U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 AM

14 posts, read 48,965 times

Advertisements

But we are trying to decide where to move to.... Looking for small town (not too small), low crime rate, a short commute to grocery shopping, a Home Depot and Walmart, small amount of acreage, and friendly people. Any suggestions? Trying to stay east of middle Tennessee as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 05:43 AM

36,315 posts, read 37,010,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Kim View Post
But we are trying to decide where to move to.... Looking for small town (not too small), low crime rate, a short commute to grocery shopping, a Home Depot and Walmart, small amount of acreage, and friendly people. Any suggestions? Trying to stay east of middle Tennessee as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
How are you planning to spend your retirement years? What do you like to do? That will probably help local people with suggestions.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:23 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,549,603 times
Smile rt #27 Area

GC: Seems everything north and south on rt # 27, just west of the Tenn River would be what you asked. Every town is getting their wal-mart Home depot / lowe, if not today then in next few months. Quite a few have been built since last Oct. Dayton is a nice town, West is Dunlap , in the central or SLOW time zone if you phone relatives, etc one hour behind, has 5 acre lots common, horses, etc. Many small towns have their brick stores with some vacant, and some being remodeled, side walks, town festivals, etc. Really pick what house you want, waterfront, or on mtn top BROW views, etc lots of hiking, bicycle trail, atv, etc all over, more clubs than you can join, LOTS of churches for other activities. CRYE-LEIKE seem to be biggest realtor in this area. Get on-lline listings, etc.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,549,603 times
Default Crime ?

Seems local police are very active to lower the rural METH / Theft incidents. This is really a entire America issue, but more rural or more area of high school drop-out rate seems to have theft - pawn shop items issues. If you buy a new ATV do not leave it out in open on the front lawn over night ! Again all across america new construction or home remodel is getting the COPPER plumbing , air cond units stolen for the $ 3 pound salvage value. Again police have LOWERED the amount of over the counter pills / drugs can buy to fight back on the rural meth subject here. New election sheriffs target this and high school issues.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 AM

Smile Retiring and Moving to Tennessee... things to do?

My husband would be interested in golf. I am interested in going back to college, fishing, gardening and other outdoor activities. We both love nature photography and the Mountains. The festivals are of interest to us, as are flea markets, auctions and such. We are leaving Florida due to the nasty weather (Hurricanes), so I have a general fear of BIG tornados (hence staying in eastern Tennessee). We have researched Maryville and Oak Ridge a bit.
Thanks for any input!

Last edited by GC Kim; 10-01-2006 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,796,275 times
GC Kim,

I'm wanting to get out of Texas due to the intense and long summers and have been researching TN, NC, VA, WV. I too am interested in low crime rate as well as low tornado count. I have looked up both of the towns you mentioned and the crime rate is not what I consider low.

There are many good websites that show the rate from 1 to 10 and one of them is Moderator cut: link cut

I'm looking for a "1", Of course, I'm driving myself crazy to find the ideal locale but I won't stop "until I drop."

Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 AM

Default looking for a "1"

Hi Amj,

Good luck finding a "crime-free" (or below "1") location! I am not sure that a truly low crime rate exists anymore, anywhere. That is, short of hiding on the side of a mountain or an island somewhere. I have been doing alot of research (I am a Police Officer in Miami) and just to find cities considerably below the "national average" is a true test in patience. My dad and his family are originally from Knoxville, Tn. The reason we checked into Tennessee, is that it is like Florida, they do not tax your pension / income (aside from federal income taxes) and only 6 states have that.

This web site also has Tennessee (and other states) crime data......
//www.city-data.com
This one has some statistic.....
Moderator cut: link cut
Kim

Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,796,275 times
I actually have found a "1" in Gate City and Weber City, VA and Bakersville, NC as well as Ducktown, TN but Ducktown's sales tax is way too high. Of course, I need to visit the entire area in person anyway. I can see lots on the internet but not enough to make an educated decision.

I totally agree with you.......it won't be easy!!

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:40 PM

36,315 posts, read 37,010,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Kim View Post
My husband would be interested in golf. I am interested in going back to college, fishing, gardening and other outdoor activities. We both love nature photography and the Mountains. The festivals are of interest to us, as are flea markets, auctions and such. We are leaving Florida due to the nasty weather (Hurricanes), so I have a general fear of BIG tornados (hence staying in eastern Tennessee). We have researched Maryville and Oak Ridge a bit.
Thanks for any input!
In two weekends, I'll be able to tell you more about Oak Ridge and share photos but for now:

Golf

There are 3 golf courses in Oak Ridge, 2 are public, one is private. There are links to info about all 3 on this golf page:

http://www.thegolfcourses.net/golfco...N/OakRidge.htm

Festivals

Secret City Festival (annual event, every June) (in Oak Ridge): There is information and photos about last years festival on this page:

http://www.cortn.org/secretcityfestival/about.html (broken link)

On this page of the newspaper are links to photos of past Christmas parades in Oak Ridge and Clinton, the Anderson County Fair, 4th of July and other events.

http://www.oakridger.com/galleries/sections/10/index.shtml (broken link)

Tennessee Fall Homecoming (which I am going to miss by one day ) is 4 days long, every October, at the Museum of Appalachia in Anderson County in Norris Tennessee. It's about 40 - 45 minutes from Oak Ridge:

http://www.museumofappalachia.com/Homecoming.htm (broken link)

Nature Photography

Birdwatching - Oak Ridge is a top location for it. You can download a brochure on it here:

http://oakridgevisitor.com/outdoors.html (broken link)

There is actually a school in Oak Ridge where you can learn to take and process nature photos from a nature photographer and at the Oak Ridge Art Center, you can join the Oak Ridge Camera Club which offers exhibits and classes.

The Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Environmental Research Park offers nature walks to see waterfowl and winter birds near the ponds at East Tennessee Technology Park. They also offer wildflower walks all in the Spring.

Flea Markets

The Art Council in Oak Ridge holds an annual flea market in June. The Humane Society also runs a flea market. But apparently the largest flea market in Tennessee is in a town called Sweetwater on Route US 75 (it's approximately 45 miles from Oak Ridge and it's open every weekend):

http://www.sweetwaterfleamarket.net/

Classes

I'm not sure if you want to take classes or actually go back to college for a degreee but if you are interested in just taking classess, check out the classes at this school in Oak Ridge for retirees (Oak Ridge Institute For Continued Learning). It's affiliated with the State College. It not only offers classes but trips each semester, as well, and it's not expensive:

http://www.discoveret.org/oricl/index.html

Also, the Art Center offers classes:

http://www.oakridgeartcenter.org/

And the Civic Center offers pool exercise classes.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:00 PM

Laura,
Thanks for all the information on Oak Ridge! I will check out the websites you have sent my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee