Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times

Advertisements

No, it's not a poplar. Poplars have a lighter bark and lobed leaves. I can kind of see the leaves of that tree in the photo, but it's still hard to tell.

In your other photos are azaleas and a pink dogwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
You hit the nail on the head....... What awesome photo's. Thanks for sharing

Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Ahh, I "enlarged" the photo. It might be a blackgum.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 PM

28 posts, read 90,612 times
Alleycat...here is a picture of leaves (and something a little critter left behind)..do you recognize any of these leaves to fit the tree? Oh...just saw your next post...I'll look up Black gum.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do you love Tennessee?-2007-april-trip-tn-109.jpg  

Old 11-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraplus View Post
Alleycat...here is a picture of leaves (and something a little critter left behind)..do you recognize any of these leaves to fit the tree? Oh...just saw your next post...I'll look up Black gum.
The main leaves you have there are oak. There are others as well but I can't really tell what those are. I think some are poplar (the one to the near right of the droppings).

Do the leaves of the tree look like the leaf in the center of that photo? The one right above the droppings.

Last edited by alleycat; 11-11-2007 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM

28 posts, read 90,612 times
I wish I had paid more attention to the leaves of that tree...I was kind of on cloud nine that day...first time I had seen our new property. But I zoomed in like 200 % on the tree photo...then looked up BlackGum tree...and I think it does resemble the leaves and description given. That would be cool. Next time we make a trip there..I'll make a point to take close up pic. Thanks so much.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:19 PM

If it has fruit you can taste it . . . but I don't think you'll like it.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraplus View Post
Of the leaves in that photo, from what I can tell, you have red and white oaks, tulip poplar, maybe a sweet gum (hard to tell), and maybe a redbud (again, hard to tell). You maybe have other trees with smaller leaves such as dogwoods, but the large leaves in the photo make it impossible to tell.

You also have a critter who likes to . . . uh, never mind.

;-)

Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM

62 posts, read 213,300 times
Mb, thanks for the beautiful photos. This is one reason why I can't wait to get the hell out of Florida!!! Just waiting for my home to sell, it's been on the market for a week and I hope with the real estate down it will actually sell for the price we need to relocate...

Old 11-13-2007, 04:53 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
What a great post Mbmouse. I love the pictures! Tennessee is an awesome place to live. I agree with you too about the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I LOVE TN! I am a transplant myself but been here over 10 years now, I could write a book about why I love TN, but here is my short list version. First let me start with, welcome to the C-D forum

Friendly, kind people live here, sure there are some not so nice, just like everywhere but for the most part, the people are great neighbors.

The land. There are a lot of open green fields and woods too, not over populated once you get out of the few main cities.

The sky, some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen and there are so many days where the sky is so blue it hurts your eyes

The people are wonderful!

The weather is rather mild for the most part. Granted this year has been a little off, late freeze in the spring, hot humid summer that lasted weeks longer than normal and we were short on rain, even to drought conditions. This has not been an "Average" year for sure, usually it isn't very hot in the summer and winter is also mild, we feel like it is a blizzard if more than 2 inches fall and it lasts more than a day. But there are 4 distinct seasons.

[/IMG]

I have seen at least 6 police officers over the years actually helping someone change a flat tire!

The history in some towns are preserved, appreciated and celebrated.

There are so many activities to do. Weither it be going to the Smokies
to do some hiking or just to enjoy the nature and scenery.

Or go to the touristy areas and play like Gatlinburg where you can go the aquarium, museums or to Pigeon Forge to shop or go to Dollywood.

Very little traffic except for a few of the large cities and good main roads.

Lots of good restaurants. Plenty of things for people of all ages to do without breaking the bank

The great people.

Easy on the wallet cost of living.

There are some beautiful lakes and rivers if you like water fun.

Have I mentioned how nice the people are??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee