Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM

327 posts, read 526,419 times

Advertisements

Please share your knowledge and experience of places in your state--whether you think there’s a place that might suit us. Tried to be brief and hit the high points.

Demographics
We’re a couple in our late 40s, both somewhat introverted, both with advanced degrees, and no children. We’ve lived most of our lives in a metro area of ~2M, and enjoy the diversity and amenities that brings. We don’t see retiring here in our future, and are wanting a place that will be a good fit for our preferences and personality. And bring us into contact with similar folks for friendship and community.

Climate
The major reason for making this move—winters in Mpls MN have caused us to cry uncle. We want to enjoy the outdoors in clement weather for more of the year than we can here. That part’s probably fine, but if the trade-off means 2+ months of highs at 80 (or worse); well, that’s a deal-breaker. We have fairly high humidity in the Twin Cities, so unless that’s a lot worse, we can probably take it.

Jobs
One of us telecommutes; the other provides fee-for-service counseling…that means clients must be able and willing to pay out-of-pocket fees at the local rate.

Culture
Some of the specifics that matter to us, we already have good resources to find out about. We enjoy our summertime free Music in the Parks concerts, the Fringe Festival, Speculative Fiction conventions, and weekly Contra dancing – to name a few of our regular activities and give a sense of our lifestyle. We don’t go to bars/nightclubs, eat junk food (or even grains), or follow any sports.

Politics
We’re not conservative at all, and not really liberal either (though perhaps so a few issues). We are very independent- and freedom-minded. Not patient with bureaucracy, patriarchy, stupidity, or glorification of the old days.

Religion
There must be a sizeable and active community of Humanists and other Freethinkers. A poor match for us would be if everyday activities are often and overtly “churched”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Based on your weather preferences alone I would recommend ONLY easternmost Tennessee, but then all your other preferences would rule out even that part of the state.

Maybe Asheville, NC?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Please share your knowledge and experience of places in your state--whether you think there’s a place that might suit us. Tried to be brief and hit the high points.

Demographics
We’re a couple in our late 40s, both somewhat introverted, both with advanced degrees, and no children. We’ve lived most of our lives in a metro area of ~2M, and enjoy the diversity and amenities that brings. We don’t see retiring here in our future, and are wanting a place that will be a good fit for our preferences and personality. And bring us into contact with similar folks for friendship and community.
What amenities specifically do you enjoy? Nowhere in Tennessee is nearly as large as Minneapolis, though we have several sizable cities.

Nashville metro has the most people with advanced degrees, and the most in the way of overall city amenities, although specific amenities will vary from city to city...so it really depends on what you value the most.

Quote:
Climate
The major reason for making this move—winters in Mpls MN have caused us to cry uncle. We want to enjoy the outdoors in clement weather for more of the year than we can here. That part’s probably fine, but if the trade-off means 2+ months of highs at 80 (or worse); well, that’s a deal-breaker. We have fairly high humidity in the Twin Cities, so unless that’s a lot worse, we can probably take it.
My take is you're going to have to trade one for the other, or move west. Minneapolis's record temps match or exceed ours (which I think is miserable)...but the average temps are considerably lower.

Most of the Tennessee cities are pretty similar as far as weather goes, with a slight break for those living at higher elevations.

Here's a comparison of Nashville to Minneapolis:

January
Minneapolis
-record high - 59
-average high - 23.7
-record low - (-41)
-average low - 7.4
-precipitation - 0.90

Nashville
-record high - 78
-average high - 47.4
-record low - (-17)
-average low - 28.9
-precipitation - 3.75

February
Minneapolis
-record high - 64
-average high - 28.8
-record low - (-40)
-average low - 12.7
-precipitation - 0.76

Nashville
-record high - 84
-average high - 52.2
-record low - (-13)
-average low - 32.1
-precipitation - 3.94

March
Minneapolis
-record high - 83
-average high - 41.3
-record low - (-32)
-average low - 24.2
-precipitation - 1.89

Nashville
-record high - 89
-average high - 61.5
-record low - 2
-average low - 39.5
-precipitation - 4.11

April
Minneapolis
-record high - 95
-average high - 57.7
-record low - 2
-average low - 37.2
-precipitation - 2.65

Nashville
-record high - 91
-average high - 71.0
-record low - 23
-average low - 48.0
-precipitation - 4.00

May
Minneapolis
-record high - 106
-average high - 69.4
-record low - 18
-average low - 48.9
-precipitation - 3.36

Nashville
-record high - 96
-average high - 78.6
-record low - 34
-average low - 57.3
-precipitation - 5.50

June
Minneapolis
-record high - 104
-average high - 78.8
-record low - 34
-average low - 58.7
-precipitation - 4.25

Nashville
-record high - 109
-average high - 86.4
-record low - 42
-average low - 66.0
-precipitation - 4.14

July
Minneapolis
-record high - 108
-average high - 83.4
-record low - 43
-average low - 64.0
-precipitation - 4.04

Nashville
-record high - 107
-average high - 89.8
-record low - 51
-average low - 70.1
-precipitation - 3.63

August
Minneapolis
-record high - 103
-average high - 80.5
-record low - 39
-average low - 61.7
-precipitation - 4.29

Nashville
-record high - 106
-average high - 89.4
-record low - 47
-average low - 68.9
-precipitation - 3.16

September
Minneapolis
-record high - 104
-average high - 71.7
-record low - 26
-average low - 52.3
-precipitation - 3.07

Nashville
-record high - 105
-average high - 82.8
-record low - 36
-average low - 61.2
-precipitation - 3.41

October
Minneapolis
-record high - 90
-average high - 58.1
-record low - 10
-average low - 39.6
-precipitation - 2.43

Nashville
-record high - 94
-average high - 72.1
-record low - 26
-average low - 49.4
-precipitation - 3.04

November
Minneapolis
-record high - 77
-average high - 41.2
-record low - (-25)
-average low - 26.2
-precipitation - 1.76

Nashville
-record high - 85
-average high - 60.7
-record low - (-1)
-average low - 39.9
-precipitation - 4.31

December
Minneapolis
-record high - 68
-average high - 27.1
-record low - (-39)
-average low - 12.2
-precipitation - 1.15

Nashville
-record high - 79
-average high - 50.0
-record low - (-10)
-average low - 31.8
-precipitation - 4.23

Yearly
Minneapolis
-record high - 108
-average high - 55.1
-record low - (-41)
-average low - 37.1
-precipitation - 30.55"
-snowfall - 50.8"

Nashville
-record high - 109
-average high - 70.2
-record low - (-17)
-average low - 49.4
-precipitation - 47.22"
-snowfall - 5.8"

I think overall, the weather here is quite a bit better...but it won't do you any good if you can't stand the heat. It gets just as hot, or hotter, record wise, in Minneapolis...but it isn't nearly as prolonged as it is here. But the winters are much, much more mild. It looks like an average of about 20-25 degrees more mild. Fall and Spring are generally very pleasant here, outside of storms....which brings up another point. Nashville gets about 17 more inches of rain each year (50%+ more)...but Minneapolis gets about 9x more snow. I'm not sure if there is a suitable sweet spot in the eastern US...north of Nashville, it gets nearly as hot, but also gets much colder and more snow. To the south, winters are even more mild, but summers even more oppressive and humid. The only way you're going to miss out on both the cold and the humidity is if you look to the west (coast).

Quote:
Jobs
One of us telecommutes; the other provides fee-for-service counseling…that means clients must be able and willing to pay out-of-pocket fees at the local rate.
Fee-for-service counseling sounds like something where you need to have a reputation...it might not be the easiest thing to just move in and set up shop (and that goes for anywhere you move). You might have to consider taking a job with a group that already does that sort of work and is already established, at least at first.

Quote:
Culture
Some of the specifics that matter to us, we already have good resources to find out about. We enjoy our summertime free Music in the Parks concerts, the Fringe Festival, Speculative Fiction conventions, and weekly Contra dancing – to name a few of our regular activities and give a sense of our lifestyle. We don’t go to bars/nightclubs, eat junk food (or even grains), or follow any sports.
There's plenty to do music-wise, not only in Nashville, but Tennessee in general. The music scene is stereotypically country in Nashville, and blues in Memphis, but the scene is much more varied than that (also including Knoxville and Chattanooga in that). I'm not so sure about the other things (I don't even know what Contra dancing is). Bars/nightclubs and sports are pretty big fixtures here...so I'm not sure if that would be a negative for you, or if that matters.

We do have a lot of great parks to visit, though.

Quote:
Politics
We’re not conservative at all, and not really liberal either (though perhaps so a few issues). We are very independent- and freedom-minded. Not patient with bureaucracy, patriarchy, stupidity, or glorification of the old days.
I hear you, there. Tennessee, though, is dominated by the Republican party as well as social conservatives, especially in the rural areas and around many of the suburbs (there are a few exceptions, though). The cities tend to be more liberal at their core, though as a whole not as liberal perhaps as in other regions. Unfortunately I think a lot of your complaints about bureaucracy et al can be found virtually anywhere in America. We are certainly not a political paradise for the independent, though.

Quote:
Religion
There must be a sizeable and active community of Humanists and other Freethinkers. A poor match for us would be if everyday activities are often and overtly “churched”.
That depends on each place/establishment. Obviously there are a lot more religious people in the south than in most other regions. You will find some places where that leaks into everyday life/activities. It's not universal, though. I would say most establishments operate in a secular environment, but religion will almost certainly be more noticeable here. That might not be a good fit if that is a big turnoff for you. (For the record, I am religious, but am turned off by hyper-religiousity, as I tend to keep my views personal in public).

All in all, based on your preferences, I don't think Tennessee would be a good fit in the broad sense. I'm sure you could find your niche, especially in the larger cities, but I think you will find yourself in the decided minority. If you are looking for like-minded people, you will not find a plethora of them here (though a good number certainly do exist).

I would encourage you to visit, however, if you have the time, and ultimately make your decision in person.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Well east Tennessee can get as cold and snowy as Minnesota. I did 4 years in Michigan, if weather is a deciding factor, you probably want to stay in southern middle, or southern west Tennessee.

As far as music in the park, and conventions, most cities have something going on, Nashville is the music city, and of course Memphis has beale.

I would suggest you make a vacation trip to Nashville. Most folks like the town, like the atmosphere, and there are lots of smaller towns outside of town that are not that big but offer the quick drive to Nashville for music and arts on the weekend.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

... if the trade-off means 2+ months of highs at 80 (or worse); well, that’s a deal-breaker. We have fairly high humidity in the Twin Cities, so unless that’s a lot worse, we can probably take it.
The majority of the state is well above 80 in July and August, with high humidity.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
Summers in TN are brutal - hot and humid. The entire South is like that. Atlanta is very diverse, but it's hotter than TN. The combination of hot, humid summer and the fact that the South is also conservative, religious (evangelical Christian) and in many ways, hold on to the "old ways" may mean it's just not right for you. I'm Southern and love the South very much - but it's not for everyone. Have you considered San Diego or somewhere else in Southern California? I ask this seriously as I am in TN part time and SoCal part time so know both places well.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well east Tennessee can get as cold and snowy as Minnesota.
This is not true at all.

It may be the coldest and snowiest part of the state but it does not compare to Minnesota.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
This is not true at all.

It may be the coldest and snowiest part of the state but it does not compare to Minnesota.
The only place I can think of that would be a good comparison would be on the top of Mount LeConte, which is over 6,500 ft in elevation, and really doesn't share weather patterns with the rest of the state.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
East TN can regularly get snow of 2-4 inches, maybe a bit more in places like Mountain City. Some years, very little snow at all. So, definitely not like Minnesota.

I would say you could be happy in Nashville, but it depends SO much on your individual ability to connect to like-minders. They are out there (actually in all cities in TN, even the smaller ones like Jackson, Murfreesboro, and Johnson City) but they are surrounded by "the others." If you have little tolerance for being around a variety of people, Tennessee definitely is NOT for you. The urban populations of TN are pretty mixed in terms of thought with institutions like FedEx, Vandy, HCA, Eastman, UT-Knox, TVA bringing in people from all over the place. There are sizable international immigrant populations in Nashville. There are also a LOT of people who are evangelical Christian, especially in middle, east, and rural west TN.

Nashville has shown a new level of intelligent and cooperative government over the past decades and is currently working on a large new convention center, a bus rapid transit system through the urban core, and the active and progressive growth of urban amenities and living. It's cosmopolitan enough, has festivals and music galore, and every decent city in TN has a healthy eating/healthy living crowd. The mayor of Knoxville is a committed progressive/liberal with a community organizing background; the governor of Tennessee is an intelligent conservative with a background in the energy industry.

To sum, again, it's your ability to live in balance with people of all different types of mindsets. We are varied here.

Quote:
The only place I can think of that would be a good comparison would be on the top of Mount LeConte, which is over 6,500 ft in elevation, and really doesn't share weather patterns with the rest of the state.
I was thinking the same about Roan Mountain. So, maybe a select few places in the TN mountains that get lots of snow. Parts of western North Carolina highlands probably get more snow. The OP might want to look over there. The Mount Rogers area in Virginia could be similar, but it's definitely MUCH more "backwater" than Nashville or even the Asheville area.

Last edited by jabogitlu; 03-08-2013 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well east Tennessee can get as cold and snowy as Minnesota. I did 4 years in Michigan, if weather is a deciding factor, you probably want to stay in southern middle, or southern west Tennessee.
Oh good gravy!

Michigan doesn't compare to East Tennessee and Minnesota is even less so. Even Mount LeConte - which is only accessible by foot - isn't the same. It doesn't have the brutal weather conditions of Minnesota and not for the length of time that they endure.

To put it in perspective:

International Falls, Minnesota's yearly average temperature is 36.4 degrees.

It has snowed in June in Minnesota.

Most snow in a month in Minnesota? 66 inches. Most snow in a season? 170 inches.

The most snow you would see in a winter in East Tennessee - and this would be in the mountains where most people don't live - would be about 16 inches. The average for most towns is much lower than that.

Minnesota is the northern most state of the 48 lower United States with a small portion of the state called the Northwest Angle being above the 49th parallel. The Northwest Angle is up on the Lake of the Woods and if you do not go there by boat you actually have to drive through Manitoba to reach it.

The coldest temperature ever recorded in Minnesota is -60 degrees on February 2, 1996 in Tower which has an elevation of 1,430 feet.

But telling these folks that southern middle or western Tennessee is a better fit would be a disaster. They don't like heat and humidity. Just the dew point alone, just the way it feels here in the summer, even in northeast Tennessee, wouldn't work for them.

Then there is all of the - what was the term they used? - ah yes, "overtly churched." That's not an actual term but I suspect I understand what they mean. Even in a place such as the downtown core of Knoxville they are going to find the religious and occasionally overtly so. You see, here in Knoxville we can be quite liberal - although that changes from about five minutes out of town for the most part - but also conservative and very libertarian. We are decidedly "freethinkers" in the sense that we are free to have our beliefs and don't mind if yours are different than ours.

So, taken as a whole, given the climate, the politics, the wants and needs of the poster I don't think that anywhere in Tennessee would be a good fit. Perhaps California?

The Coldest States in the U.S - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

USATODAY.com - Answers: What are the 10 coldest states

Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee