U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:06 PM

851 posts, read 2,238,628 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm going to be moving to Niota. And I'm trying to find out who's the electric and phone company. If anyone knows please let me know.
Also my brother in law is looking for a small home 2/1 or 2/2 on about a 1/2 acre around Niota. Can be a fixer upper. Price up to $ 35,000.00. Please let me know as well.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 PM

8,387 posts, read 19,356,284 times
Where on earth is Niota??????

Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Northwest from Athens, Tennessee.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:47 PM

30 posts, read 121,378 times
Not to be negative but do you already have jobs? Jobs that pay well are hard to find in that area, unless you like factory work, then there is a lot of them.

It is also a dry town/county. Have to drive to Knoxville to buy booze and to buy beer on Sunday you have to drive 6 miles to Athens! HA HA! Really stupid people there. Or very backwards to say the least. I moved to sweetwater from Fl and am back in Fl - would like to move back to TN but will move closer to Cookeville, Knoxville or Bristol when I do. Athens/Niota area is too much a depressed area.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM

6,290 posts, read 21,560,253 times
I didn't have an iota where Niota was either.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:47 PM

70 posts, read 277,467 times
Default Hi, Florida-to-Niota 2010!

My wife and I live about 14 miles 'down the road' from Niota, in Riceville which is about one-tenth the size of Niota! Niota at least has a couple og stop lights and a pretty good golf course - we don't even have a flashing yellow light! But hey, that's counrty living and that's the beauty of it!

We have now live in this area just over 20 years (for the 9 years, we lived a little further 'down the road' in Cleveland) and we too, came from somwhere else - Atlanta for us. We love the land and we love the people. I would say that all of Tennessee is beautiful – urban areas tend to be, well, urban and country areas hold up to their name as well. If you’re moving from a metro area to Niota, it will be something of a culture shock – but that would be the case anywhere in the country. However, if you really want to flush-out whatever you’re leaving behind, a new adventure in Tennessee could be truly rewarding.

As for Niota in particular, it is still a very small town and I would say it is still trying to "find" itself or develop some form if identity. Is there a compelling reason you're focused on Niota? I'm not putting it donw but I would think a good many folks would have some reason to move there - to live in Mom's old place - or something like that. Niota is in McMinn County and the county seat is Athens, which is about 8 miles 'down the road'. Athens has a population of around 18,000 (more if you count the dogs and cats).

The real beauty of this area of the Tennessee Valley is that we are exactly in-between Chattanooga and Knoxville - about an hour's drive will put you right in the middle of things! Then, if you really have a need for the "big city", Atlanta is only a little over 2 hours away.

As for work, I commute up near Knoxville and my wife heads down to Chattanooga. In our area, I-75 is a dream for rush hour! In either of these cities, it can be a headache - but if most of your commute is out in the country, it's not bad.

We live on about 7 acres of land, with several out buildings. We own one of the oldest homes in McMinn County - built in 1838 - and we have just recently finished a complete restoration. It has been featured in the local paper twice and will be included in a new book being published by the McMinn County Historical Society of important historical buildings in the county.

Incidentally, 2 of our neighbors have horses and there is fishing and hunting aplenty for those interested. The Tennessee River runs through the Tennessee Valley and both Chattanooga and Knoxville are on the river. The TVA is here (remember Roosevelt’s ‘New Deal’ after the Great Depression where he created, among other things, the TVA?) and it manages a number of dams along the river for hydro-electric power.

I would be more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: ad

Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayman421 View Post
Not to be negative but do you already have jobs? Jobs that pay well are hard to find in that area, unless you like factory work, then there is a lot of them.

It is also a dry town/county. Have to drive to Knoxville to buy booze and to buy beer on Sunday you have to drive 6 miles to Athens! HA HA! Really stupid people there. Or very backwards to say the least. I moved to sweetwater from Fl and am back in Fl - would like to move back to TN but will move closer to Cookeville, Knoxville or Bristol when I do. Athens/Niota area is too much a depressed area.
I'll be retired. So I guess I'll have to find something more important than beer or booze to focus on.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botts View Post
My wife and I live about 14 miles 'down the road' from Niota, in Riceville which is about one-tenth the size of Niota! Niota at least has a couple og stop lights and a pretty good golf course - we don't even have a flashing yellow light! But hey, that's counrty living and that's the beauty of it!

We have now live in this area just over 20 years (for the 9 years, we lived a little further 'down the road' in Cleveland) and we too, came from somwhere else - Atlanta for us. We love the land and we love the people. I would say that all of Tennessee is beautiful – urban areas tend to be, well, urban and country areas hold up to their name as well. If you’re moving from a metro area to Niota, it will be something of a culture shock – but that would be the case anywhere in the country. However, if you really want to flush-out whatever you’re leaving behind, a new adventure in Tennessee could be truly rewarding.

As for Niota in particular, it is still a very small town and I would say it is still trying to "find" itself or develop some form if identity. Is there a compelling reason you're focused on Niota? I'm not putting it donw but I would think a good many folks would have some reason to move there - to live in Mom's old place - or something like that. Niota is in McMinn County and the county seat is Athens, which is about 8 miles 'down the road'. Athens has a population of around 18,000 (more if you count the dogs and cats).

The real beauty of this area of the Tennessee Valley is that we are exactly in-between Chattanooga and Knoxville - about an hour's drive will put you right in the middle of things! Then, if you really have a need for the "big city", Atlanta is only a little over 2 hours away.

As for work, I commute up near Knoxville and my wife heads down to Chattanooga. In our area, I-75 is a dream for rush hour! In either of these cities, it can be a headache - but if most of your commute is out in the country, it's not bad.

We live on about 7 acres of land, with several out buildings. We own one of the oldest homes in McMinn County - built in 1838 - and we have just recently finished a complete restoration. It has been featured in the local paper twice and will be included in a new book being published by the McMinn County Historical Society of important historical buildings in the county. The interesting part of this is that we have decided to sell our home - probably next Spring.

Incidentally, 2 of our neighbors have horses and there is fishing and hunting aplenty for those interested. The Tennessee River runs through the Tennessee Valley and both Chattanooga and Knoxville are on the river. The TVA is here (remember Roosevelt’s ‘New Deal’ after the Great Depression where he created, among other things, the TVA?) and it manages a number of dams along the river for hydro-electric power.

I would be more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for all the info. We have property there. And I love country living. I'm used to driving 45mins to and from work. I did that for 12 years. So driving a little way to do something fun can't be that hard. It will be nice to slow down a little. I've worked hard all my life, so I want to be able to relax some. Can't afford to retire in Florida.
If I have any questions, I will keep you in mind.
Thanks again. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
athens utilities provides the electric and gas, niota supplies the water, and TDS is phone provider.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 PM

821 posts, read 1,865,899 times
I was born and raised in Niota, still live here

Electric, it depends on what part of Niota you live in
I have Sweetwater Utilities some have Athens

Phone, part is TDS (which is what I have) other part of family that live here has a Sweetwater phone number

Water, some have city but out in the country you have to have your own well

I just went to an estate sale auction today in Calhoun and the land sold between 2200 to 4000 per acre. I bought some last year for 10,000 per acre but it's all about location location location and view.

any other que ask away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee