Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Momma View Post
Please tell me I can live in Tennessee and still have snow! We have decided we want to live in Tennessee but really miss the snow. We are a military family that has been forced to live in places that are snow challenged. We are currently in El Paso Texas and are about to retire. We want rural, mountains,christian and right-wing friendly. We are also partial to flying our American flag year round. Any help you fine people can offer would be greatly appreciated. So far we are lookin' at Mountain City and maybe Gatlinburg for potential white winters. Can't handle snobby people and need acreage. I will be on the edge of my rocker waitin' for a reply.
One more thing....it appears that the Tennessee government is less intrusive than most. Am I way off base here or would that be an accurate statement?
Hi Mountain Momma,
I live in Tri-Cities and there are a lot of American Flags, several large ones the person from Canada was speaking of, flying high and proud over many businesses. There are many in front of homes, yes you might see a rebel flag here and there in the back of a pick up truck as you go down the highway but you will usually see at least a USA flag bumper sticker on that truck too. I am sure you have heard the jokes floating around about ....."if you really want to take care of Al Qita, just send 20 rednecks over there and tell them that Al Qita is against Jesus, Nasscar, offended there mother and hate Americans the problem would be taken care of in less than a week" Well, not far from the truth LOL!! I have met some very patriotic folks here. I consider myself one too...just not the redneck part of that hahahahaha.
I don't know of a single HOA that says you can't fly a flag around here, but then again, there are only a few HOA's, they are usually found only in condo complexes. If you buy your land and home, in most of East TN, you can do what you want with it, there are few "restricted" areas outside of any city.
As far as snow, we do get some, more than most of TN from what I have seen. I know it falls first and stays longest in higher elevation places such as Roan mountain and Mountain City. I personally wish there was more than we get but that is because I grew up in CT and miss the snow drifts I played in as a child and the frozen lake I ice skated on.
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 04:49 PM

11 posts, read 138,431 times
Talking TY Mbmouse

Ty for the reply. Bein' your from Tennessee I like you already. I think I will look in Mountain City and maybe one other place. I figure that will be the best chance we'll have of gettin' a little snow and maybe holding on to it. I have broadened my search to include land now as the improved properties are a bit steep for what I'm lookin' for. I need at least 8 acres ,2000 square feet (min) and at least 3 bedrooms. It appears you need at least $400,000.00 for that.
I too lived in a state for a few years that got a lot of snow and I miss it. I won't mention that state here bein' it's up north lol! Want my kid's to enjoy a white Christmas every once in a while.
I am very happy to hear that the people in your area are patriotic! Seem's a lot of people are ashamed of their own country. You are considered a redneck if you fly the flag! How sad that is to me. I don't want to raise my children around self hatred. I come from a military family that sacrificed a lot for this great country and I am proud to be an American. If that brings the new boogey man label of "politically incorrect" for me so be it! Psst come a little closer....I also love Jesus. Now I've gone and done it! I am definitely a redneck now! LOL! SO BE IT! Look out Tennessee here I come!

Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
LOL!!!
You sound like "my kinda people" Mountain Momma hahahahhaha
And may I ask....Where the heck are you looking for property???? That seems about 200k to high to me for what you just said you are looking for!
Give me a few hours then check your email for some examples...no worries I am not a realtor LOL!

Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
LOL!!!
You sound like "my kinda people" Mountain Momma hahahahhaha
And may I ask....Where the heck are you looking for property???? That seems about 200k to high to me for what you just said you are looking for!
Give me a few hours then check your email for some examples...no worries I am not a realtor LOL!
TY Sweetie, I'll keep an eye out!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
I am very happy to hear that the people in your area are patriotic! Seem's a lot of people are ashamed of their own country. You are considered a redneck if you fly the flag!
I never would have dreamt anywhere in Texas could be like that. (El Paso?)

Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I never would have dreamt anywhere in Texas could be like that. (El Paso?)
El paso is 90 something percent hispanic so most are from Mexico so I only see flags on soldiers houses or retiree's. On our posts everyone fly's the flag but we always live off post so we stick out like a sore thumb.
People won't admit it but I will tell you why they don't fly the flag as much anymore. We are afraid now as American's to offend someone. Seem's everthing you do might offend someone and in this case I presume it is people from other countries that live or visit feel threatened by patriotic people. You can thank the ACLU and the court systems for that beloved boogey man term,"Politically Correct". It has been a gradual and most of the time subtle removing of freedoms of the majority to protect the minority. I think most people didn't even notice the slight changes here and there and are now part of the PC crowd. Read the book "Animal Farm". That is what is happening to America.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
El paso is 90 something percent hispanic so most are from Mexico so I only see flags on soldiers houses or retiree's. On our posts everyone fly's the flag but we always live off post so we stick out like a sore thumb.
People won't admit it but I will tell you why they don't fly the flag as much anymore. We are afraid now as American's to offend someone. Seem's everthing you do might offend someone and in this case I presume it is people from other countries that live or visit feel threatened by patriotic people. You can thank the ACLU and the court systems for that beloved boogey man term,"Politically Correct". It has been a gradual and most of the time subtle removing of freedoms of the majority to protect the minority. I think most people didn't even notice the slight changes here and there and are now part of the PC crowd. Read the book "Animal Farm". That is what is happening to America.
I suppose I was introduced to American culture from tv shows like Dukes of Hazzard and Superman as a kid. I remember one of the most undesirable terms Waylon Jennings might describe a character as "un-American." I suppose perhaps they didn't have anything to worry about since I watched some of the re-runs and heard some shows they kidded about women's lib issues. I imagine it didn't really offend anyone at the time. From these shows, through my 4 yr old eyes, it seemed that America had patriots, "super-patriots" and weird people. (and all of whom seemed to be welcome or accepted I might add) I know it was all acting, but at the same time it also was charming, especially since we're so unpatriotic were I grew up that I never heard of a country called Canada until after the first few year or two of life that I could remember. I also don't really understand how it's possible for someone to seem threatening based purely on expresions of patriotism.

Sometime I'll check out Animal Farm. Is it an older novel?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-04-2006 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,551 times
Cool Looking for home...

I, like Mountain Momma am looking for a place to live, after the military. After nearly 27 years as a Marine, and the son of a career Marine, I've fought many hard battles, on and off the Battle Field. I am looking for peace, property, a morally forthright community, and AMERICANS who are proud to clam that title as much as Marines are proud of theirs! I have looked mostly in west-North Carolina, but I'm shifting gears toward east Tennessee. I want 10 to 30 acres, with or without a house on it. I don't want to spend my life savings on getting it (250 G) and would like to be somewhat near military facilities. I have small kids who need to be in a place that we can feel the presents of God, patriotism, and values, without too much of a spin on acceptance of every little unusual idiosyncrasy people have or believe is o.k. I live in America, and think that we should be able to live as we want and believe as we want, just don't try to make me do it too, unless I want to of course. Sorry, Marines are a bit direct and to the point! Once a Marine, Always a Marine. My mother has flown the American and Marine Corps flags on a 20 foot pole, over her home for nearly fifty years, and I plan to keep the tradition going! Please give me some input on the west-Tennessee areas that have the things I'm looking for. Still is Southern California (Blaaa) going to school for my bachelors in business management, for now!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMARINE View Post
I, like Mountain Momma am looking for a place to live, after the military. After nearly 27 years as a Marine, and the son of a career Marine, I've fought many hard battles, on and off the Battle Field. I am looking for peace, property, a morally forthright community, and AMERICANS who are proud to clam that title as much as Marines are proud of theirs! I have looked mostly in west-North Carolina, but I'm shifting gears toward east Tennessee. I want 10 to 30 acres, with or without a house on it. I don't want to spend my life savings on getting it (250 G) and would like to be somewhat near military facilities. I have small kids who need to be in a place that we can feel the presents of God, patriotism, and values, without too much of a spin on acceptance of every little unusual idiosyncrasy people have or believe is o.k. I live in America, and think that we should be able to live as we want and believe as we want, just don't try to make me do it too, unless I want to of course. Sorry, Marines are a bit direct and to the point! Once a Marine, Always a Marine. My mother has flown the American and Marine Corps flags on a 20 foot pole, over her home for nearly fifty years, and I plan to keep the tradition going! Please give me some input on the west-Tennessee areas that have the things I'm looking for. Still is Southern California (Blaaa) going to school for my bachelors in business management, for now!
Are you retiring, or still working?

I assume that the part about " . . . some imput on the west-Tennessee areas . . . " is a typos and you actually meant east Tennessee.

My only comment is if you decide to look even further west in Middle Tennessee, you might look at the areas northwest of Clarksville. Clarksville is home of the 101st Airborne. This assumes you are retiring. There's lot of outdoor activities in that area (Kentucky Lake, Barkley Lake, Land Between the Lakes, Paris Landing State Park), while still being relatively close to Ft. Campbell. Just a thought.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Quote:
I am very happy to hear that the people in your area are patriotic! Seem's a lot of people are ashamed of their own country. You are considered a redneck if you fly the flag! How sad that is to me. I don't want to raise my children around self hatred. I come from a military family that sacrificed a lot for this great country and I am proud to be an American. If that brings the new boogey man label of "politically incorrect" for me so be it! Psst come a little closer....I also love Jesus.
Mountain Momma, I guess then that makes me a non-politically correct patriotic Christian redneck! But, most people do (and proudly are) in this neck of the woods of Pennsylvania.

I even flew my American Flag when I lived in Quebec and Ottawa Canada, alongside my fiance's Canadian Flag.

I know I'll miss the snow, too, but I'll love Tennessee when we get there! I try to refrain from looking too much, but every few weeks, I'll get back on the real estate sites, and I'll find another 'dream home', and email it to my hubby. I found 2 yesterday. Most likely, they'll be sold by the time we get there, but that's ok - seems the real estate rush is levelling off, and getting back to normal, with a few burps here and there. I see a few ads offering 1 acre plots at $60 and $70k, and just laugh. Maybe a few fools will buy and think it's a bargain, but ain't no way I'd pay that over inflated price. If it's under $10k, then I'll consider it.

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee