiny of their principal and peers if their classroom has lowered the school's scores - without considering the demographics of the individual classroom. It is driving many teachers from the profession and holding back so many "bursting at the seams" learners.

I fully support the No Child Left Behind theory. I have taught after school hours to assist those under achieving students and SLE kiddies through No Child Left Behind, but I try to teach what each child needs and wants. Some kids are crazy about math and science, but are struggling readers. Why force them to go through a set regimen of math and science programs when they could be doing fun science projects that require reading materials lists, instructions for their project, expected outcomes, etc. (Draw an arrow up to the line that says "struggling readers".) Boing! You are not boring him with science and math that he has already assimilated, but are challenging him to improve his reading so he can complete a pet project.

Another problem arises besides the one already brought up by jimj about special needs children being factored in - class sizes are not the same from district to district. As much as a teacher wants to provide individual attention to some struggling students, it is impossible if the class numbers 30-34 students. Most of my son's classes in MA, MI and PA had between 20 - 24 children and some less than 20 per class. Plus, because of his ADHD the schools in MA provided him with a resource teacher who administered his class tests in private so that he would not be distracted! How luxurious would that be in TN?

But, that is where parent participation can help. If a parent is not working outside the home he/she could volunteer at your child's school for an hour or two a week to help a student with reading or math (compatible with one's skills - Don't tutor geometry if you only know that a triangle has 3 sides and makes a pretty "ting" sound when struck!). It is amazing to see the transformation that can take place in a child's confidence in their abilities just by being able to keep up with the class. Then, they can soar!

Mbmouse, I love to hear about schools where the PTO membership is almost equal to the number of students. Boy, the great things that those members can accomplish in the school, not just for their own child, but for all children. Especially, the ones without a parent who is a member. These are often disenfranchised children who need help the most.

End of dissertation. Exit podium.

(You guys all sound like great parents!)

Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Thumbs up Schools are asking for percentages only on transcripts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Here is something else to take into account when looking at average report card scores of a school, the grading scale.
Here in Washington County schools, this is the scale:
A-93-100
B-85-92
C-75-84
D-70-74
F-Below 70

...wouldn't that mean that a person with a 3.0 GPA in TN would be equivalent to a 4.0 GPA in CT or FL? And as colleges base entrance into their school on not only SAT test scores but on GPA's, doesn't that mean someone from TN would have to work harder and do better on tests than someone from CT or FL to get into the same colleges?
Oh and I also checked, in CT, Middlesex county 7th grade English and math are using the exact same text books as my son in Gray school does so I can't see that the curriculum is that much different if they are teaching from the same books.
That is a good point, mbmouse. However, as we have transferred our youngest son between 4 states over the last 11 years, all of the school districts that we have transferred into (including here in GA) want only percentages - A,B,F,etc. grades on the transcripts. I think that most schools are pretty savvy about what other states consider an A or failing. So, that is pretty much across the board now.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Oh, I know, Gemthornton. Most teachers do that. We never expected the teacher to pay for our supplies, and believe me, she did not. Instead, we bought things one at a time and even paid the school fee, albeit at the end of the year.

This teacher was very different than most. I don't hold it aganst the school or Knox County.

MBMouse: I'v never heard of this grading system in Tennessee. Seems strange. Either way, this list is just a list. I'm sure your local public school system is stellar. Try not to take these things to heart.

The joke about New England was a joke, since I graduated from high school there. You know that and should know me better than now.

I never expected you to start comparing your son's textbooks to CT's.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Hahaha, I did that for my own knowledge of the difference between different state school systems and shared because it came up, not because of anything you said Hik, No worries. I knew about the school text books because of a conversation I had with a cousin in CT last month. And I knew about the grading difference because I saw my sons first report card here in TN. I do however get frustrated when folks say ALL TN schools are behind other regions in other states, as due to all the research I did before I put my kids in TN schools and even when transferring from county to county within TN, I see different results, but anyone can take or leave what I have to say, just sharing my info. I went to New England schools too and think I got a better education there than in FL where I ended up graduating from that is for sure!
Gem, I have not gone through the state to state transfer process since my son started first grade and there were no letter grades given in kindergarten so I didn't know about about the percentage grades verses letter grades, very good to know! So I take it if they are using the percentages verses the letter grade the TN schools are updating the GPA's on the kids transcripts? That is so good to know. I have been concerned about that when it comes time to look at colleges for my son, which is coming up quick..eeeksss. When we were doing the college paperwork for my step son and got his transcripts it just had the GPA and number of college credits completed in high school. I'll have to pull those out again and re look at them. Can you believe that that kid got full scholarships to several schools, including Vandi and won't go??!!! Drives me crazy, but he is happy with his job, so what can ya do?
Gem you also brought up kids being able to take tests where there is less distraction, my son does. He has Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) and even though he is stream lined class rooms now, he used to be in Special Ed, I keep an IEP for him for only two reasons, to take any test in a smaller room (causes less stress for him and he can focus better in a smaller area) and to be able to use a calculator on all Gateway and assessment test as he just can not remember multiplication. It, and just about any other modifications requested, is offered to any child with an IEP which because your son has ADHD, he has the auto right to have the IEP. My son is very happy with the set up and he chooses from test to test if he wants to use the smaller room at a later time to take the test, or take it in the classroom, he has done both. He is now in high school and his classmates have no idea about the set up so it is nothing he is embarrassed about either. I have been VERY impressed with the special education programs in the 2 out of 3 TN school districts my son has been in. All of his assessment test scores have been all at least average scoring and above in English where he is now in advanced English in 10th grade but in 4th grade was in Special Ed for English and Reading, so again, I have been very impressed with the special Ed programs. And yea, I will be a bit biased and give my son a lot of the credit for the advancing, but I do know if he didn't have the in school tools he couldn't have done it on his own.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Mouse,
Here IEP's are discouraged and cancelled as soon as there is any possible way to do it since they lose money on them. It took us almost until mid-year every year to get my son's IEP in place and working. I have finally given up and we just do the best we can. Can you believe it has taken me turning the school into a human rights advocate just to get handicap parking somewhere near the front doors? Like within 400 feet? Unlike the staff that parks right in front.....

Old 10-16-2007, 06:18 PM

I had an IEP for my son, when I was in Mass. They did as little as they could get away with, basically just swept him under the rug. I had no resources to combat it.

So there you have it.

It isn't the state, or even the school system, maybe, but the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee