Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,287 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Watertown, moved a few towns away and movd back within 2 yrs. I move away again and ended up back there 3 yrs later. I recently moved to Alexandria and I love it. I live in the city but my neighbor is 2 calves. No joke. I can walk to the hardware store, bank, library, dentist, doctors office, post office , and the police dept without getting out of breathe. We have a Dollar General and one of the best grocery store around for buying meats. Watertown has more restaurants and more fire fighters but as far as peace and quite goes....I'd take Alexandria anyday. It is only about 5 miles away from my old place but it seems like another state. Oh and we have the Dekalb County Fair here as well. Once again walking distance. IF you speak to the locals they will actually speak back, if you don't speak they will nod or say "hi" anyways but not interupt whatever you are trying to do. If you are looking for fun and excitment, you will have to drive, but if you want low house payments, low utility cost, low taxes, cheap car tags, low crime and noise...then when a place comes available......JUMP QUICKLY, before it's gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,287 times
12buttons......I believe that IF your business attitude is anything like your forum attitude, that your business would close down in less time than it would take you to set it all up. The "poor farmers and lower middle class" as you call us would stop in, welcome you to the area, realize how you are, leave , spread the word and dust would begin to settle on your products even if they were free.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 PM

634 posts, read 1,414,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissdad View Post
12buttons......I believe that IF your business attitude is anything like your forum attitude, that your business would close down in less time than it would take you to set it all up. The "poor farmers and lower middle class" as you call us would stop in, welcome you to the area, realize how you are, leave , spread the word and dust would begin to settle on your products even if they were free.

*quoted for truth*

And thats why folks here agree on keeping change out. Each time we take a road trip, after a few days in the other world,,we just can't wait to get back to our piece of heaven. My daughter and I may ride the horses to town in a few days again. Nothing like tying them to a flagpole while checking the P.O. box, or to a pole while runnin' into Pritchards store to get a cold drink for the 4 mile ride back home in the sticks.Sometimes we see a few ATV riders at the store as well and just chat with them before leaving, not many places allow ATV's to be ridden to stores ( long as they don't ride them through town ). I put alot of miles on mine yesterday, I backroaded it to Woodbury and rode ridges a while,then backroaded it to Short Mountain,rode land around Gassaway on the way back,then backroaded and woodstrailed it back home. The key is to respect what we have here,and keep the ATV's on the narrow one lane country backroads, then they don't mind. One farmer even built a racetrack so the area kids could backroad to it,and ride at their own free will ( at own risk ).Getting on HWY 70,96 or 53 I'm sure they'd frown on it. Exept the horse riders, they still have the right of way and folks will get citated for honkin' a horn at them ( my Lt. state trooper brother 27 years on the force told me that one ).

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-28-2008 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Well never been there but it sounds like a place where someone might meet some nice folks. I lived in a small town in Ohio, raised my kids there and could go to to bed with my lawnmower in the front yard and find it still there come morning. It would be nice to live someplace again where I could sit on my front porch in peace and quiet. Yep sounds like Mayberry, my kind of place...

Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,290,690 times
Fun trivia: Jackson TN was the state's first Alexandria.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,250 times
Default Alexandria

thanks for the info! My husband and myself including our dogs and our grandchildren are buying in alexandria, we can't wait! We're sick of where we live and look forward to living with decent people!!
See you folks soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
It is the ''Home Of The finest Folks On Earth'', the sign says so

It's an old town, many of the older folks didn't go to school cause they had to work as kids.Families in these parts still ''pull together'' to this day, but kids do go to school nowdays. Life is laid back here, very laid back.The newspaper here has had write-up's about how outsiders feel about this area after they move here,and I've seen it written for them to head back to where ever they came from if they don't like it here.DeKalb county don't like change.The folks say they don't want the area to become congested like other places and they enjoy the piece and quiet this area has to offer. I've seen farms sell but before being sold the owners hired a lawyer to restrict the land so it can't be sub-devided, that keeps contractors out.Most say if they want to see big city lights or have a night on the town, they take a vacation to drive there, then come back home to Gods country.To most, just living here is a year long vacation anyways.Here,money ain't everything,and it don't cost alot to live here.Fitting in with the locals is another story though as they are a close net community three towns in a row.Three towns share the same school k through 8'th grade and most parents know most of the kids by name in that school. I know a great deal of them myself.

See the ''Mule'' on the rock bluff on HWY 70 in Liberty.The state started a 4 lane HWY and was going to blast the bluff.Needless to say, the locals fought it and after the picture of the mule made it to Capitol Hill, the state ended up building the HWY around him.

Money? There's not much to offer out here but the folks are very happy with what they have. Our own kids were born here as are most others and know about everyone. I think thats more important than money to know our kids ''feel right at home and know they are''.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee