Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 PM

34 posts, read 101,613 times

Advertisements

Add us to the list of people looking to relocate to Tennessee. The plan is to move there next summer with 3 trips planned between now and then.

We are looking at purchasing a house on 10+ acres after we rent the first 6-12 months. In looking at houses, I've seen quite a few with some kind of creek or small river running through the property and this is very appealing to the wife and I but we don't know the first thing about what that entails.

I assume there are some regulations involved when it comes to things like that but a quick search did not show anything. Does anyone have a link to a state or county site about that? Are their usually easements on them? Can the water be used for things like keeping a pond full? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,077,321 times
Regulations? This isn't one of those nanny states, sir. Welcome to Tennessee.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:08 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,820,127 times
Haha- talk about the total opposite from California (and I do still, like my state), my friend owns property with a creek in Northern California and he can barely skip a rock through it without violating some county or state ordinance. He had to remove a long established small dam to let the fish spawn through- which isn't a bad gesture but still.

Good luck with your unregulated creek!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:21 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,273,661 times
I like TN for just that reason. No nannies. It's a place where people can be people.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,626,227 times
Um, I hate to be a party pooper, but ...

The Official State of Tennessee's Department of Environment and Conservation, State Parks Website

The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation actually takes streams and creeks VERY seriously, and a state permit is required before you make changes to any creek here.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,780,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation actually takes streams and creeks VERY seriously, and a state permit is required before you make changes to any creek here.
And for good reason. Obviously with streams and rivers, what you do may negatively impact property owners and aquatic critters downstream.

Persons who wish to make an alteration to a stream, river, lake or wetland must first obtain a water quality permit. Physical alterations to properties of waters of the state requires an Aquatic Resource Alteration Permit (ARAP) or a §401 Water Quality Certification (§401 certification).
Aquatic Resource Alteration Permit (ARAP)
Environmental Permit Requirements Guide

Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Oh! I wasn't aware they were thinking of making changes to a creek. In fact, I don't think they've actually found a property they are interested in.

Next assignment, look up the state regulations regarding creeks in California and then compare.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,626,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh! I wasn't aware they were thinking of making changes to a creek. In fact, I don't think they've actually found a property they are interested in.
Well, usually "keeping a pond full" means either damming or diverting, so I figured that meant they would change it in some way.

The best bet for anyone seeking property to buy is to go to the city/county planning/codes department, have them pull a plat map, and check on any easements that may exist.

Do not just rely on a real estate agent's opinion on something like that.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Next assignment, look up the state regulations regarding creeks in California and then compare.
Actually, most Western states are equally, if not more zealous in water protection regulations and standards as California. In Colorado for example if you don't have long established water rights you cannot even collect the rainwater that falls on your roof or property much less divert or use any water from a stream running through it.

What some folks see as nanny state regulations others see as perfectly reasonable laws and regulations preventing your upstream neighbor from damming a creek for their exclusive use or pouring all their used motor oil in the waterway spoiling its fisheries and ground water resources for miles, just sayin'.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, usually "keeping a pond full" means either damming or diverting, so I figured that meant they would change it in some way.
Oh, I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Actually, most Western states are equally, if not more zealous in water protection regulations and standards as California. In Colorado for example if you don't have long established water rights you cannot even collect the rainwater that falls on your roof or property much less divert or use any water from a stream running through it.

What some folks see as nanny state regulations others see as perfectly reasonable laws and regulations preventing your upstream neighbor from damming a creek for their exclusive use or pouring all their used motor oil in the waterway spoiling its fisheries and ground water resources for miles, just sayin'.
Did I say something about other western states, or the Midwest or New England for that matter? I'm aware that we are different than a lot of other areas and the people that live here like it that way. Are you thinking of moving here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee