U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM

665 posts, read 1,857,904 times

Advertisements

PLEASE, PLEASE dont miunderstand what I am going to ask, I am just curious,When I moved here I see alot of dogs are allowed to roam free, which is fine for me as long as they are friendly,but the sad part for me was today I saw a beautiful dog dead by the side of a highway, new collar too. I am NOT saying the dogs owner just let him loose.But the doggies I do see, I wonder dont the owners worry about the dogs and cars?I see them laying in the road just relaxing.Or maybe folks here are use to watching for them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM

6,289 posts, read 22,329,267 times
People do that. It used to be that almost everyone out in the country let their dogs run free but kind of made sure they didn't get into any kind of trouble (such as chasing farm animals). There generally wasn't as much traffic back then either, although a dog would occasionally get hit by a car.

Now I think it's something else, more like an attitude that it's okay if MY dog runs free. I see dogs running free in my neighborhood even though there's a leash law, and with there being a heavily traveled road nearby. Personally, I won't even let my kitty cat outside without me kind of knowing where she is.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:01 PM

7,279 posts, read 20,457,374 times
I hate to hear about the dead dog. I think it depends on the dog. I had a dog that I never had on a leash and we never had a fenced yard, we moved 4 times in the 12 years we had her, she just stayed around. Once in a while she would go visit a few of the neighbors but she new which ones allowed her in their yard, kept treats for her and liked visiting with her in return. She passed from natural causes (old). My parents dog, same thing, she just stays around the house on her own. Our new dog however has not yet proven to us that she understands the boundaries and we can't be sure she will not go in the road so we stay with her when she is outside. But unless we go womwhere in the car and it is a strange place, we don't use a leash.
Phyll, you are out in Bean Station, just about everyone knows each other and their family's and that usually means the pets too. There is also a lot of farm land. If I had 10 acres or so, my dogs would have free reign of it too. Unless a neighbor said something about it, I believe they just let the dogs be dogs. Not saying it is right, just kinda the way it is in farm areas. I wish more people would train their dogs to stay away from the road though and if they can't learn that, fence them in. I do however hate to see a dog tied to a tree all of their life.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 PM

4,725 posts, read 9,777,927 times
Wink Dogs need room to roam.

I feel the same way, mbmouse, about a dog tied to a tree. I don't understand why people would even own a dog if it is just going to be chained up all the time rather than being a part of the family.

Dogs are naturally pack animals and very sociable. I think that our little Cocker would just wither and die if she couldn't be with us every minute. I think I would wither away myself if she wasn't with us every minute!

The only time that our dog is unleashed outside is when we are in the fenced backyard with her - never the front, however. Have you ever seen a Cocker Spaniel frenzy when a squirrel dares to put its paws on her grass!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I feel the same way, mbmouse, about a dog tied to a tree. I don't understand why people would even own a dog if it is just going to be chained up all the time rather than being a part of the family.

Dogs are naturally pack animals and very sociable. I think that our little Cocker would just wither and die if she couldn't be with us every minute. I think I would wither away myself if she wasn't with us every minute!

The only time that our dog is unleashed outside is when we are in the fenced backyard with her - never the front, however. Have you ever seen a Cocker Spaniel frenzy when a squirrel dares to put its paws on her grass!
LOL! Yes, we had a Cocker so I know exactly what you mean, we couldn't let him off the leash. It all depends on the dog, my Rhodesian, never leash would stop when we told her to no matter WHAT she was after.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,059,301 times
Our Lab doesn't go near the road at all. The puppy on the other hand, has no clue. We cannot let her loose no matter what. Our street is too busy. I do keep her on a run outside for a while each day so she can get some exercise. The cable she is on is 30 ft long, plus I go and play hard with her. Hoping one day she will get some "street smarts", as I hate having a dog that cannot be off lead in the yard. Our next home will have a fenced yard for them.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 AM

665 posts, read 1,857,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I hate to hear about the dead dog. I think it depends on the dog. I had a dog that I never had on a leash and we never had a fenced yard, we moved 4 times in the 12 years we had her, she just stayed around. Once in a while she would go visit a few of the neighbors but she new which ones allowed her in their yard, kept treats for her and liked visiting with her in return. She passed from natural causes (old). My parents dog, same thing, she just stays around the house on her own. Our new dog however has not yet proven to us that she understands the boundaries and we can't be sure she will not go in the road so we stay with her when she is outside. But unless we go womwhere in the car and it is a strange place, we don't use a leash.
Phyll, you are out in Bean Station, just about everyone knows each other and their family's and that usually means the pets too. There is also a lot of farm land. If I had 10 acres or so, my dogs would have free reign of it too. Unless a neighbor said something about it, I believe they just let the dogs be dogs. Not saying it is right, just kinda the way it is in farm areas. I wish more people would train their dogs to stay away from the road though and if they can't learn that, fence them in. I do however hate to see a dog tied to a tree all of their life.
Oh, I hope you dont think I mind the dogs at all in fact my grandaughter LOVES to pet them, and they are friendly so we let her, she LOVES this dog "ANNIE".My only concern was the dogs getting hit by cars,I am sorry this is one thing that is new to me,it makes sense about being it farmland and dogs free. My dog has a large fenced yard, she isnt trained to run on the roads, but we dont tie her to anything,from the yard she had to the yard she has now, she loves to run it. I cant see dogs tied up like that either,why get them?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 AM

No Phyll, I didn't think you said you minded the dogs. I do understand, there are people who get dogs who just don' care and that is sad. However there are those of us who do care and train/treat dogs properly. I hope that a "crack down" on leash laws and such does not happen in the more rural areas. I know that sounds strange but the way I see it, that would punish well trained dogs and good dog owners who believe dogs have the right to run free and not be tied up or caged. I would just hate to see responsible pet owners get curtailed because of callous pet owners.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM

6,289 posts, read 22,329,267 times
Out on Murfreesboro Road there's a problem with loose women . . .

Oh. Maybe it's not the same thing. Never mind.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM

37,119 posts, read 38,767,374 times
I don't have a dog so pardon my ignorance but what about those invisible things you can have to keep the dog on your property so you don't need a fence? Anyone know what I'm talking about? My boss had this for his dog but I don't recall how it worked. It set up some kind of invisible perimeter on his property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee