U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM

19 posts, read 132,592 times

Advertisements

My family and i are looking to move to TN. We like the area and know that the state doesn't have a state tax. On the down side, we've heard that the sales taxes are very high there. We are looking at NC also but they do have a state tax and not sure what the sales tax is there. Any opinions on what's worse?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,148,568 times
Well...how much is your state income tax (% of your income)?

Sales tax in TN is around 9 or 9.5% (depending on where).

Here in NJ our sales tax is 7% so from my calculations, if state income tax is 2.5% or more here in NJ, then I save money in TN.

And that is assuming that in TN, I spend EVERY dime I make on items taxed at 9.5%. Which is silly.

Keep in mind that:

1. Sales tax is only charged on taxable things you BUY...not every single dime you earn. You don't get charged sales tax on the money you use to pay for, for example, your mortgage. Income tax is charged on every dime you earn, including that mortgage money.

2. Sales tax in TN is graduated on larger items--as the amount increases, the tax decreases (i.e. maybe it's 9.5% only on the first $1,000, then it decreases in percentage.)

Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 AM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Well...how much is your state income tax (% of your income)?

Sales tax in TN is around 9 or 9.5% (depending on where).

Here in NJ our sales tax is 7% so from my calculations, if state income tax is 2.5% or more here in NJ, then I save money in TN.

And that is assuming that in TN, I spend EVERY dime I make on items taxed at 9.5%. Which is silly.

Keep in mind that:

1. Sales tax is only charged on taxable things you BUY...not every single dime you earn. You don't get charged sales tax on the money you use to pay for, for example, your mortgage. Income tax is charged on every dime you earn, including that mortgage money.

2. Sales tax in TN is graduated on larger items--as the amount increases, the tax decreases (i.e. maybe it's 9.5% only on the first $1,000, then it decreases in percentage.)
In addition, the sales tax on groceries is 8%, not 9%.

I would MUCH rather have a sales tax than an income tax. With an income tax, there's absolutely NOTHING you can do to offset it. You can't give yourself a pay raise. Well, unless you're a politician. And with the graduated income tax, sometimes a pay raise actually bumps you into a higher tax bracket meaning your take-home is LESS than it was before the pay "raise."

But with a sales tax, you control how much taxes you pay. If you don't want to pay the sales tax on a $3 loaf of bread, then buy a $2.80 loaf of bread. If you can't afford the sales tax on a $15,000 car, then buy a $14,000 car. In other words, there's almost ALWAYS the option to buy something cheaper, whether it's food, clothes, electronics, or cars. But once they start taxing your income, you're stuck.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,148,568 times
Yup, it gives you an incentive, actually, to do things the old fashioned way--

If you really want to save money, you could buy ingredients for the bread and pay tax on a purchase of 55 cents, and bake the bread yourself.

Or grow the produce yourself. Healthier and much much cheaper--and putting the effort into these things makes them taste better and the work builds character to boot!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 AM

13,149 posts, read 37,688,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Yup, it gives you an incentive, actually, to do things the old fashioned way--

If you really want to save money, you could buy ingredients for the bread and pay tax on a purchase of 55 cents, and bake the bread yourself.

Or grow the produce yourself. Healthier and much much cheaper--and putting the effort into these things makes them taste better and the work builds character to boot!
Ain't it the truth!

Holy cow I'm imagining the aroma of freshly-baked bread. I'm off to visit my brother and his family in NC, and they do bake all their own bread (they even grind their own wheat). Nothing better than a thick slide of hot bread slathered in real butter...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 AM

865 posts, read 1,640,729 times
One other thing, non-residents (tourists) help you pay your taxes. Since people are only there for a short period of time it is really not noticed too much by any individual, but the cumulative effect is that a substansial portion of Tn residents taxes are paid by others.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM

83 posts, read 360,706 times
TN Sales Tax is high but you have to look at the whole tax burden before you can make a judgment.

TN ranks number 48th or 8.5% on State Tax burden and 46th or 28.8% when you include the Federal Tax.

North Caroline ranks number 19th or 11% on State and 24th or 31.2% for all Taxes combined.

Here is a website for current Tax burdens.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens Compared to Other U.S. States, 1970-2007

Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM

415 posts, read 1,454,137 times
In general, the greater your income, the less the impact of a sales tax (vs. an income tax).

Sales tax takes a much greater chunk of a low income family's budget than of a high income family's budget. Rich or poor, we all buy many basic items and hence pay sales tax on them.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,052,515 times
The things we are sure of in life.....death and taxes.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,071,307 times
Sales tax is a regressive tax that puts an unfair burden on the poor, imo.

And don't even get me started on how the poor--the people who buy lottery tickets at a very disproportionate rate--fund the educations of middle and upper class children in TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: