Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times

Advertisements

The grocery stores aren't going to sell liquor...only beer/wine. I've lived places where you could buy wine in the grocery stores and the selection is usually limited. But that's ok...you can still go to the liquor stores for the hard to find stuff. This is just about competition/convenience....and maybe a few liquor stores may go out of business (but I doubt it...I've never seen one go out of business due to lack of sales). This is just common sense to me. It boils down to liquor lobbies telling the voter/consumer what's best for them. Sorry..but I'm intelligent enough to make decisions in my own best interest. I know there's a slim chance of passing...but I'll keep hope alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Government regulation of this sort doesn't help. It doesn't make anything better or benefit anyone. Except for the liquor store owners who don't want competition.

It's so weird to see the people who claim to hate government regulation and love small government suddenly love government regulation and big government when it comes to the alcohol issue.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Government regulation of this sort doesn't help. It doesn't make anything better or benefit anyone. Except for the liquor store owners who don't want competition.

It's so weird to see the people who claim to hate government regulation and love small government suddenly love government regulation and big government when it comes to the alcohol issue.

People don't like change, its the nature of the beast.

Watching the news last night they were interviewing a woman from Michigan who didn't understand the restriction. They sold liquor in the stores there.

I liked the way Florida does it. Have a separate liquor store built into the front of the grocery. You can't walk from inside to the other. Leave the building then walk back in the other entrance. I still went to strictly liquor stores because of the variety if liquor in them, I like good bourbon.

Tennessee is changing mainly because of the outside folks moving here, and the natives always resist change.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 AM

I never thought Michigan had anything on TN until now.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Liquor stores are still closed on Sundays there?
Guess when I move there ill be stocking up Saturday

Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I never thought Michigan had anything on TN until now.

I dont have the stats to link to here but I believe the states of the upper midwest have more of an alcohol problem then the rest of the nation does. Drinking is very common up there, and they joke up there about all the small towns having "more bars than churches". Looking at some of the conditions up in Michigan in general we do not want to copy the laws up there. There is a reason people are leaving that state at a higher rate than any state in the union. I am not saying wine in grocery stores is a bad thing, (wine and beer are ok IMO) but we dont want liquor sold everywhere either.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I dont have the stats to link to here but I believe the states of the upper midwest have more of an alcohol problem then the rest of the nation does. Drinking is very common up there, and they joke up there about all the small towns having "more bars than churches". Looking at some of the conditions up in Michigan in general we do not want to copy the laws up there. There is a reason people are leaving that state at a higher rate than any state in the union. I am not saying wine in grocery stores is a bad thing, (wine and beer are ok IMO) but we dont want liquor sold everywhere either.
What does it matter where it is sold? It doesn't matter where it when, people have access and they'll drink, selling alcohol more places doesn't mean people will drink more.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
People don't like change, its the nature of the beast.

Watching the news last night they were interviewing a woman from Michigan who didn't understand the restriction. They sold liquor in the stores there.

I liked the way Florida does it. Have a separate liquor store built into the front of the grocery. You can't walk from inside to the other. Leave the building then walk back in the other entrance. I still went to strictly liquor stores because of the variety if liquor in them, I like good bourbon.

Tennessee is changing mainly because of the outside folks moving here, and the natives always resist change.
I agree. People HATE change. Until they get use to it, then they don't want to change THOSE rules. And so it goes...

Florida has wine in their grocery stores. But yes, they have liquor stores in a separate store, even a separate store adjacent to some drug stores. They even have liquor stores adjacent to bars, like the famous ABC liquor stores.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I think the hurt on small businesses with this issue is overstated...at least in most areas.

I think it could hurt liquor stores in smaller towns where they don't have as much selection, and one supermarket carrying wine could really hurt them. I don't think that will be the case in the cities, though, where liquor stores tend to pride themselves on the variety they have. I've been to a number of places that sell wine in grocery stores. Some do have a sizable selection, but it is generally the less expensive varieties of wine. They're not going to be selling the high dollar stuff, because it will be a waste of shelf space. One parallel would be to look at beer stores (which are often connected to or even operated by neighboring liquor stores). Because of state law, these beer stores must only carry beer under 6.3% (I think that's the number) ABV. That level of beer is certainly available in grocery stores. And usually, among the cheaper brews, it's less expensive there, too. So how do these beer stores make it? They sell a greater variety of beer...beers that are too expensive or too 'obscure' to carry at most Krogers. Now as I said...in a small town, where such a variety may not be available or as in demand, it could have a bigger impact.

My proposal:
Change the law from a stupid alcohol percentage being the barrier to categorizing beverages by type. Grocery stores/supermarkets should be able to sell all beer and wine, regardless of %ABV. 'Liquor stores' should be able to sell all alcoholic products, period. Beer (including low alcohol beer), wine, and spirits, as well as mixers, snacks, and glassware (wine glasses, shot glasses, beer mugs, brandy snifters, etc). And make them able to sell tobacco products, too (beer stores generally specialize in cigars on the side). Hell, call em Sin Stores. I don't care.

This will not affect dry counties. This will not affect when alcohol can be bought (state law says 8am-3 am, I believe...most places are more restrictive than that). However, get rid of the blue laws that don't allow it to be sold on Sundays. You can order a glass of whine, or a mixed drink at a restaurant or bar on a Sunday, but you can't buy it at a store to take home. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM

I just read that it passed Senate committee.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ery-store-bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee