Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times

Advertisements

Tennessee is blessed to have a wonderful public university system. Actually, there are two systems in Tennessee: the University of Tennessee system (campuses in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, and Martin) and the Tennessee Board of Regents system (all other public universities).

Here are the fall 2007 enrollment figures for Tennessee's public universities, ranked from largest to smallest:

1. University of Tennessee, Knoxville: 26,400 students
2. Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro: 23,248 students
3. University of Memphis: 20,379 students
4. East Tennessee State University, Johnson City: 12,744 students
5. Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville: 10,321 students
6. University of Tennessee, Chattanooga: 9,558 students
6. Tennessee State University, Nashville: 9,065 students
7. Austin Peay State University, Clarksville: 8,607 students
8. University of Tennessee, Martin: 7,173 students
9. University of Tennessee, Memphis (medical school): 2,476 students

MTSU has the largest undergraduate enrollment in the state, but UTK's graduate enrollment is considerably larger, making UTK the largest single campus university in the state.

Between 2006-2007, Tennessee Tech had the largest increase in enrollment, 6 percent. ETSU came in 2nd with a 4.8 percent increase. Memphis lost about 0.9 percent during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM

35 posts, read 109,844 times
Good information to know. I plan on applying to UTK next year...just gotta decide what for, lol.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
From what I understand, the Board of Regents has an approved course of online study. My job would pay for this, so I am very interested.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
From what I understand, the Board of Regents has an approved course of online study. My job would pay for this, so I am very interested.
That's great! I teach in UTK's Continuing Education/Independent Study department as well as in traditional classrooms. It's amazing the number of online or correspondence courses that are available. I hope you can do it!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
At this point in my life, it would probably do nothing for my career-wise. However, it would be a dream finally realized.

I can remember an editor telling me that it was too late for me to go to college. He just didn't see the point. I was probably 28, and I believed him. Can you imagine that?

My co-worker said that the only way I could get a degree online was through the Board of Regents, and the closest was East Tennessee State University, Johnson City. I guess he is wrong?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
At this point in my life, it would probably do nothing for my career-wise. However, it would be a dream finally realized.

I can remember an editor telling me that it was too late for me to go to college. He just didn't see the point. I was probably 28, and I believed him. Can you imagine that?

My co-worker said that the only way I could get a degree online was through the Board of Regents, and the closest was East Tennessee State University, Johnson City. I guess he is wrong?
I'm not sure, it might depend on what the degree is. I know the TBR has been doing some great things with online degrees, and I believe they've set it up so that their member universities don't compete with each other.

As far as what degrees UTK offers on-line, I have to claim ignorance. I teach only in one department and don't really know what else is out there.

And I think that editor who told you that you were too old to get a degree was an IDIOT!!!!!! NO ONE is too old to get a college degree! My goodness, I just came home from teaching an evening class where probably 1/3 of the students are over 30.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM

421 posts, read 1,683,870 times
Tech's up to #5,that's great!

I believe it will continue to grow too!

firepower

Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 PM

62 posts, read 212,524 times
Do any of these colleges have online classes? I am currently attending FMU online here in Florida taking Crime Scene Investigations...

Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,235 times
Smile Hik, you are continually educating yourself; make it official if you can.

Quote:

Hiknapster, JMT is right. No one is ever too old to get a degree or even start a new career. You go for it no matter how you do it.

It doesn't even have to be to advance your career or to begin a new career. Do it for you. You are bright, eager to learn and share, and you deserve to give yourself all you can.

I was 45 before I was able to get serious about my master's degree and, by golly, before I turn to dust, I hope to have my doctorate. That would be Dr. Gem to you.

My brother earned his master's in divinity the traditional "go to class every day way", but did a lot of his doctorate work on line through Temple University in PA. He had to spend so many weeks a term on campus (2 or 3 as I recall), but other than that it was online study. He may be Rev. Dr. W.L.H., but he is still a country circuit preacher by choice. He just wanted to achieve it. You can too, and so can anyone else with the desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee