U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

So I am trying to convince my husband to move us to Tennessee because he is in need of a better job. We live in a very scenic small town with waterfalls, beaches and the like. My husband loves where we live because he is outdoorsy and a small town kind of guy. I am from a bigger area with shopping and a variety of restaurants so I am not too fond of where we live. Also, because it is a very poor area with a lack of jobs available. My husband is also a very talented guitarist and I think being where there is more culture, music and art would be a great experience for him.

I am not sure where the best place to live is in Tennessee that would fit both of us. I told him Nashville but I have never been so I know nothing about it. So I am asking for help. Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM

6,623 posts, read 11,726,475 times
Well, first of all, you should visit Nashville if you know nothing about it. You might like it, or you might find it doesn't fit what you all are looking for. Second of all, if you do decide to move, I would strongly suggest you all do your job search before getting here.

I would also suggest visiting Chattanooga. Nashville has it's scenery and outdoorsy activities, but Chattanooga would be far better for that. It's not as big as Nashville (feels about 1/3 to 1/2 the size), so it might not be as big of a shock for your husband (or, better yet, you could look in a small town a little bit outside Chattanooga), but it should have a better variety of retail for you. I'm not saying you should definitely look there instead, but I think it would be good to have a comparison city for the both of you.

So...now all you need to do is plan your trip to Nashville and Chattanooga! They are about 2 hours apart, so it's a relatively easy drive (aside from a few miles around Monteagle).

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM

175 posts, read 335,290 times
What field is your husband in? I actually think the Knoxville area might be a good fit for you. The mountains are gorgeous and you have some suburbs that can feel a little smaller for your husband. I grew up in Maryville and loved it there. It has grown quite a bit, but you could live in the country a little more like Friendsville or Greenback and then have the amenities of Maryville and Knoxville for you.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,426,751 times
Why are you considering Tennessee over other states that have better job markets if your husband needs a better job? Outside of Nashville and Knoxville, and maybe Chattanooga and Memphis, Tennessee is a very poor state with a bad job market. The tax structure in TN hits poor people especially hard. There are also some industries, such as IT, that don't have a strong presence anywhere in TN. I couldn't recommend even considering outside of the big four cities unless you have a written job offer that is satisfying.

I think Nashville or Knoxville could serve you well. Where are you currently located so we can get an idea of what your cost of living may be? What are you looking to make in TN? Knoxville has a more reasonable cost of living with easier access to outdoor recreation and a decent music scene. The western NC mountains aren't a tourist trap like the Smoky Mountains National Park and are a short drive away. East TN has excellent hunting, biking, fishing, and boating and all of that is easily accessible from Knoxville.

I don't know as much about Nashville, but they did lead the nation last year in percentage job creation, so something is going right down there. Just judging from the rents I've seen on Craigslist, Nashville rents seem to be high compared to wages, at least for IT workers.

You absolutely must find a job before you get here or there is a high likelihood your move will fail. TN is not the state to come to if you are looking for good jobs and quick employment.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,066,666 times
Look for work first. Then move to be near your job. Even if you're dead set on one city, it's nice to be able to choose a home with a short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee