Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 PM

114 posts, read 357,486 times

Advertisements

unlike most of the southern states, TN imposes almost no state income tax (except interest and dividend), then how can TN maintain daily operation and still has better roads and on par facilities as neighboring states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
unlike most of the southern states, TN imposes almost no state income tax (except interest and dividend), then how can TN maintain daily operation and still has better roads and on par facilities as neighboring states?
Our sales tax is high. We pay 9.25% in sales tax. Some counties are as high as 9.75%. We pay 7% on food. There are no exceptions to the sales tax. It hits everything

Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 AM

712 posts, read 1,487,674 times
And....we dont waste money on things that other states do

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Our sales tax is high. We pay 9.25% in sales tax. Some counties are as high as 9.75%. We pay 7% on food. There are no exceptions to the sales tax. It hits everything

That, and probably tourism dollars, as well.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Last year, the grocery tax was 5.5 percent but was reduced to 5.25. As of July 1 it will be down to 5 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
And....we dont waste money on things that other states do
That's the bottom line. I get a lot of services with a very reduced tax burden. Great schools, great parks, excellent police and fire protection, yet I live in a state with the lowest tax burden in the country. Meanwhile, in some states in the union they are paying through the nose and getting very little return.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:13 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Last year, the grocery tax was 5.5 percent but was reduced to 5.25. As of July 1 it will be down to 5 percent.

That's the bottom line. I get a lot of services with a very reduced tax burden. Great schools, great parks, excellent police and fire protection, yet I live in a state with the lowest tax burden in the country. Meanwhile, in some states in the union they are paying through the nose and getting very little return.
If your county has a tax sales tax you will pay 7% on food. Most counties have a sales tax in addition to the state sales tax.

Also I think it is debatable that we don't waste money on things other states do. There is a reason TN ranks low in almost every national ranking of quality of life issues like health, education, child welfare, etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM

114 posts, read 357,486 times
we pay 5% on food in shelby county start Jul 1st. but everything else is 9.25% or 9.75% (suburban cities).

as far as I know, AL, MS and GA sales tax are not much lower either

Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
Here in Georgia we pay 3-4% on groceries and 6-7% on everything else.

Sometime next year, the State income tax could disappear and the sales tax would be somewhere like 9%.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I see the point of the greatly reduced tax burden - I pay very little to Nashville and in return receive little back, as I'd expect. However, since you're living in an affluent area of probably the second best city in the state, your perspectives on the quality of public services are likely a little skewed. The only point I'd agree with you on are the great parks.

Schools, police, and fire protection may be great in West Knoxville, but they are not so good in less affluent parts of the state. Most of the schools in the northeast part of the state are performing average to below average in a state that is itself below national averages. Crime, especially property crime, is way above national averages east of Knoxville and we've had a recent case here in Sullivan County of the sheriff suing the county mayor due to a lack of adequate funding. I don't know much about fire protection, but I would guess it's like many of the other public services and not adequately taken care of.

We will likely just to have agree to disagree, but I think TN's services are in line with what you'd expect from such a low tax area - you get what you pay for

Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Tennessee also receives a disproportionate amount of revenue from the federal gov't compared to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee