Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM

192 posts, read 348,469 times

Advertisements

I am moving to tennessee in 2 months. I am from cali and would be interested to know your opinions when you get there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Trade off is that Kentucky has a state income tax, and often has municipal income taxes on top of that. I can promise you, you'll pay far more in income tax than you ever will in sales tax.
I totally agree. We used to live in KY. Almost half of our income went to taxes...so we moved to TN where those municipal income taxes turned into outright CASH in our pockets!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama192 View Post
I am moving to tennessee in 2 months. I am from cali and would be interested to know your opinions when you get there
TN is a good place. If you are looking at moving to Nashville, don't stay in Antioch. It's the worst part of town...Lots of crimes and crazy people.

NORTH - Hendersonville, Goodlettsville, Gallatin, Greenbrier, etc.... Hendersonville is good, but TRAFFIC is bad and the condition of the interstate is VERY DANGEROUS to drive. Nobody knows when will the construction end. If you leave at 5pm to go home to Hendersonville, you would be stuck on the road for almost 45minutes. Place is nice, but we hated the drive going north. We found some nice houses there but we didn't like the traffic.

SOUTH -- Brentwood, Franklin, Nolensville and Spring Hill are nice places. They are in Williamson County, the richest county in TN and #8 richest in the entire US. Schools are ranked #1 in the system. I do not like Franklin personally because it is overrated. Downtown looks pretty but houses are overpriced. There are dumpy parts too -- trailer parks and houses that look like they're stacked on top of another. I don't like Nolensville because it is beside Antioch. Spring Hill is nice but would be a lot of drive going to Nashville. Brentwood is the BEST place to live...but if you can't pay for a $400,000 mortgage, don't move there.

WEST -- Pegram, Kingston Springs (Cheatham County), Dickson and Fairview. We like the drive because there's not much traffic. Fairview is still part of Williamson County -- a little country-ish but you can get a nice house and lot of land for the same amount of money as you would be spending for the other parts of Nashville... House prices range from $140,000 to $350,000... at $250,000 you can get a house with lots of land (more than 1 acre).

EAST -- Mt. Juliet, Lebanon..... I don't have much info because we don't go to that direction often.

If you're looking to buy a house, do NOT BUY in DAVIDSON county. The real estate taxes are almost twice as much as the other counties. If you are looking for an apartment, do not be deceived by the representations of the leasing managers. Go to Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. and you will find a lot of credible testimonies from tenants.

Nashville has a lot of cheap apartments, so-so apartments, luxury apartments and apartments that say they are luxury-type but fall short of their marketing representations. My spouse and I rented a 2BD/2BA apartment for $1300, and we felt we should've rented a house instead. At that price, you can rent a nice house already (go to RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder to see the houses for rent). It's our bad we didn't have a lot of time to look around before moving. So, make the most out of your time!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee