Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,773 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me their experiences and cell coverage in Rugby TN?
We are looking to rent there about a year. Time to unplug for a while, although I still have my BS to complete while my husband looks for work in the Knoxville area.
So it is important that we can have internet and good cell coverage.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM

36,076 posts, read 30,572,748 times
Im not sure you will get any responses from locals in that area. Most areas have a variety of cell coverage. Most ppl have verizon. Personally as far as Im concerned verizon can stick it where the sun dont shine. Im using straight talk $30/mo for 1000 min and 1000 text. I havent had any reception problems. Often reception is lost in the valleys during the summer. If your not in a hole you shouldnt have any trouble. As far as internet you will need to do an internet search for the location and see who the providers are. Often the phone service in the area will offer internet service. There are also cable companies, but I had trouble finding an affordable one in my area so I went with frontieer. Internet may be a little slow in more rural areas.

Curious why Rugby?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM

We are looking to re-fresh, and found a cute cottage for rent in the area. My husband is looking for work in the Knoxville area in general. He just finished his MBA and is looking to spend quality time with the kids, swimming, hiking, exploring.
We also like that there is no fast food temptations, we are working on our health and think that this cute town (we are of British heritage) is a good place to relax before moving onto the next phase of our lives.
We currently have a drive to the big city so that wont be a big change...
I'm sure it will still be an adjustment, but hoping it all pans out.
Any tips or advice on the area?
Not from the south, but have family in Powell, and spent a month there a year ago and felt that TN was a good fit for us for many reasons.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM

4,874 posts, read 4,990,736 times
I have no idea about cell or internet for that area, but it is pretty far out there. The drive to Knoxville, to me, looks like something I wouldn't want to do. Close to The Big South Fork Park that should provide everything that you and your husband will want to do with your children.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times
There is no way that most people would spend three hours to commute, every day. Working in the DC area, for instance, and having to move far enough away to find affordable housing makes sense. A commute from Rugby to Knoxville doesn't. There are plenty of quiet, charming areas in the Knoxville metro area without resorting to that.

If your husband is looking to spend quality time with the family then this isn't the way to go about it. Quite frankly, locals that hear of that commute would be stunned. Driving from say, Harriman to Knoxville every day is looked upon with sympathy. I can't even imagine the feedback you'd hear about that drive! Bear in mind that you can be in rural territory about 10 or 15 minutes from downtown Knoxville. Also, very, very rural places like Rugby have a very different vibe than you may expect.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks guys!
Yeah this is not a permanent placement by any means a 6-12 month lease, it takes a good 4-6 months to go through the hiring process. Most likely he'll do weekly hotel stays until we rent or buy a new place.
We intend to buy a home in a small town with some acreage outside of Knoxville (pending employment there)or wherever we end up.
But until then while surviving on unemployment, the cottage in a small town is appealing. Providing internet is available (I'm still a student)

Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,775,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There is no way that most people would spend three hours to commute, every day. Working in the DC area, for instance, and having to move far enough away to find affordable housing makes sense. A commute from Rugby to Knoxville doesn't. There are plenty of quiet, charming areas in the Knoxville metro area without resorting to that.

If your husband is looking to spend quality time with the family then this isn't the way to go about it. Quite frankly, locals that hear of that commute would be stunned. Driving from say, Harriman to Knoxville every day is looked upon with sympathy. I can't even imagine the feedback you'd hear about that drive! Bear in mind that you can be in rural territory about 10 or 15 minutes from downtown Knoxville. Also, very, very rural places like Rugby have a very different vibe than you may expect.
I agree, a commute from Rugby to Knoxville would be ridiculous.

However, the geniuses at the Office of Budget and Management in Washington just added Morgan County to Knoxville's MSA, and since Rugby is in Morgan County (well, most of Rugby), that means Rugby is now part of Knoxville's metropolitan area. In order to be part of Knoxville's MSA, 25% of Morgan County's workforce has to commute to the Knoxville area for work. I'm assuming most of those don't drive all the way in to Knoxville but rather work in Anderson County (Oak Ridge). Still, that's a crazy commute, at least it would be for me.

But back to the OP's question: I have AT&T cell service, and every time I go to Rugby/Big South Fork I lose reception. I've heard that people with Verizon don't have reception issues around there.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM

16 posts, read 50,259 times
We drive through Rugby a couple of times a year.
The only cell coverage in the area is Verizon.
Most of the towns in the area get internet through Twin Lakes Telephone Co-Op but I'm not sure if Rugby is included.

The preferred route to commute to Knoxville would be
Rte. 52 East
Rte.27 North
Rte.63 East
Rte.75 South.

The Rte. 52 portion of your commute would be very slow, over winding mountainous road.
Your commute time would be approx. 75 minutes assuming good weather.

There are no stores of any kind in Rugby with the exception of a tourist gift shop. Shopping for basics like food and clothing would be in Huntsville (30 minutes East) or Jamestown (20 minutes West).

Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 AM

Just curious, what you mean by the vibe of small town? I'm sure we'll be considered outsiders We are Canadian and have lived on the west coast and in the midwest for about 10 years now...still have that Canadian accent eh?

Currently we drive about 25 mins for groceries now.

*We do not plan on commuting 1 hour +, I agree that is ridiculous! We have family my hubby can stay at in the Koxeville area too if work is found during the week...
Fingers crossed work is found quickly, but we know it takes time, so until then we want to spend less and stay low-key, vacation like for the time.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,315,736 times
I can tell you for a fact that cell coverage is lacking from AT&T in the area of Rugby TN. Other carriers, I can not speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee