U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:17 AM

8 posts, read 16,291 times

Advertisements

I've kind of narrowed down my relocation spots to Eastern TN or Western NC. I would like an area 2,000+ feet elevation to avoid some of the coastal summer heat and humidity..

Eastern TN would be around the Sewanee area because of the UofS and programs to attend, and I like to swim laps for exercise, and they have the Fowler area with a pool.

Western NC, like Asheville and Jefferson, same thing.

I'm not looking to be hidden away out in the woods. I'd like to have a few restaurants and necessary shopping not too far away, as well as medical facilities.

I've been in touch with several realtor's and will be heading down from CT after Thanksgiving. Not the best time to visit, but I have a deadline for moving that can't be changed.

Would like to hear from anyone with any comments about the above, and thank you for any comments.....Arne
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 AM

6,289 posts, read 21,903,560 times
Well, Sewanee is actually in Middle Tennessee, but you're close enough to being right.

I've known a couple of people who went to UotS. Both loved the school itself, but one said he felt isolated there (Sewanee is a very small town a little off the beaten path, so to speak). He actually ended up leaving the university and transferring to Vanderbilt. It just something to keep in mind when you make your decision. For some this would be a good thing, for others it wouldn't. I'm sure there's a few restaurants and stores in town, but probably not many. I've been to Sewanee but it's been years ago and I can't remember what was there at the time. I'd guess there's a student medical center on campus. For anything else you could go to Chattanooga or even Nashville.

I like Asheville, NC, but it, like Gatlinburg, has become a little too touristy for my taste. There's some beautiful countryside around both Sewanee and Asheville.

I think this will probably come down to your gut feeling about both places.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 AM

Relocating is always a tough choice. Right now, CT is just getting too expensive for me, being retired. I live near Wesleyan University and they have events going on all the time. From what I can see of the UofS, it is quite a bit smaller.

I'm starting to think that when someone says an area is pretty or beautiful, it also means sparsely populated.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. I was in Gatlinburg last year and was amazed and disappointed in how much it had changed in 20 years. The mountainsides are now dotted with houses and condos. I had heard that Asheville had also grown a lot, but had never visited there.

I'm thinking if I move down that way, I'll probably have to look for a bigger town or small city... any suggestions are welcome. Would still like to be at a higher elevation to escape some of the summer heat/humidity.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnereil View Post
I'm starting to think that when someone says an area is pretty or beautiful, it also means sparsely populated.
That's often the case, of course, but I was thinking of the mountains and woods when I mentioned that the area around Sewanee and Asheville were beautiful.

Have you considered the smaller colleges in East Tennessee (by that I mean not the University of Tennessee)?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,562,488 times
Default HalfWay, ?? Between towns.

A: Cost of living #'s for retirement should be better over the border in Tenn, than N.C. This Aug was record for lots of places, 104 degrees may be future Global Warming, .Need a mtn stream or lake for afternoon swimming, or Aug vacation back to Canada.
.Halfway between your towns , East of Cleveland, in the Ocoee gorge may be a target to look at. City of Cleveland, colleges, being re-discovered. Got Smokey mtn parks for weekend activities. If future bridge over the Tenn River / lake is ever built area will prosper.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:18 AM

12,812 posts, read 36,104,220 times
Alleycat is right, Sewanee is VERY small and very isolated. For many people, that's one of its charms. But if you need to be near stores and good medical facilities, Sewanee might not be for you.

Split is right, SE TN is nice, too. But it's still pretty hot and muggy there.

How about the Johnson City or Greeneville areas in NE TN? You'll have incredible mountain views, it's very non-touristy, there are a couple of universities (Tusculum College in Greeneville and ETSU in Johnson City) and some very good hospitals including a medical school at ETSU.

The weather in NE TN is also very temperate: less humid and less hot than the rest of Tennessee, even Gatlinburg.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM

6,761 posts, read 15,343,063 times
There's also a pretty big branch of Morristown's Walters State Community College in Greene.

I have friends at Sewanee and they say the same thing -- just too small for their tastes. I've never been there, so I can't advise... but I do looove Asheville and surrounds. There's also Brevard which is just a bit east of Asheville, but has the university there, too.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 PM

457 posts, read 1,474,150 times
Sewanee is sort of isolated, I guess, but if you drive a few miles from there to I-22, a lot opens up. Manchester, about 20 miles to the NW and So. Pittsburg, about 20 miles to the SE have the usual chain restaurants and basic shopping. So. Pittsburg also has a decent sized medical center. Chattanooga is only 45 min to the SE. So I guess that "isolated" is a relative term.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 AM

Thank you all for your input.. I've printed off the messages and will do some research on the areas you mentioned. I guess Sewanee might be a bit smaller than what I'm looking for.

Getting specific areas and town names is great, as I can do some internet searching about housing, crime rates, etc..

I think right now, I should be able to find something that will fit my needs..

Also, thanks for pointing out that Sewanee was not Eastern TN.. I wasn't aware of that.

Any additional comments would be appreciated. I'm still more interested in staying at a bit of a higher elevation to escape some of the summer heat, if I can.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 AM

There's also Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN (near the Cumberland Gap). I don't know a lot about it other than it might have a reputation somewaht similar to UotS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee