Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Yes lots of Florida too. Many of them leave Florida tags on their cars for months after moving here. I know a couple of "halfbacks" too. I wonder why so many people want out of Florida, for years it was a destination of choice. Have the hurricanes scared that many people??? The beaches are still nice aren't they? I understand why so many want out of the northeast, but Florida is not a bad place so I guess I just don't see why there is such an exodus from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM

20 posts, read 31,619 times
It's good to know the state that I have lived in for over 20 years is a good place to retire to. My hubby and I are in that "retired" category and so far have no interest to move to any other place. We are quite happy here.

One of the other posters to this thread mentioned that most of the baby boomers are already retired. I don't understand that as the range of birth years for baby boomers is 1946-1964. Which translates into the age range for baby boomers as 67-49 years. According to Social Security the full retirement age is 66. That means only the first two years of the baby boomers are at the full retirement age. That doesn't mean a lot of the baby boomers have taken early retirement though. Just saying since the poster said most of the baby boomers are already retired.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes lots of Florida too. Many of them leave Florida tags on their cars for months after moving here. I know a couple of "halfbacks" too. I wonder why so many people want out of Florida, for years it was a destination of choice. Have the hurricanes scared that many people??? The beaches are still nice aren't they? I understand why so many want out of the northeast, but Florida is not a bad place so I guess I just don't see why there is such an exodus from there.
Don't even get me started. I lived there for 10 years and Florida if far from beaches and hurricanes. Read some of my older posts. I have rant after diatribe about the place. I left when I was relatively young and yanked my youngest out of the school system due to horrible schools but there is far more to it than that. The rude people down there - mostly the transplants - were the final straw in that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmonzon View Post
One of the other posters to this thread mentioned that most of the baby boomers are already retired. I don't understand that as the range of birth years for baby boomers is 1946-1964. Which translates into the age range for baby boomers as 67-49 years. According to Social Security the full retirement age is 66. That means only the first two years of the baby boomers are at the full retirement age. That doesn't mean a lot of the baby boomers have taken early retirement though. Just saying since the poster said most of the baby boomers are already retired.
You are correct. The baby boomers are just beginning to retire. A lot of us - I'm on the tail end - will NEVER be able to retire. I am quite serious. I'm a single mom with a good job and it is not ever going to happen for me.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,978 times
I know this thread is a little old ...but I'm curious as to how tennessee was ranked #1 in 2013 but is now #30??? Where Are The Best And Worst States To Retire? | Bankrate.com

Old 10-11-2015, 05:21 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
The higher crime rate in Memphis adversely affects the crime rate rating for the entire state. Retirees are attracted to Tennessee because of the low overall annual cost of living. The state of Tennessee does not tax retirement pensions, so that is a plus for retirees with pensions.

Last edited by jguillot; 10-11-2015 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 10-11-2015, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 1,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
The higher crime rate in Memphis adversely affects the crime rate rating for the entire state. Retirees are attracted to Tennessee because of the low overall annual cost of living. The state of Tennessee does not tax retirement pensions, so that is a plus for retirees with pensions.
Wow you're right. Didn't even notice this before, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee