Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 AM

849 posts, read 2,955,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
You can get a bunch of information at UT extension
The University of Tennessee Extension
If you want more focused help, contact the UT Arboretum in Oak Ridge
The University of Tennessee - Forest Resources Research and Education Center
I've found the UT plant folks (UT is an ag college) to be extremely helpful and very responsive to phone calls and e-mails.
Knox - Is there somewhere online to buy the book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 AM

445 posts, read 1,683,166 times
Default Palmetto

quOTE=Tinman313;1685828]Really their Pimento Bugs.Yes their nasty and the tree is just usless for any thing.........[/quote] Palmetto bugs

Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Get rid of ALL sweet gum. Their roots are HORRIBLE! I saw a Discovery show about how a California home was destroyed by the roots. You can kill the tree but the roots send up shooters and they are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of.

Gem, I didn't know that about the River Birch. That's too bad, the bark is beautiful.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
I have a river birch. I planted it specifically in a low area.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the sweet gum. It's a traditional tree in the south, and while it can get huge and shouldn't be planted too close to a house, it's fine out in a yard somewhere. They've even developed one now that doesn't have the sweet gum balls.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
Knox - Is there somewhere online to buy the book?
Grizz, you may want to call the Tennessee conservation department. They will come out for free, inspect your land, give you a tree density and species report. They are a wealth of information and the state will even send you a packet with a tree identification book, food plots for wildlife, varieties of natives plant species, etc... all for free.

You can join the land stewardship program which I highly recommend and they can assist you in a great many ways to make your property suited to your needs and still remaining a conducive to the local wildlife.

Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation

hope that helps some

Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Depending on a bunch of factors, some trees are extremely valuable as a crop. Some harvesters will cut trees at no charge in exchange for half of the lumber they produce. In some cases people have unknowingly cut up a tree for firewood that was valuable enough as lumber to pay for the fireplace and the wood to fuel it over a season.

In a different state, a neighbor of my brother had his land cleared for pasture and ended up getting $20,000 in addition to his pasture. A lot of of timber in the U.S. is second and third growth and is better being managed than attempting to preserve it like a first growth forest. The extension agents and foresters are important resources to landowners.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Lightbulb Keep the lovely River Birch, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Get rid of ALL sweet gum. Their roots are HORRIBLE! I saw a Discovery show about how a California home was destroyed by the roots. You can kill the tree but the roots send up shooters and they are IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of.

Gem, I didn't know that about the River Birch. That's too bad, the bark is beautiful.
The bark of a River Birch is beautiful, jkmewright. And, their form summer and winter is majestic and graceful. I love them. That is why we have two of them planted in our front yard. But, they are far, far away from our house and septic tank.

Just like you cautioned about the Sweet Gum, they can be beautiful trees, you just have to be discerning when it comes to finding a good spot in your yard. The roots have a life of their own; they are like the energizer bunny. They keep going and going and going!!

Grizzlybear, I agree with the posters who suggested identifying your particular trees first. (I have gotten several great tree books from Amazon.com.) Find out which are keepers and which you are better off without. I hate to cut a tree down, but you don't want to risk your home for the sake of one invasive tree!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM

I am really glad I started this thread as it has been an education. Many excellent responses!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM

TnHilltopper - Thanks for the link. I'll follow up with them tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
TnHilltopper - Thanks for the link. I'll follow up with them tomorrow.
Grizzly, be sure to get back to the forum thread and let us know what trees you have on your property and which are staying and which are going to the saw mill.

I know I am real curious to see the outcome, and you might be able to pass some horticultural wisdom on to all of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee