U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Questions for those who moved to Tennessee, reasons for moving, Tennessee recommendation to others, good or bad surprises, quality of life better or worse, relocation issues

 
 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
37,117 posts, read 38,762,003 times
Reputation: 59420

Advertisements

I saw this on the Florida forum and thought I'd modify it for Tennessee.

For those who moved to Tennessee:


1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Tennessee?


2. What was the most important reason why you moved to Tennessee?


3. What made you pick the particular town in Tennessee that you moved to?


4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?


5. If you had to do it over again would you still move to Tennessee? If no, would you have chosen a different town in Tennessee, moved to someplace other than Tennessee or returned to the place you left?


6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Tennessee than where you moved from?


7. Do you have friends of relatives in other states that tried to either directly persuade you not to move to Tennessee or showed their displeasure/disapproval/incredulity/disgust/non-enthusiasm in more subtle ways? Why, do you know?


8. Do you think the town where you live now in Tennessee will eventually turn into the place you left? If so, how long will it take?


9. Since you got here, what has surprised you most either about Tennessee or your town in Tennessee? (good or bad)


10. Would you recommend others move to Tennessee?


Extra Question: What haven't you done yet since moving to Tennessee that you would like to do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2007, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,289 posts, read 22,327,525 times
Reputation: 1699
You need to do one of those for those of us who have been here and they can't get rid of.

;-)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
 
Location: The land of erternal summer to Murfreesboro, TN
1,109 posts, read 2,838,523 times
Reputation: 409
My answers are in blue. I quoted the questionaire because it was easier to answer that way.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I saw this on the Florida forum and thought I'd modify it for Tennessee.

For those who moved to Tennessee:


1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Tennessee?
West Palm Beach Florida. 2 months in Tennessee.

2. What was the most important reason why you moved to Tennessee?
Florida was becoming a cesspool of crime and is just going to get worse.

3. What made you pick the particular town in Tennessee that you moved to?
My job transferred me to this particular area and there were jobs for my husband in this area as well.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?
No real adjustment period. I liked it right away and felt comfortable right away. Before moving I was nervous everyday and even thought of not doing it at times. I lived in FL 30 years. I am so glad I did. I wish I did it sooner!

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move to Tennessee? If no, would you have chosen a different town in Tennessee, moved to someplace other than Tennessee or returned to the place you left?
I would not change a thing!


6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Tennessee than where you moved from? Much, much better. I feel safe wherever I go and I love the topography of Tennessee and the change of seasons. I am looking forward to a real winter again after so many years in FL.


7. Do you have friends of relatives in other states that tried to either directly persuade you not to move to Tennessee or showed their displeasure/disapproval/incredulity/disgust/non-enthusiasm in more subtle ways? Why, do you know? Yes, they did. I was told I would hate it here and I would be back in FL. They made fun of the people here as if it were backward and rural. None of them have ever been here. Why did they do this? Because MISERY LOVES COMPANY! I knew better and ignored them all. Now they want to come visit! haha! Let em all stay in fabulous FL!


8. Do you think the town where you live now in Tennessee will eventually turn into the place you left? If so, how long will it take? I do think it will eventually, but I am hoping it won't. I would say within 10 years it will feel like what I left. Why? because secrets are not secrets for long! The word gets out, of course, and so many more will flock here. My hope is that they won't try to change it into another FL. You should come here to be a Tennessean and not to bring FL or any other state with you. If it was so great where you came from then you should have stayed there!


9. Since you got here, what has surprised you most either about Tennessee or your town in Tennessee? (good or bad) No surprises really. Very smooth transition over all. Good surprise though, was everything that was here in Murfreesboro. All the shopping, restaurants, etc. I didn't expect it, but was happy to see it all.


10. Would you recommend others move to Tennessee? No, I don't want them to spoil things! hehe! Just joking. I would for sure recommend it, especially to people raising children. It's so much nicer than where I came from.


Extra Question: What haven't you done yet since moving to Tennessee that you would like to do?
I am dying to go to the mountains. A real rural part of Tennessee. The Monteagle drive is to die for and I want to go there and really look around for a day. Any suggestions on where to go exactly to really see Tennessee would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,289 posts, read 22,327,525 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I am dying to go to the mountains. A real rural part of Tennessee. The Monteagle drive is to die for and I want to go there and really look around for a day. Any suggestions on where to go exactly to really see Tennessee would be much appreciated[/color]!
The Natchez Trace Parkway is a great drive, especially in early spring or fall when the leaves change.

And going to any of the goofy festivals we have here.

Fall Creek Falls, Bicentennial Mall, the Hermitage, Belle Meade Plantation, a canoe trip down any of the small rivers, the Jack Daniels Distillery, the Blue Heron Cumberland River tour out of Ashland City, "See Rock City", the Inclined Railroad . . .

Have you ever seen the local PBS productions of Beautiful Tennessee and Beautiful Tennessee Waterways?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
 
Location: The land of erternal summer to Murfreesboro, TN
1,109 posts, read 2,838,523 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
The Natchez Trace Parkway is a great drive, especially in early spring or fall when the leaves change.

And going to any of the goofy festivals we have here.

Fall Creek Falls, Bicentennial Mall, the Hermitage, Belle Meade Plantation, a canoe trip down any of the small rivers, the Jack Daniels Distillery, the Blue Heron Cumberland River tour out of Ashland City, "See Rock City", the Inclined Railroad . . .

Have you ever seen the local PBS productions of Beautiful Tennessee and Beautiful Tennessee Waterways?
My husband would love the distillery and "See Rock City" sounds cool to me and the railroad. I remember seeing the "See Rock City" signs on my way here. Is that near Chattanooga? I still don't have my bearings yet of where I actually am. LOL! I am directionally challenged as it is. The GPS has been my beat friend since I came here. I want to see Falls Creek Falls. That is for sure near Chattanooga right?

I have never seen the PBS special. I suppose I should watch it huh?
Thanks Alleycat. Can always count on you for an answer to things.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,289 posts, read 22,327,525 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
My husband would love the distillery and "See Rock City" sounds cool to me and the railroad. I remember seeing the "See Rock City" signs on my way here. Is that near Chattanooga? I still don't have my bearings yet of where I actually am. LOL! I am directionally challenged as it is. The GPS has been my beat friend since I came here. I want to see Falls Creek Falls. That is for sure near Chattanooga right?

I have never seen the PBS special. I suppose I should watch it huh?
Thanks Alleycat. Can always count on you for an answer to things.
Yes, Rock City and the Inclined Railroad are near Chattanooga, as well as the Tennessee Aquarium. You can ignore the "Disneyland" parts of Rock City and just enjoy Lookout Mountain.

Fall Creek Falls is somewhat between Nashville and Chattanooga. If you're in Murfreesboro it's probably better to drive through Woodbury and McMinnville over to Spencer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
 
Location: The land of erternal summer to Murfreesboro, TN
1,109 posts, read 2,838,523 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Yes, Rock City and the Inclined Railroad are near Chattanooga, as well as the Tennessee Aquarium. You can ignore the "Disneyland" parts of Rock City and just enjoy Lookout Mountain.

Fall Creek Falls is somewhat between Nashville and Chattanooga. If you're in Murfreesboro it's probably better to drive through Woodbury and McMinnville over to Spencer.
Cool, thanks Alleycat. Now that the weather is changing, I want to go soon. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for the tips!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
 
Location: NW PA
1,093 posts, read 454,367 times
Reputation: 199
Laura C, Once again a great thread, Thanks, hope lots of newcomers answer. Laura, would like to see your answers.
Kim918, nice job!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
451 posts, read 1,316,831 times
Reputation: 363
You may be thinking of Ruby Falls near Chattanooga.... We always made a visit to Rock City and Ruby Falls together on a Chattanooga run.

p.s. Kim, i just wanted to hugggggggg you when i read some of your responses!!!

Last edited by JoAnn5; 10-24-2007 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: to add post script
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Location: The land of erternal summer to Murfreesboro, TN
1,109 posts, read 2,838,523 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
You may be thinking of Ruby Falls near Chattanooga.... We always made a visit to Rock City and Ruby Falls together on a Chattanooga run.

p.s. Kim, i just wanted to hugggggggg you when i read some of your responses!!!
Hugs are good ,but why may I ask?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top