Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,731 times

Advertisements

The nine-month period of January through September 2007 was the driest such period in 118 years. Average rainfall in the Tennessee Valley above Chattanooga has been only 23 inches — or 58 percent of normal.

TVA has been operating the river system in conservation mode since February to ensure as much water is available to fill reservoirs to recreation target levels and provide other benefits Valley citizens have come to depend on.

TVA: Dry Weather and the River System (http://www.tva.gov/dryweather.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Thank you so much for this info!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
I'm not 118, but it's been the weirdest weather-year I can remember.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Unhappy Hope the SE doesn't turn in another SW.

It's too bad that other SE states didn't use the wisdom that the TVA displayed.

Georgia, Florida and Alabama may be the victims of poor planning by Army Corps of Engineers, but they certainly should have started conservation efforts early in the Spring when they knew that water supplies were threatened.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
It's too bad that other SE states didn't use the wisdom that the TVA displayed.

Georgia, Florida and Alabama may be the victims of poor planning by Army Corps of Engineers, but they certainly should have started conservation efforts early in the Spring when they knew that water supplies were threatened.

Could be poor planning too but your talking about a state with a population of 18 million vs 6 million and we have the heat and humidity evaporating it just as fast as we are using it at least 6 months a year. We were already in a drought from last summer so this spring we didn't have anything to conserve. The lake across the street from me has been closed to all boats and water craft since summer 2006 because it's so low and peoples boats are sitting on the bottom of the lake. My neighbor actually mowed their waterfront lake property the other day because it's grown into a jungle. they predicted a wet winter last year but that didn't happen and this year doesn't look any better. It's just bad everywhere. I don't even water my lawn on the one day i'm allowed to. I may have a brown ugly lawn but i'm doing my part on trying to conserve. TN wasn't any better. I couldn't believe how low the French Broad river was when we went by. I don't even think it was deep enough to a boat to pass through the little canal that was left.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 PM

You're right, daniellefort. Everyone has to do their part to try to remedy this situation on a grand scale.

Here in GA around early August, we were put on an even/odd watering schedule. Now, within the past few weeks, no one may water on any day, you may not wash your car or sidewalk. No outside water - period. That is why I say "too little, too late".

Think how much wiser it would have been to recognize the crazy weather patterns we have been in for the last couple of years and listen to those who are paid to predict these patterns. A lot of this calamity could have be allayed early on.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:56 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
we've been on the even/odd house number water schedule since summer of 2006. What gets everyone so mad down here is the golf clubs and high priced communities don't have that restriction so while these people have lush green lawns in their yard, everyone else suffers. A friend of mine lives in one of these high cost places and has been trying to get out. He gets fined if his grass starts to turn brown so what is a person to do? Pay the fine which usually isn't a small one, or water the lawn. It's crazy.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
TVA doesn't have a benevolent bone in their body. Holding water back insures cheap hydo electric power. Alternate sources of generation that cost more, may or may not be passed on to the consumer. Under the guise of social concern, the TVA may claim different, but utilities in general do not make good social citizens unless there is "gain" involved.

I've worked in the utility industry for nearly 30 yrs.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM

Thumbs up Great points.

Daniellefort, we have the same situation here. Even gas stations and McDonalds are exempt because they claim their landscape affects their business. How about my business of selling my house? Sorry, doesn't apply!

Car washes may operate only if they have a closed system that cleans and recycles their water. Isn't the car wash business without such a system affected - and literally forced to close their business? Money talks.

Dave_n_TN, I was disappointed to read your post because it burst another bubble. But, you are so right. Businessess do tell the public what it wants to hear to look like the good guys, but it always get down to the black ink in the ledger, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee