U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 AM

33 posts, read 128,292 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful place I have found here! Been hoping to find a place where I can ask questions about Tennessee. Our daughter has relocated to Blountville,TN. within the last year. After visiting her twice in her new home and being close to retirement, my wife and I are looking at the relocation concept.
We currently live in NE Pa. and are getting very tired of what is happening here locally. Too many folks from the 'metro hub' relocating here and bringing along with them all their attitudes and problems! We live on the rim of a great looking valley with farms and currently own 3 1/2 acres. It was enough UNTIL folks built a new home almost in my front yard! Ruined our view of the valley and will not even greet you or say a simple 'Hello'! Time to get out!
We are hoping to find a new home in NE Tennessee! We plan on visiting the area as we go forward to 'educate' ourselves in our search, but I am hoping that we can find additional information here. Can I please ask for any advice, suggestions, places to look at, etc. for our upcoming visits?
I have read a little about "South Holston Lake" and "Lake Watauga". They sound wonderful BUT it is looking like property there will be too expensive for us. Hopefully we can find a parcel in the 6 to 15 acre size with a home on it. I have been a general contractor for over 30 years now, so remodeling is not a major issue. Having said that, the less of that I have to do, the more fishing I can look forward to!
Sure would appreciate any comments and or thoughts!
Thanks so much and we look forward to all thoughts. Hope all have a wonderful day!
Snapline
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 12:59 AM

77 posts, read 295,852 times
Hello Snapline-

I was born & raised just outside Pittsburgh.
Spent 25 yrs there, finally went to Fla. for "Bike Week" & I'm still here, 26+ yrs later....

I can understand your frustration about getting crowded out in Pa. I still have family up there. They had a neighbor build 'Right on the property line'.
"0" lot line....... 2 story house. Blocked their view too..

Anyway to your question-
I have a good friend that lives just outside Knoxville, & I've visited several times & I really like it there!!! He LOVES it there!! He's been there 12+yrs now.
w/his Wife & young kids.. He has a nice lil spread & "Peaceful" (so nice)

He & I are both fishermen as well, Sooooooo, we always have plenty to do when I visit. "Sit & Wait on the fish"

Hopefully, others can offer more insightful info for you.

Happy Hunting-
'sleeper'

Last edited by sleeper; 03-31-2006 at 01:06 AM..

Old 03-31-2006, 09:12 AM

Hi Sleeper!
Thanks for posting. Always helpful getting other opinions on moving to Tennessee. Like what I am hearing on the fishing!
Thank you.
Anyone else with info................I sure would appreciate!
Snapline

Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 PM

118 posts, read 449,905 times
Default I too am moving but can't decide where to move.

My wife and I live in Panama City Beach, FL. We are hoping to move up toward Johnson City, TN. We WERE thinking about driving on up toward Mechanicsburg, PA. My wife is from Germany and I was thinking that PA may have more German culture and she would feel more at home but from what yall say and from our experiences with the PA tourists - well, all Yankee and Canadian tourists, we have changed our minds.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:35 AM

You might want to consider lower Pa. Lancaster county is very nice. The weather is much better down there than where I am in the Scranton area. This area of PA. is really the pits as far as weather is concerned. The only folks that really like the weather here are ski folks. In recent years, even they have had issue. Not enough snow, too warm and it melts off and then it gets cold again and I mean real cold. I tell you the weather here is 'nuts'!
As for the 'move-ins', well I am one myself! Moved here from Connecticut in 1980! When I was building my first house I was told by an 'ol-timer'....." I have been here for 23 years and I am still not considered a native". Now this is northern Wayne County stuff! Well I did not understand that then, but I sure do now!
Like I said the Lancaster county and west of it are better than up here in the Scranton area. At least three to four extra weeks of good weather at the end of the summer and the fall and perhaps the 'attitude' of folks would be better. Here there are just too many folks coming in from New Jersey. For me that would be just fine, if they left their attitudes at the state border. Just not sure why folks have to be so unfriendly....Guess it comes from having to 'watch your six' all the time!

Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 AM

12 posts, read 39,062 times
Personally I think Tennessee is the best state in the country to live in, but I am biased because I lived in middle Tn for over 20 years and East TN for 2 years. East Tennessee is the place I think of as home. I had always felt drawn to it and loved living there in Maryville, a job opportunity caused my husband and I to have to relocate to Northern Kentucky and while we do not hate the area, we were spoiled by the area we still call home. I go back to Tennessee every chance I get.
East Tennessee does offer lots of good fishing and there are also some interesting historical things all over the area. If you ever get to Tellico Lake check out the history there. The indian villiage that gave Tennessee it's name was once there.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,682,591 times
Check outside of McMinnville TN - the surrounding areas. We started in the Chattanooga area and made wider and wider circles - staying in Tennessee - until we got to the McMinnville area. Everything clicked! Jobs, housing, etc.

We went for a visit and wound up buying in Bone Cave - a very tiny town (that in all honesty is just one street!) that is on the other side of the road that leads into Rock Island.

Our home is on 7.2 acres, 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, over 2500 square feet under air, in the type of area you are talking about. We have to drive to the nearest neighbors! The closest thing to us are cows and gorgeous views of the mountains from our front and side doors! We picked it up for $91,000. We do have to put some work into it, but the home inspector - who was phenomenal at his job - said he would have no qualms about moving his family in as it sits. It's in pretty good shape. We elected to update the electric and put in central heat and air, just because that is what we are used to. We have to buy appliances as it doesn't come with them. And we are electing to redo all the plumbing as it is the older metal pipes and we prefer PVC. The rest of the home is amazing. I think it is still listed on Homes.com until we close if you want to take a peek. There aren't many pictures of it - maybe just one as a matter of fact. But if you search Bone Cave TN for a 5 or more bedroom, 2 or more bath on over 5 acres of land and click for residential homes only - remove the option for mobile or modular homes as I think there is one listed there - and click the option for under $100,000. It should be the only one to pop up. But if you search the out lying areas of McMinnville you should get plenty hits still for sale. It is the most gorgeous amazing place I have ever seen. Everyone is so friendly - strangers stop to talk and people wave as you drive by. It is really like another world to us after 35 years in Florida!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:39 AM

77 posts, read 295,852 times
One of the explanations as to how Tennesse got its NAME is that it originated from the word "Tanasi", the names of Cherokee villages on the Tennessee River.

SE TN has Nuclear plants, as well as other areas.. I read some disturbing things that had 'warnings' about eating certain fish (only) once a month for safety.
Kinda unsettling..Especially for a fisherman (like me)...

I guess "Catch & Release"

Old 04-13-2006, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 38,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956
My wife and I live in Panama City Beach, FL. We are hoping to move up toward Johnson City, TN. We WERE thinking about driving on up toward Mechanicsburg, PA. My wife is from Germany and I was thinking that PA may have more German culture and she would feel more at home but from what yall say and from our experiences with the PA tourists - well, all Yankee and Canadian tourists, we have changed our minds.
Wow! We are looking to move to Tennessee within the next few weeks too. Really liked Murfreesboro but now I am so hesitant because of what I hear about the tornados.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 22,100 times
I beleive that Tennesse is a great place to move to and relocate your family. My wife and I are moving from south florida and going to live outside of Knoxville in a place called Farragut. I have one more week here in South Florida and I am out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee