U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,266 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I'm currently trying to find a good area located between Texas/Indiana in Tennessee that my wife and I can settle down in after the Air Force. I want a rural/semi-rural area where a few acres are affordable, cost of living is lower than average, and the scenery is made up of hills or mountains. Any recommendations for a science teacher-to-be?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 19,734,339 times
Default Hello airmantoteacher!

First welcome to the forum. Second, thanks for your service to our country.
Now, on to your questions. So far you have described many, many places in TN. Can you give us some more info on what specifics you are looking for in a new TN home town? I would say if you are planing to be traveling by car to either TX or IN you would want to be close proximity to both I-40 and I-75, that would put you closer to Knoxville. If you want to fly to those places for reasonable prices, that would put you closer to Nashville. However you said small town, which neither of those are. Maybe somewhere in between like Crossville or Cookeville? Again I would say you would need to give us a bit more info as to what you are looking for to get better suggestions.
Hope that helps some.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:25 AM

6,289 posts, read 21,616,333 times
I'm going to beat JMT to a reply and suggest an area near Cookeville.

(Take that, JMT! ;-)

Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
First welcome to the forum. Second, thanks for your service to our country.
Now, on to your questions. So far you have described many, many places in TN. Can you give us some more info on what specifics you are looking for in a new TN home town? I would say if you are planing to be traveling by car to either TX or IN you would want to be close proximity to both I-40 and I-75, that would put you closer to Knoxville.

However you said small town, which neither of those are. Maybe somewhere in between like Crossville or Cookeville? Again I would say you would need to give us a bit more info as to what you are looking for to get better suggestions.
Hope that helps some.
Wow, didn't expect a response so fast! I will be driving to both states due to family (and the fact I don't want to live in either of them!) Currently reside in an area where the drive to a good mall is about an hour and a half . We are ok with that. Decent school districts with job availability would be a plus.

I'm just now starting to look at Tennessee. We won't be out for another two years, but I figured you can't start researching too early! We really just want a great place to raise a family with some leg room/decent scenery on an income of around 60-80k a year. We're both from large cities (Dallas/Indianapolis) and we absolutely don't want to go back to that.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,132,523 times
Take a look at Rutledge, TN, the county seat for Grainger County.
Visitors Guide to Grainger County Tennessee
It's right on Hwy. 11W (the W is important) in the Clinch River valley. It's a small town but not too small. There's decent shopping and services, several doctors, a couple of small car dealerships, even a Hardees, all on Main Street. There's a big high school-Middle School-Elementary complex and a new comprehensive school being built near there.
Gorgeous scenery around there. It's nestled against a mountain and sort of on a ridge. Some wonderful older houses that have been restored and some that could use it.
I actually looked into moving out there but decided it was too far from Knoxville. It's about an hour drive to West Knoxville and the malls.
It's very military friendly. They've had parades for locals returning from Iraq, lots of yellow ribbons around and welcome home messages on signboards.
It's got a real nice small town feel to it. There's even an old guy who sits in front of the courthouse in good weather and waves to cars that drive by. He hadn't been there the last few times I drove through and I was worried about him. I was glad to see him back when I was out that way yesterday.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 PM

22,576 posts, read 49,688,301 times
Yes, we are speedy!

The middle of Texas and Indiana is Memphis. Not hilly or mountainous.

Isn't there some air force base near Nashville? Is it Clarksville? Alleycat?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 PM

7,280 posts, read 19,734,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmantoteacher View Post
Wow, didn't expect a response so fast! I will be driving to both states due to family (and the fact I don't want to live in either of them!) Currently reside in an area where the drive to a good mall is about an hour and a half . We are ok with that. Decent school districts with job availability would be a plus.

I'm just now starting to look at Tennessee. We won't be out for another two years, but I figured you can't start researching too early! We really just want a great place to raise a family with some leg room/decent scenery on an income of around 60-80k a year. We're both from large cities (Dallas/Indianapolis) and we absolutely don't want to go back to that.
Were a happy helpful bunch here, quick too hahahahha.
Well, the only flag I see is the 60K to 80k a year. Are you saying as a combined, two income, one being as a teacher? That I believe is doable, but if you are looking for a new teacher starting out at 60K and being in a more rural area, that maybe a huge hurdle for you.
If you want a lot of info in one spot that is fun to read too, go through all the threads and posts here on the TN forum, LOTS of great info about many, many TN towns.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:55 PM

12,603 posts, read 35,184,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmantoteacher View Post

Does alleycat know me well or what?

Anyway, airmantoteacher, I can definitely understand why you'd pick Tennessee. It is a beautiful state with some mighty nice people and a very favorable tax structure.

In the post above, you said you want decent school districts with job availability. Does that mean job availability in the school districts? Or will you be looking for non-school jobs and also want good schools for your kids? If that's the case, what kinds of jobs will you be looking for?

As mbmouse pointed out, wages in Tennessee tend to be lower than elsewhere, which is one of the reasons the cost of living is also so much lower. But there are nonetheless plenty of people in Tennessee, even in small towns, who make a very good living.

As hiknapster said, West Tennessee would certainly be more half-way to Indiana and Texas, but if you've been reading this forum for very long you'll see that hardly anyone in here is talking about moving to West Tennessee. There's nothing inherently wrong with West Tennessee, it just doesn't have the mountainous terrain of the eastern part of the state, and East Tennessee towns are the ones with stronger economies and, some would say, more pleasant weather (not nearly as hut and muggy and not nearly as many tornadoes).

As alleycat graciously pointed out, I'm a huge fan of Cookeville. It's only an hour from the Nashville airport (which has the cheapest air fares of any airport in Tennessee thanks to Southwest Airlines which has a hub there), it's a university town so it has excellent schools, and it's the hub of the 14-county Upper Cumberland region, meaning even though there are fewer than 30,000 in the city it has the shopping and restaurants of a town twice as big.

It's also in the middle of a region blessed with some amazing natural beauty: something like 7 state parks are within a half hour or so of Cookeville, as well as a half-dozen or so waterfalls, deep gorges, rolling hills, and three large lakes: Dale Hollow, Center Hill, and Cordell Hull.

There's also a large VA clinic in Cookeville if you need to be near something like that.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Take a look at Rutledge, TN, the county seat for Grainger County.

It's very military friendly. They've had parades for locals returning from Iraq, lots of yellow ribbons around and welcome home messages on signboards.
It's got a real nice small town feel to it. There's even an old guy who sits in front of the courthouse in good weather and waves to cars that drive by. He hadn't been there the last few times I drove through and I was worried about him. I was glad to see him back when I was out that way yesterday.
I'll check it! Military friendly and even an old guy out by the court house? That's great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse
Were a happy helpful bunch here, quick too hahahahha.
Well, the only flag I see is the 60K to 80k a year. Are you saying as a combined, two income, one being as a teacher? That I believe is doable, but if you are looking for a new teacher starting out at 60K and being in a more rural area, that maybe a huge hurdle for you.
Yes, that would be a combined income. Sad as teacher's pay is in this country, it will be a nice jump up from what I'm getting paid now! I just hope the districts in TN don't mind a mid 20s, prior Air Force, Texan teaching middle school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse
If you want a lot of info in one spot that is fun to read too, go through all the threads and posts here on the TN forum, LOTS of great info about many, many TN towns.
I think I spent a good hour and a half going through threads the other day. Lots of great information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
In the post above, you said you want decent school districts with job availability. Does that mean job availability in the school districts? Or will you be looking for non-school jobs and also want good schools for your kids? If that's the case, what kinds of jobs will you be looking for?
I meant job availability in the school districts. I'll be a qualified 5-9 science teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
As mbmouse pointed out, wages in Tennessee tend to be lower than elsewhere, which is one of the reasons the cost of living is also so much lower. But there are nonetheless plenty of people in Tennessee, even in small towns, who make a very good living.
Low wages are fine. As long as I am happy where I am living and my job, that is all that matters. Right now, I hate my pay, job AND where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
As alleycat graciously pointed out, I'm a huge fan of Cookeville. It's only an hour from the Nashville airport (which has the cheapest air fares of any airport in Tennessee thanks to Southwest Airlines which has a hub there), it's a university town so it has excellent schools, and it's the hub of the 14-county Upper Cumberland region, meaning even though there are fewer than 30,000 in the city it has the shopping and restaurants of a town twice as big.

It's also in the middle of a region blessed with some amazing natural beauty: something like 7 state parks are within a half hour or so of Cookeville, as well as a half-dozen or so waterfalls, deep gorges, rolling hills, and three large lakes: Dale Hollow, Center Hill, and Cordell Hull.
Wow, sounds pretty dang great! I'll add it to the list of places. I'd want to be a good distance away from the university, but in driving distance for the amenities offered there.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:02 AM

71 posts, read 57,044 times
Yes to Cookeville/Crossville area...it's so beautiful.

Northwest and west of Nashville there is a great range of hills that is gorgeous, you can see it if you look at a Topo. map, but I like Dickson and White bluff area then it sort of goes north from there.

I can't really say which would be a better deal, likely Cookeville, but Cookeville will add an hour to your drive to both IN and TX....if it's much cheaper I'd say that is worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee