U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,890,323 times

Advertisements

Here in Fl we're getting advertisement for this. It has land deals that seem too good to be true.
Has anybody here dealt with them?

Warnings or Kudos welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,837,946 times
It might help answer your question if you gives us a few "too good to be true" deals your seeing. And who are you talking about by saying dealing with "them"? A specific advertisor, a specific realtor ......etc.

I've recently spent a year researching property in East TN to buy so I have a little knowledge of what land is going for right now but i will say the further you are out in the sticks (like 1 hour from the closest store or gas station), the greater the deals. This locaton of land could be what the advertisements are for if it seems too good to be true.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 PM

6,761 posts, read 11,243,554 times
Agreed. I moved here 1 year ago and me and my wife just started looking for land in the outer areas of Knoxville as we have been renting so far.

We have found that most of the ads that have prices at around $5k-$15k per acre are a long way from civilization. We looked at 5 acres yesterday that was priced at $37k and was beautiful land. Didn't look like it was that far away from everything on a map, but the roads were all small, windy and narrow. Took us half an hour from the interstate to get to it, and there was NOTHING between the interstate and the land as far as stores go, not even a little convenience store or gas station.

Most of what we've found is that you'll be looking at a minumum of $20k per acre if its close to anything, and thats if you are buying several acres. If you are buying a single acre or smaller, prepare to spend anyhwere from $30k-$100k+ depending on how desirable of an area it is located.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Tennessee Land and Lakes - Land for Sale Tennessee

This is the website thus where I got the name....As I look further it's a development called Grande Vista Bay. The local paper is touting 20 acres for $29,900 or 20 acres with a 2100 ft home for $69,900.

I don't mind the sticks but I don't want to drive all the way up there if someone already there (not affiliated with them) has any 1st hand knowledge.

Thanks for pointing out I needed to give more info.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 54,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
Tennessee Land and Lakes - Land for Sale Tennessee

This is the website thus where I got the name....As I look further it's a development called Grande Vista Bay. The local paper is touting 20 acres for $29,900 or 20 acres with a 2100 ft home for $69,900.

I don't mind the sticks but I don't want to drive all the way up there if someone already there (not affiliated with them) has any 1st hand knowledge.

Thanks for pointing out I needed to give more info.
My husband and I live in Orlando and we saw the ad in the paper. The development for the ad you are talking about is Ross Creek Ridge. Grande Vista Bay is something else by a lake or river. The Ross Creek Ridge acreages for sale is outside of Clifton Tn. You can go to the Ross Creek Ridge website however, they don't have much. Watch the video and you can see actual plats for sale. We are going to the sale November 10th. Actually the 2100sf home is not for 69,000.00. You can buy 29 acres for 29.900 or add a log home package for 40,000 more. The package includes the blueprint and materials - you will have to have it built. The log cabin company is Southland and we have researched the company and are not happy with what we see. The best deal is to buy the 20 acres for 29,900 and build your own home. There is a golf course in the Ross Creek Landing nearby and it is a Jack Nicholas design. The nearest mid sized town is Waynesboro and it is 30 mins away. I think Chattanooga and Nashville are a couple of hours away. Memphis is an hour away but I hear bad things about Memphis. From what I understand this sale on Nov 10th is booked already, but I'm sure in a couple of months they will open up another sale. They said that the last 45 plats they opened up in September all sold. We'll see how legit this is in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps!!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilyn View Post
My husband and I live in Orlando and we saw the ad in the paper. The development for the ad you are talking about is Ross Creek Ridge. Grande Vista Bay is something else by a lake or river. The Ross Creek Ridge acreages for sale is outside of Clifton Tn. You can go to the Ross Creek Ridge website however, they don't have much. Watch the video and you can see actual plats for sale. We are going to the sale November 10th. Actually the 2100sf home is not for 69,000.00. You can buy 29 acres for 29.900 or add a log home package for 40,000 more. The package includes the blueprint and materials - you will have to have it built. The log cabin company is Southland and we have researched the company and are not happy with what we see. The best deal is to buy the 20 acres for 29,900 and build your own home. There is a golf course in the Ross Creek Landing nearby and it is a Jack Nicholas design. The nearest mid sized town is Waynesboro and it is 30 mins away. I think Chattanooga and Nashville are a couple of hours away. Memphis is an hour away but I hear bad things about Memphis. From what I understand this sale on Nov 10th is booked already, but I'm sure in a couple of months they will open up another sale. They said that the last 45 plats they opened up in September all sold. We'll see how legit this is in a couple of weeks. Hope this helps!!

Thanks so much for the info...the Grande Vista Bay name is the one that came up when I searched the name.
I thought the 20 acre deal looked better too.
Please let me know what you find out.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 54,943 times
We,ll let you know Capt!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM

24,507 posts, read 26,801,948 times
If you do buy get your self a good real estate attorney. Theirs land out their.... "but" what can you build on it is the question. Home - Manufactured Home - Mulit-Use is the question, and how big? and how many bed rooms for your "Perk Test"......

Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM

6,289 posts, read 22,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
The local paper is touting 20 acres for $29,900 or 20 acres with a 2100 ft home for $69,900.
No way.

Unless it's at the bottom of the lake. Or it's actually the shell of a house ("Oh, didn't you know? . . . wiring and plumbing are extras. So is doors.")

Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,837,946 times
We looked into some lots for sale too at a reasonable price and it's just the shell of the home you get for $69,900. Your responsible for the rest of the completion price and building it. 20 acres for $29,900 is possible to find but your also going to find that it's the side of a cliff where you can't even walk down it because it's so steep. During our seach for property, we quickly learned what steep vs sloped land means. They mean the same thing meaning if you stand on the edge of the road and look straight down into the gulley, that's your property from the top of the road to the bottom and we did see homes built on land like that only they were completely built on stilts. It was a site to see actually where even the foundation of the home was built on stilts.

If you have a good realtor, you should be able to ask him/her to look up the restrictions on what you can build or not on your land and have actual proof of it. you don't necessarily need to hire an attorney for that research. When i bought my land my realtor did all the research for us and did the closing through an attorneys office to make sure all legal matters were correctly taken care of and it was no cost for me.

Also something i just learned. A perk test is not always required at least in some counties. They have what's called soil map testing which costs $300 (much cheaper than a perk test) and basically just has a soil scientist come out to do some soil testing in a certain sq/ft area of where you want to put your home and map it out on your lot which is then filed with the Health Dept. If that fails, then a Perk test IS required but the lady who just did ours for us last week said your better off doing a soil map instead of a Perk test if your county or area allows that because it's cheaper and in her 2 years of doing this kind of work, she's only had 5 of her Perk tests pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee